cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else having trouble closing Sprint Navigation app on Hero after 2.1 update?

Journeyman

Is anyone else having trouble closing Sprint Navigation app on Hero after 2.1 update?

I recently upgraded to the 2.1 operating system for my HTC Hero.  Although I initially downloaded a Task Killer app, I quickly found that my available memory was steadily decreasing. After reading some discussion threads, I decided to see what happened if I removed the task killer app and allowed the stock application management system to work.  I removed the Advanced Task Killer app and did a hard reboot to my phone. To my amazement, I noticed that the awake time for my Hero decreased to the neighborhood of 5% with much increased battery life.  Also, my available memory was staying around 100 MB.

However, without a task killer app, I have noticed the following glitch.  After using the Sprint Navigation system, and exiting out using the back button, the navigation icon remains in the task bar in the upper left corner of my phone (presumably, meaning it is still running in the back ground after I exit).  The only way I am able to get this icon to go away is to do a hard reset.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  Is there a way to get the navigation system to close?  Thanks for any tips you can offer!

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Is anyone else having trouble closing Sprint Navigation app on Hero after 2.1 update?

jeffreyschatz wrote:

I recently upgraded to the 2.1 operating system for my HTC Hero.  Although I initially downloaded a Task Killer app, I quickly found that my available memory was steadily decreasing. After reading some discussion threads, I decided to see what happened if I removed the task killer app and allowed the stock application management system to work.  I removed the Advanced Task Killer app and did a hard reboot to my phone. To my amazement, I noticed that the awake time for my Hero decreased to the neighborhood of 5% with much increased battery life.  Also, my available memory was staying around 100 MB.

However, without a task killer app, I have noticed the following glitch.  After using the Sprint Navigation system, and exiting out using the back button, the navigation icon remains in the task bar in the upper left corner of my phone (presumably, meaning it is still running in the back ground after I exit).  The only way I am able to get this icon to go away is to do a hard reset.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  Is there a way to get the navigation system to close?  Thanks for any tips you can offer!

I'm not having this issue in particular. I've stopped using Sprint Navigator and moved to the free Google Navigation software because I like it better.

But I am having the issue of Sprint Navigator launching itself and running as a background process when I have never even turned it on. The Sprint TV widget is doing the same thing and I've never ever used it.

Worse, when I kill the process it re-launches again later without me knowing...very frustrating.

I so wish that I could uninstall apps that I don't want and don't use. Especially if the developers are going to do such shoddy work on the thing.

Journeyman

Re: Is anyone else having trouble closing Sprint Navigation app on Hero after 2.1 update?

I'll give the Google navigation app a try, thanks.  While still using the Task Killer, I, too, noticed that certain applications would turn themselves on without apparent explanation.  I just went into the stock application management system and found, just like you, that the Sprint TV widget was running.  I have never once turned this on. Very frustrating - I agree.  It WOULD be nice to be able to remove some of the pre-installed apps and widgets.   Thanks for your insights.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jeffreyschatz wrote:

I'll give the Google navigation app a try, thanks.  While still using the Task Killer, I, too, noticed that certain applications would turn themselves on without apparent explanation.  I just went into the stock application management system and found, just like you, that the Sprint TV widget was running.  I have never once turned this on. Very frustrating - I agree.  It WOULD be nice to be able to remove some of the pre-installed apps and widgets.   Thanks for your insights.

It may take you a bit to get used to the voice used in Google Navigator. I hated it at first, now I don't really notice it much.

But the NAV software is lots better to me than the Sprint one. I really like the satellite view maps, the ability to show points of interest along my path like restaurants and gas stations. And I like how when I arrive at my destination it pops up a street view picture so I know I'm at the right place.

It also seems more accurate to me. I can get off of the freeway and it knows I'm on the service road. It also hasn't had as many wrong directions as the Sprint Nav. I would always get a "your destination is on the right" when it was really on the left. I don't get those any more.

Journeyman

I don't even use Sprint Navigation and I too see the app starting itself in the background. It's that and the Amazon MP3 app (which I can't uninstall from my phone for some reason).  I hate using AppKillers or TasKillers, but using them speeds up my phone so much more. I just don't understand why Sprint's Navigation tool keeps starting itself (that or Sprint's NFL App which I loathe).  Oh whatever. This phone has other problems that are more pressing than apps just starting up (can we say "ring lag"?).

Journeyman

I hear you about the lag in receiving incoming calls.  I've had my girlfriend call me while we're in the same room and it can take 10 seconds or more before the ring starts.  Maybe they're working so hard to make these phones "smart" that they've forgotten that one of their primary functions should be to answer simple phone calls!

Journeyman

I'm beginning to suspect that this is an HTC issue, not just a Hero issue. You can see the gripes and complaints about the Holy EVO in this forum and other Android forums. What is the major gripe? Ring lag, battery issues due to 4G, and laggy response time with the touchscreen. Wow. I should've stuck with Samsung. Despite the truly bad impression I had with the Instinct (and all the movie theater commercials of how it would be BETTER than the iPhone). I've had nothing but headaches with smartphones in general. It's not entirely Sprint's fault.  These days, smartphones are more smart than they are phone.

Journeyman

I also had the Samsung Instinct for about a year and a half before upgrading to the Hero.  I thought it was a pretty dependable phone, with GREAT battery life.  But that also may be due to the fact that I didn't download much in the way of additional applicatilns or services beyond what the phone came with.  I also hate to admit I've never once used these phones as an MP3 player either.  I was initially very dissapointed with the battery life of the Hero compared to the Instinct. Fortunately, I found all the tricks and suggestions (basically turn off everything) to extend that greatly.  Since I just got into the Hero in early May, I figure there's at least a year for the problems with the EVO to be worked out before I upgrade to it or something like it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat