cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it bad to leave the phone charging even after it has reached 100% battery?

Patron

Is it bad to leave the phone charging even after it has reached 100% battery?

So if you're battery has reached 100%, is it better to go ahead and unplug the charger? Or leave it on?

FYI: I am not using the charger that came with the Hero. I am using a motorola charger that came with my old Razr since it is mini-USB.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is it bad to leave the phone charging even after it has reached 100% battery?

Hmmmm thats a good question!!! I know on my diamond and most products that use lithium ion batteries, if you leave it plugged in at 100% it will start getting a build up of crystals inside the batterie and the battery cant charge as much, im wandering if thats resolved in this "super" phone.

Journeyman

Re: Is it bad to leave the phone charging even after it has reached 100% battery?

hm.... never heard about this... i wonder how is it with our phones... since my phone is plugged in for 7-8 hours every night.

Journeyman

I'm also curious about this, as well as charging the phone(battery) while it has 75% charge remaining. A Blackberry (T-mobile) owner told me once that an associate (T-mobile) advised her to turn off her phone while charging to prolong the battery.

Journeyman

Between the microchip in the battery (which prevents overcharging) the phone's programming (not to overcharge) and the prevention built in to your HTC charger (which came with the phone) there should be absolutely no danger in leaving your phone plugged in. You have to remember that even with the best of conditioning methods, your battery will eventually lose performance and need replaced. I have always been a "plug it in at night before I go to bed" kinda guy with all my phones and never experienced any significant degredation in performance over the 2-year time frame of ownership. Not to say the crystals forming thing isn't true, I just have yet to see any harm from doing so. I would like to see more info on the whole crystal thing if someone finds it, because I'm curious as to what extent occurs and it's potential effect on battery performance.

Journeyman

I  believe that charging the battery to 100% full  "before" the phone has ever been turned on for the first time will significantly improve battery life throughout its life.

My reasoning behind this theory is this. When We first got our Instincts, I charged mine completely before activating....my wife didnt. For weeks after, mine lasted a full day of heavy use, while hers lasted literally hours less with much less use....both being charged 100% overnight. This has to have some bearing on the battery situation because the same is happening now with our Heros.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat