cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to unlock the Motorola Droid for use on Sprint network?

Highlighted
Patron

Is it possible to unlock the Motorola Droid for use on Sprint network?

There is a rumor among the android blogs that Best Buy might sell the Droid with no contract for $ 599. I looked at the the specs of the droid on the leaked motorola droid website and it is a 800/1900 MHz EVDO Rev. A dual band phone just like the Hero. With that said, can I buy it off-contract from best buy and unlock it so I can use it with sprint? I don't want to switch to Verizon as I like sprint's rates, coverage and service but I definitely must have an android phone with a Cortex A8 processor and real keyboard and the droid is just that. I know the Moment is coming but even though the processor is clocked faster than the 528 MHz on all of the current android devices; is still the same old ARM11 type.

8 REPLIES 8
Patron

Re: Is it possible to unlock the Motorola Droid for use on Sprint network?

My wildass guess is:

A) The $599 price will vanish once the phone is released.  It's a placemarker -- for awhile IIRC the Hero was listed at $329, $429, $649 and that went away once the thing became official.

B) While the phones' radios can interoperate, the two networks have different software and customization, so you can't just bring one over to the other, at least, that's what I was told about a year ago, when I purchased a very used and dumb cellphone to put on Sprint after they explained to me why various CDMA pay as you go phones couldn't be put on their network.

But boy, if I could get a Droid on Sprint's network, I would very much think about it, because I agree with you, Sprint seems to be a much better company with much better rates than Verizon.

(I like the Droid's specs and it's slider keyboard and bigger display -- still think the phone looks pretty ugly -- will be interesting to see it in person.)

Journeyman

It has been about 7 weeks since your last post on this subject.  I really like the idea of doing so because Sprint is faster and seems to be more customer friendly.  Do you know whether anyone has been to unlock the Motorola Droid for use on Sprint network?  Was Sprint open to this possibility? 

Journeyman

It has been about 7 weeks since your last post on this subject.  I really like the idea of doing so because Sprint is faster and seems to be more customer friendly.  Do you know whether anyone has been to unlock the Motorola Droid for use on Sprint network?  Was Sprint open to this possibility?

Journeyman

JohnCicero wrote:

My understanding with Sprint and Verizon is that the network is technically compatible, which means you can move phones between the two carriers (same as T-Mobile and AT&T...their's is easier due to the SIM cards).

However, the roadblock you may run into is company policy.  I do believe that Sprint's policy is that they will not activate any phone on their network that does not have Sprint branding on it.  Maybe you can get a tech to do that for you if you ask nicely...but don't hold your breath on it.

The customizations may pose a problem...but if you do base apps, you may be fine.

Master

Technologically it is possible since Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA. However, Sprint policy is to not allow devices on the network that are not authorized and already in the serial number database (Sprint-branded)

Journeyman

Hey, does anyone know if sprint is going to have their own droid motorola phone? Dag, can i get one please?

Journeyman

Other than the keyboard, the Nexus One is a better phone, so I would go for that when it is released for Sprint. Droid just won't work on Sprint thanks to their policy. It sucks, but that is their policy. Again Nexus One is better and will get updates faster.

Journeyman

Would it be possible to subscribe to Sprint for 3G/4G internet access only, then use Google voice or skype on the Droid?

It is just data, the whole idea of differenitating between voice and data is a marketing ploy.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat