cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the HTC Hero still a worthy buy??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is the HTC Hero still a worthy buy??

Hey guys, its already been 3 months since the Hero came out and its starting to become more and more outdated with these new phones available (Droid, Nexus 1, etc). I was just wondering if anyone still thinks the Hero is a worthy buy? Or am i just better of waiting for Sprint's nonexistent upcoming smart phones (legitimate android phones)?

24 REPLIES 24
Wizard

Re: Is the HTC Hero still a worthy buy??

Just an opinion: I'm on the sidelines and bypassed the Hero/Moment in Oct./Nov.  Android just seemed like a rapidly changing platform; sort of like a rev. 2 design.  I don't want to be an early adopter, I'd rather see the platform settle down a bit, and I tend to like to get some life out of my technology buys. I will likely get in on the next version (which will be a design similar to Nexus 1, I suppose) maybe this summer or fall.  These phones aren't cheap. 

At this point I wouldn't consider the Hero until AFTER it gets it's v2.1 upgrade (let's see how it runs).  I think some may think they can keep souping up the Hero but I'm afraid that these power users may find out that they've become hardware limited.

I suspect shortly after or around the Hero/Moment upgrades they'll be another Android phone from HTC and/or Moto or LG. Supposedly, HTC has applied to FCC for a 4G phone which will come to Sprint.

Android is moving so fast, and it seems such a disturbed model in some ways, I think this platform won't settle down until the hardware design gets powered up (faster processors and more memory for applications) to handle the software; around when v3.0 comes out. Probably in a year!

Journeyman

Yeah i agree. I've been able to upgrade for the last 6 months now and I'm still waiting for something worth every dime. I wasn't a fan of the palm pre when it launched and there were just too many issues with the Hero regarding its hardware and battery. I have the original LG Rumor right now and I dont know how much longer I can take it. All my friends are with other carriers getting their hands on great phones while I'm stuck with the same phone i see in the hands of young teenage textaholics. I might be to picky, or cheap, but with CES being a disappointment, i feel like i might as well get the Hero if nothing is coming soon. But I'm not giving up that quick and I'm just going to keep waiting. But after spending two years with a crappy LG phone, I kind of hesitant about the new LG android phone announced. Like a lot of other sprint customers, I'm still waiting for a phone that competes with other powerhouse phones all belonging to every other carrier.

Journeyman

Not until Sprint gets a working sandwich maker integrated into the phone will I upgrade. Sprint GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! I want a sandwich and I want it piping hot from my phone, NOW!

I hear the Nexus one has a built in toaster.. close enough..

Journeyman

Is it a good phone?  Sure it is.  Is it worth buying?  that dependes.

$180? not on my life.  Verizon has the Eris at $0. Thats tough to beat but if you had to pay $49 for the hero?  That may be doable.

Would I do it?  not on your life.  I did the same sidelining.  Now I am going to wait for my sandwich maker.

Journeyman

It's still one of the two best phones Sprint has along with the TP2.  I've had mine since day one and have had no issues. It could benefut from a faster processir and more memory. It has a great feel and does a lot.  I'm dissappointed with CES, too, and there isn't even any hints that Sprint has anything in the pipeline.

Journeyman

The thing about technology is that no matter how long you wait for that perfect device, there will always be something cooler/more advanced shortly after. If you always wait for the best thng ever to come out, you'll end up with that same old RAZR in 2025. Is the Hero a good buy? Heck yes. Is it the perfect phone? No, but nothing will ever be. Mine has never given me one problem, battery life and hardware have always been good. Its a great phone. If you want to keep waiting, go ahead. But this is a very solid device at this point in time.

Journeyman

I still love my Hero.  No problems, it does what I need.  I bought it the first day, then got the Best Buy $50.00 off.  I think it is well worth it.

Journeyman

The Hero is definitely worth the buy imho.

Journeyman

I agree the phone is worth it.  The only real problem I have is the sometime ring lag which I'm hoping is fixed with 2.1 other than that I would have a very hard time going back to a windows phone.

Journeyman

Not until it gets 2.1 and we see if the processor can handle 2.1. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Nexus One.

Journeyman

This is the best phone I have had.  HTC Sense makes this phone better than any other android device.  Nexus One is pretty cool and gives the Hero a run for it's money but the Droid isn't even close.  Plus any issues the Hero had was either fixed with the update (Not 2.1) or can be vastly improved by rooting.  This may sound compicated and risky but it isn't and has made the phone very quick and responsive.  There is also a very good chance that the Developers will have 2.1 ready before Sprint does.  They already have it about 75% of the way.  The Nexus One would be intriguing but I think the Hero is still the best phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat