cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a need to secure a rooted Sprint Hero?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a need to secure a rooted Sprint Hero?

I was thinking about the relatively recent issue of the jailbroken iPhone being hacked b/c the default password was not changed. 

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-secure-your-jailbroken-iphone-from-ssh-hack-9140084/

Is there a same issue for rooted Hero's?

How do you change the default password for a rooted Hero?  This is one of the main concerns that prevent me from rooting my Hero so far.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Is there a need to secure a rooted Sprint Hero?

well - there are several aspects to the story, itself - and the idea of applying-said-story/fear to the rooting of your-own-sprint-hero device...  i cannot tell you (because i have not, so far, cared) whether there is even a reasonable chance that most rooted-heros would be susceptible to any vulnerabilities...  however, if you are moderately paranoid then you have several means of solving this potential-problem...  the real question is (to my mind) WHY do you want to root your hero in the first place ?  just to say youve 'done it' ?  in that case, go ahead and 'do it' and then remove the root-shell when youve accomplished it...  (ie - you can always 'unroot' your hero).

if your goals in rooting your phone are more than the 'i did it' variety - lets say to remove extra apps - or to make a full backup - then there is a 'slight' chance that youll be susceptible to an exploit, but youd prolly never encounter it...  the users who were 'abused' in the netherlands, were running some fairly sophisticated additions to their phone (an openssh server) and shouldve been reasonably aware of basic-security-issues like changing their default password and not-falling-victim to a phishing-scheme...

otoh, you have a point - i have not checked to see what (if any) passwords (if any) are used on the hero...  also, theres the question of what information is likely to be lost if/when you are possibly-hacked...  idk - i feel like the risks are worth the rewards...  and fundamentally, that is the choice that we all make every day in every way (as i go out to my car to drive to the store...lol)...  im reminded of that old-saying that if you design something to be idiot-proof, then it wont be long before they design a better-idiot...  😉  gl, h.

Journeyman

The answer is no.

The longer answer is that there's no "default password" for the Hero the way there is on the vulnerable iPhones. Those iPhones have an SSH server installed, which allows remote root access - the Hero does not. Some custom ROMs include one, but they also create a random password and not a common default password.

Journeyman

thx for all the input - basically no need to secure a rooted sprint hero

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat