cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's get real about 2.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's get real about 2.1

We can honestly say Sprint publicized "1H2010" and said at another point in time "early 2Q2010" then came back later with just "2Q2010" wether we like this or not this is what has been offered. Well that is just second-rate at best because the competition, having said less, has delivered more 'officially".

We don't know what challenges Sprint is or is not facing in delivering 2.1 to the Hero...we do know that VZW has overcome or settled out on it's challenges for the very similar Droid Eris and began "official" public rollout...Sprint has not.

Of the Android phones currently on the market for the average consumer to buy and activate now through normal channels Sprint has 2, a recently updated Samsung Moment with 2.1 and the HTC Hero still on 1.5. There were 6 phones running 1.5 in 1Q2010 Sprint finally move one of it's only two units to 2.1, there were 8 units on 1.6 none to Sprints credit. Sprint can boast 1st Android but, also running the lowest rev. of the OS with no other higher rev. units to offer until just days ao.

HTC’s EVO 4G smartphone — the first 4G smartphone on the Sprint network, in fact — is now available for pre-order at RadioShack as of today (May 14th). Like most other locations offering the device, the EVO will be officially available on the fourth of June

http://erictric.com/2010/05/14/htc-evo-4g-now-available-for-pre-order-at-radioshack/

Sprint has begun the pre-order for the EVO and June 4th will allow EVO to be on the market with enough time to squeek out a late 2Q2010 release of the 2.1 update to Hero as many have been saying (no 2.1 on Hero til after EVO) despite any defense being offered that such a thing would not happen. Fact is it is very POSSIBLE to do this, it has marketing advantages is some ways and would allow Sprint to pull it off while still meeting the technical promise of 1H2010 & 2Q2010...that's just bottom line business and inconsiderate to current customers with HTC Hero.

Who's decision, who's fault and all the aledged or possible hurdles one can drum up...sound like a real tap dance around the bottom line. Why defend that for free while Hero owners pay to get mushroomed?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

I think that maybe the plan all along with the timeframes of "1H2010" "Early 2Q2010" and "2Q2010" were meant to be for the Samsung. Perhaps there never was any timeframe for the Hero to be updated. Any ideas as to why Sprint couldn't release the update for both phones on the same date? I've been in contact with HTC hoping to get more information than what Sprint is providing, and I've been saying that the update was released to Verizon for the Eris, which is similar to the Hero. I've also been saying that given that it was release to Verizon and now to the Samsung Moment, the update is obviously ready. HTC keeps saying that they have no information to provide -- exactly what Sprint is saying. It's like Sprint has it but is waiting for some key date and has maybe said to HTC to not release information about any dates. Just wondering if it's worth it to just use the update posted at Android Central.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After reading all this stuff on the new 2.1 leak w/ release keys, I'll have to admit im ready to say screw and get the leak from android central, does anyone know what can be done, so if i chose to root i won't mess up my phone?, more importantly is there away to get the updated leak w/o rooting? Any feedback is appreciated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The newest leak doesn't need root. Just make sure you never intend to have root, as there is a lot of speculation it will be a pain to do after you update to 2.1. If you get the new leak with signed release keys, it is actually a RUU, which you run from a windows computer and it flashes the new ROM to your phone. The problem is, this will delete all the data off your internal memory, so you will lose apps, settings, and any contacts/calendars that aren't properly backed up. It should be safe to run, and this is going to be the way the update will probably be released anyway. It will probably be an over the wire update that will flash your phone. Anyways, this seems to be the official release, not a test one and no root required. Again, if you go through with it, you may never be able to go back, so choose wisely.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat