cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live search like on Instinct?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Live search like on Instinct?

Is there something for the Hero that is like the Live search feature that links to our NAV software like on the Instinct? I loved finding something and hitting the drive to button and NAV opening and telling me that I was now off course...

Everything that I've tried now seems to link to google maps or the web browser but not to Sprint Navigation.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Live search like on Instinct?

When using google maps, you can speak your search or type it just like the live search of the instinct. When you ask the application for directions you should be prompted with what app you want directions from, sprint nav or google maps. If you click sprint nave it will auto map a driving destination of your search. I have done it once or twice.

Journeyman

kayos wrote:

When using google maps, you can speak your search or type it just like the live search of the instinct. When you ask the application for directions you should be prompted with what app you want directions from, sprint nav or google maps. If you click sprint nave it will auto map a driving destination of your search. I have done it once or twice.

Kayos, I really like the speech recognition in Google Maps since it is not available in Sprint Navigation (except for dailing out to TeleNav) and I know that other applications like People on the Hero prompt you for Sprint Nav or Google Maps like your saying, but I have not seen Google Maps prompt to use Sprint Navigation for directions anywhere.  Where does Google Maps on the Hero link you to Sprint Navigation as you are saying?

Journeyman

Any new answers on this?  I really miss this feature since switching from an Instinct to a Hero.  I can't seem to get an option for turn by turn nav with the google search, just a map which isn't very helpful when i'm driving!

Journeyman

I completly understand you on this issue. This was one of the things that kept me from the buying the Palm Pre in the first place, which was a blessing because I love my Hero! Looks like now you have to go directly through the Sprint Navigation App. do a search and get directions from there. BUT... I could have sworn that when I first got my phone ( a couple weeks prior to the latest update) from the Voice Search I said "Best Buy", it then took me to the websites with the addresses, I choose the closest one, clicked directions and it asked me if I wanted to use Browser, GoogleMaps or Sprint Navigation. I know because I bragged about it to my husband in the car how it was so cool I could do that, LOL. But, I just tried to do it again and Sprint Nav. was not an option. Strange, maybe it's the update that messed that up also. So for now, the closest thing I have found to the live search from our Instinct will have to be the Voice Search with no Sprint Nav. Though it's not voice activated like the instinct, it get's you directions. I must admit we still use my husbands Instinct as our little "phone book". When in the car I usually just need random phone numbers from let's say the nearest Best Buy or something and I always use my Voice search widget for that and then dial directly from there. I love the way it takes to me to the internet and I can just touch the phone # to dial the store. I hardly ever need driving directions though.

Also - As a work-around for now, couldn't you just save the address to your contacts and then pull it up from Sprint navigation app > contacts ... that'd work too right?

Message was edited by: denisew1972

Journeyman

Usually my husband IS my GPS, so if I've got someone to watch the map for me, I don't need it in the first place.  I usually am alone and need the voice directions.  I think I'll call Sprint on this one.  Hopefully it's somnething that's fixable, as I see this as a big step backwards from the instinct!!!

Journeyman

DaWeav - Thanks for clearing that up... When I search for things I use often I automaticaly save to my contacts for later use. My contacts is where I had the option to get directions via the Sprint Nav. app or Goggle Maps. I knew I had that option somewhere just couldn't remember where.

Jturnbow- Keep us posted on what Sprint had to say.... Maybe they will make an app for us. I still feel this phone is not a step back from Instinct. With so many apps out there at least one is bound to help you out. I did try one called Where - It was kinda like the Live search but it sucked the heck outta my battery life and was a little "buggy", that was a couple months ago though, maybe they updated it since then.

Journeyman

Where works great for me and has absolutely no impact on battery life and has its on voice search.

Journeyman

I'm not sure if u can choose between Google and Sprint Nav (I'll try it when I leave work this morning) but, "Where" from the App store is WAY better then "Live Search".  Give it a shot

Journeyman

I downloaded Where, but it still won't get me to the nav system.  It just gives me a map of the location.  Am I missing something?

Journeyman

I tried it and don't see a way to get it to go to SprintNav.  Not sure why, would make it a LOT more useful

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat