cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location shows as Bayingolin, China???

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I'm at home (60030) my home screen w/time displays that I am in Bayingolin. Is this something wrong with the cell tower near my house or an app that I have installed? I deleted the location after shutting down the wireless network. It keeps coming back.

Anybody got any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Location shows as Bayingolin, China???

I had this happen to my Hero after the time change. I was able to correct it by going to Settings<Date & Time. I unchecked the box for Automatic and then re-checked the box. Almost instantly the phone switched to the correct city and the time was displayed correctly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Location shows as Bayingolin, China???

Well, that worked for a minute or two. Its back. I think the cell tower near my house has been hacked. SPRINT ???!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, revisited the location issue because now my google map app is showing me flurting back and fourth from Grayslake, Illinois (real location) and some freaky places in the middle of nowhere in China. GPS is turned on and good signal from outside. Bayingolin disappeared from the weather widget and has been replaced by Turpan. I guess thats where google maps has me at too..Turpan China?  Totally frustated.

I think I found the issue and possible permanent fix. Messing around with google maps and layers. I signed out of google latitude. I think ITS FIXED. Position on google maps correct and weather app is correctly giving me Grayslake weather. I will update this post again if the China Syndrome reappears.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Darn, its back...TURPAN...same thing google maps plotting me in China. NOT Fixed!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also in Grayslake and have the same problem on all 5 of my HTC Heros!!!  It has to be the cell tower.  I think I've isolated the problem.  The Lat/Long of Grayslake is 42.349/-88.016 and the Lat/Long of Turpan is 42.349/88.016.  For some reason, the cell tower is not reporting the negative Longitude.  That is why we are in Turpan and sometimes Bayingolin, it's right next to Turpan.

Highlighted
Master

I've seen this happen numerous times, but only on Android devices made by HTC and running Sense UI for the interface. Using any other launcher app, I've never seen it have an issue when I had my Hero. My coworker with his EVO has this issue occasionally here in our store, yet my Epic using TouchWiz or LauncherPro and Fancy Widget are not affected.

This leads me to believe it's something with the HTC software, not Android or the network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to lean toward the cell tower near Grayslake is sending the wrong data out. I've had the Hero for about a year now and I have never had it give incorrect location information except when I am at home. Could be the Hero software but if that were the deal then I would be getting incorrect locations elsewhere, right?

I wonder if someone from Sprint is reading these and can do some diagnostic on the towers near Grayslake??

Thanks Bully319

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, to further support the tower near Grayslake theory.  I downloaded a RADAR NOW app from Marketplace. It uses the Mobile Network to get location information.  It works outside the Grayslake area but when I am in Grayslake, it says that this Application can only be used in the United States!  Maybe Grayslake has become a Sovereign State no longer part of the U.S. but I am going with the Cell Tower Being Incorrect Theory instead.  I don't know what we can do to have Sprint take a look at this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm just going to turn off mobile network when around home. I'll use wifi instead. This stops the erroneous location from popping up in all my apps. And yes I checked with Itouchmap.com and my location at home transfers to exact spot on the map that google maps and everything else on my phone says I'm at when you change longitde to positive reading.

Maybe we have a weird black hole here in Grayslake somewhere where time and space are mirror versions of themselves.... Where is the Android Commander Data when you need him?

Beam me up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also getting the Bayingolin city on my phone on a periodic basis. I am in Chicago on the near west side and nowhere near Grayslake, ILL. This is very frustrating to say the least. Any others in Chicago have this problem. I have an EVO HTC phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Sanixter.  What is your Lat/Long location when you see Bayingolin?  I bet if your transpose your negative longitude value to a positive value, that you will be in Bayingolin, China.  If it's not the tower, then there is something wrong with the calculation within the android operating system.  Like I said before, it's not just the weather App that is reporting the wrong location but other third party Apps like RADAR NOW that is also unable to determine the correct location.  It is very frustrating and I am at a loss at to what to do.  The local Sprint shop where I live is aware of the problem but has no solution.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat