Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of USB connectivity from HTC Hero to Windows PC after Android 2.1 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Loss of USB connectivity from HTC Hero to Windows PC after Android 2.1 update

Hello,

I installed "HTC Sprint Hero MR 2.27.651.5.exe" and while the upgrade appears to have gone smoothly, I have lost my ability to connect the Hero to my Windows PC.

I have two Heros, and the phone on which I have not yet installed the 2.1 update is able to connect to the same PC without issue.

Needless to say, USB connectivity used to function; after all, such connectivity was required to install the update in the first place.

Now, whenever I attach the phone to the PC's USB port, the phone never presents itself to the PC. Windows does not recognize that a new device has been attached, and the phone never displays the USB nor Sync icons in the status notification area. The USB connection is solid, as evidenced by the fact that the phone charges while connected, and the same USB cable works fine for my other Hero that's still running Android 1.5.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Message was edited by: charlesjohnson15 (correction: changed references to 2.2 update to 2.1)

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup, same problem here.  Did the update last night, and after waiting for the official one at that to avoid any problems, and ha, no such luck.  Same syptoms.  Everything works fine, except does'nt register when plugged in to pc.  It only charges as if plugged into the wall.  It connected fine before update.  I don't know what to do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you find any other info\solutions to this problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem.  After installing the 2.1 OS upgrade I can no long connect via USB.  My computer (Windows 7 x64) doesn't seem to even recognize that the phone is connected.  Nothing listed in device manager, etc.  I tried to uninstalling the HTC driver and HTC Synch software but that makes no difference.  Running out of ideas.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As a Hero owner if I update the phone at a sprint store and the USB messes up. Will they fix it before I leave?

Highlighted

I am not sure but it seems like Windows 7 x64 is a common thread. I know that someone tried it on another computer but I thought I remembered it did not have the updated HTC sync on it. Maybe the USB connection is really there just not with your computers. Maybe HTC can let you know if Sprint Techs don't. Anyway, worth a try to use another computer with upgraded HTC sync -

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, conradmr1. I thought about the Windows 7 thing, too, but a) I'm using Win7 32-bit, and b) my laptop has Windows XP Pro, and my phone's USB connection doesn't function there, either. Your recollection was correct in that my Win XP machine did not have the HTC Sync software, but then I installed it; I've tried it both ways.

Something is hosed on the phone. It's not the computer. As I stated in my initial post, I have a second Hero that is still running Android 1.5, and that phone continues to work just fine (with the new Sync software) on my Windows 7 machine.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but there has to be some piece of software that normally tells the phone to identify itself to the computer when the USB cable is connected on both ends. Perhaps a service or daemon of some kind. I wonder if that piece of software is not running for some reason.

Does anyone know enough about the phone to help us out on the software side? It's not a hardware issue, from the looks of it.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Geekdad, the better question is whether or not Sprint will be able to fix your phone if this issue affects it after the update. There may be nothing they can do for you, other than give you a new phone. Given that most of your data is probably online with Google (contacts etc.), and that your pics and so forth are stored on the MicroSD card, that may not be a bad option. I think I'll head down to my local Sprint store shortly and check it out.

I'll let you all know what I learn.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I complained about the problem to sprint the day the update came out ive tried connecting on three diffrent computer since the upgrade but the usb is now bricked , not only will it not recognize the htc sync but none of my comps will even recognize the hero as a mass storage device the rom upgrade just blocks the port but u can still charge fine

Highlighted
Journeyman

rafexxx, how did you finally resolve the issue? Did Sprint offer to replace your phone?

I just tried running the 2.1 update on my second Hero and it worked fine. The USB port functions as expected.

I wonder what's different about the phones on which the update is breaking USB connectivity. One thing I noticed is that the phone on which the update broke USB does not have the "with Google" logo on the battery cover, whereas the fully-functional Hero does. I doubt it's related, but anything is possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone tried this... menu>settings>connect to pc>default connection type  options should be charge only, htc sync, disk drive, and internet sharing. you should also set it to ask you every time you connect usb

I am not having this problem so im no sure if this will solve your problem but i didnt see anyone suggest it..

Are people having this problem only with the offical sprint up date are the leaked version as well? I have the leaked version currently..

Message was edited by: chris102878

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, Chris, yes, I have looked at the Connect to PC options, and they are set as you describe (we did discuss that a bit earlier in the thread).

My USB connectivity was trashed by the official Sprint update (downloaded a few days ago), not a leaked copy.

Interestingly, I used the exact same installer on my second Hero, and the USB port works fine after the 2.1 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same issue months ago before the 2.1 update. After installing the sync update I could not connect to sync, but could mount memory card. Anway, I tracked the problem down to my antivirus program that was not allowing sync to initiate. It should have been disabled in the install, but somehow was not on the "allow" list. I'm running CA Anti-virus btw. It may be worth a check to see what permissions are assigned to "htcsyc.exe". Good Luck!

Phone: HTC Hero (Rooted)
ROM: DamageControl v2.08
Recovery: RA-HEROC-1.5.2

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat