Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Journeyman

Re: MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

I tested this on my Hero.

I was in WiFi mode and the Mobile network was offline as it normally does once you connect to WiFi.

I sent an SMS - OK

I sent an MMS - Failed.

I did notice that the Mobile Network notification icon popped up for about 1 second and disappeared. So it looks like its suppose to be smart enough to connect to the Sprint network... but doesn't quite work correct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do not have 3G so I am dependant on WiFi. Sometimes when the phone is idle for a bit or the screen locks, the WiFi connection disconnects, if you use ChompSMS that gives it enough time to snag the picture from 1x and get it into messages.

It is better than sitting there and tapping download multiple times waiting for a miracle. The mms will download over wifi if you are persistent enough with your download button tapping. But it is easier to just let Chomp do it in the background.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While not connected to wifi and using the 3g network, I seem to have like a 30% chance of the person that I'm trying to send an MMS message to actually getting the message.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It may be the case that you cannot technically send MMS over WiFi but my Palm Pre is always connected to WiFi and sends MMS just fine. It may disconnect the WiFi on the backend to send the message but it gets it done without me having to fuss with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is my point.  This is what I want the Hero to do: have an automated process for turning off WiFi, sending/receiving MMS, and then turning back on WiFi without any sort of user intervention.  Or, ideally, turning on the mobile network while still connected to WiFi and sending/receiving MMS, and then turning it off.  If would only have to be on for 5 seconds or less.  Again, it's not a big deal, but I feel like it's a software problem that should be fairly easy to iron out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Precisely.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has already been answered, but today I received this in response to a support request I opened on htc.com several days ago.

Fernando, transmission of MMS media requires a cellular connection and thus does not function on a Wi-Fi network.

MMS cannot transmit while connected to WiFi since your mobile data network is disconnected at that time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The frustrating thing, with that kind of response, is, we all know / understand that MMS can't be sent via WiFi.  The point is, HTC / Google / Sprint, the phone should be smart enough to handle and address accordingly.  The onus should not be on the end user to manully configure.

Further, most end users may not likely know the root cause of the problem, and not know to manually disengage WiFi.

Message was edited by: jsortino

Highlighted
Journeyman

We seem to all agree that WiFi doesn't send MMS. However, when I'm connected to Wifi with my Hero and try to send an MMS, my Mobile (EV) icon pops up briefly in the status bar (top). I think the software (Android or HTC) is trying to do a Sprint connection to send it, but it failing.

Can anyone else confirm they see the "attempt" to establish a  Sprint Mobile connection (icon)?

Thanks

Eric

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree there should be an automatic mechanism to disable WiFi or at least prompt/warn you that WiFi needs to be disabled. I had no clue when I first had the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The phone needs to be connected to a cellular network to sends MMS. I believe (don't quote me on this) that mobile network on the Hero is an active data connection. I turned my mobile network off and was still able to send sms and make calls. SMS sends over voice connection, while MMS is sent over the cellular data connection. That's why SMS works in WiFi, and MMS doesn't. And I haven't had any problems with my MMS whatsoever. Every pic I've sent has been received whether it was with the stock messenger or handcent. And I've received every one that has been sent.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As i said in my post on page one i had been in contact with HTC on this issue and he was having me try different settings to no success. I got a new email from HTC today and they are working on a fix. Here is what they said.

Hello Thomas,

I wanted to let you know that I have been working with our headquarters on this issue. They have found a way to replicate it, and are currently working with our engineers for a resolution. I will contact you again with their suggested resolution for this issue.

Thank you Thomas, 
HTC Technical Support

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat