Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Highlighted
Journeyman

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Hello everyone,

I have been having a problem with MMS messages on my Hero.  It seems that when I am connected to a WiFi access point, I can neither receive nor send MMS messages.  In order to send and receive, I have to turn off the WiFi and turn on the 3G radio.  Then my MMS messages download and send fine.  However, since alot of the time I will be in WiFi range this is sort of a cumbersome solution, to have to turn off the WiFi antenna periodically in order to sync up my MMS messages and then switch it back on again.

Is there any fix in the works for this problem?  I would appreciate an answer from someone at Sprint.

Thanks a lot!

86 REPLIES 86
Highlighted
Journeyman

Great.  Please keep us posted on any updates from HTC.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too hate to 'MANUALLY' drop the WiFi connection just to receive and MMS, and then 'MANUALLY' turn WiFi back on afterwards.  I've noticed that sometimes I see the 1x appear briefly on the Hero when I receive text message when WiFi is enabled.

I would think this is a simple IP/interface routing issue.  Android must have some IP table routing mechanism, and as such, should be able to be programmed to route IP traffic through a specific interface gateway.  Example: All traffic to/from mms.sprintpcs.com should be routed through the EvDo (3G) interface so that it can never get routed over the WiFi (eth0) interface connection.

Anyway, since a routing fix is available, hopefully apps like Handcent can do this automatically for us by turning WiFi off to receive the MMS and then turning WiFi back on after receiving the MMS.  Check out their forum thread; http://bbs.handcent.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=764 and post your support.

Journeyman

When the HTC Hero came out, I just knew that I had to have that phone although my Blackberry was amazing. I went to Best Buy and upgraded my phone to the Hero, and have loved it from day one. However, three days into having the phone my MMS messages would only come up as "download", and when I tried pushing the download button I'd get the unsuccessful message.

I got online with Sprint and the lady there couldn't help me, although we tried for over an hour. So I called Sprint and got online with the technical support team where I talked with a guy that was very helpful but still told me what I didn't want to hear. He told me that they'd had several issues recently with these phones and the MMS not working correctly and the only thing they knew how to do as the phone was still so new, was to reset the phone. That worked, for about 2 weeks. Yesterday I received several mms messages and everything was fine, but out of the blue last night it quit working again.

I've read a LOT of posts online regarding this issue. I have downloaded Handcent and while I love this application, it still is not allowing the MMS messages to come through. What I fear is that every time this happens, my phone will have to be reset. I don't want to have to reset my phone over and over, that takes too long to get my personal settings back to the way I like them and such.

I surely hope Sprint comes up with something fast as I'm finding that the issue is something on Sprint's side...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also had the MMS download problem and a hard reset restored MMS. I was reluctant to do the hard reset but had already been in contact with HTC/Sprint/Handcent and nobody seemed to know what was wrong. I wonder if the problem could be from a different app. After the hard reset I didn't reinstall all of the apps I had before and things seem to be working. The hard reset also fixed another problem (100% awake time).

Highlighted
Journeyman

The guy at Sprint told me the phones were just too new, but that being the case you'd think they would've held onto them until they had all the bugs fixed! The first time I had the issue I didn't even KNOW you could download apps, so that wasn't a problem for mine. Like I said, two or three days after getting the phone (over Christmas so I didn't really have a lot of time to play with the phone) the MMS stopped working. I don't even think I had changed any of the settings from factory.

I'm online with Sprint now and I told the lady that I don't think I should have to reset my phone over and over. I spent way too much money on this thing to be faulty from the get go. Might have to end up going back to my trustworthy blackberry curve if this continues! Sure hope they do something about it...I'm thinking it's an issue with Sprint mostly, although I saw a few scattered MMS issues from different carriers. Good Luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called in with the same issue on Monday, and they guy just had me remove the battery while he sent some sort of update to the phone.  When I turned it back on, all was good.  Seemed to be a simple fix of some sort to me.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had my Hero for about a week now.  I've had MMS issues from day one.  I finally called customer support last night and the tech. had me power off my phone, remove the battery and reboot.  He then had me update my profile. He sent me a test MMS and it worked fine.  After that I'm still having the same issues.  I get the message but am unable to download the attached pic.  I occasionally get a successful MMS from my wifes phone, and very rarely get one from anyone else. I refuse to do a hard reset on my own!!  Sounds like I will end up pushing Sprint to replace my phone with a new Hero and see if that fixes the problem.  Frustrated to say the least!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

A hard reset is actually easy and you don't really lose much. All pictures/music/ringtones save to the SD card and contacts can be backed up in Google/Gmail. You will have to reinstall apps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

a hard reset isn't hard, no, but in my case none of my contacts are IN google and when I reset my phone the last time they should've went to google but they didn't. Therefore I am left with no other option but to purchase a backup program for the phone. Just wish it were as easy to backup as my blackberry was, which came with it's own backup program and device manager.

I just came back from the Sprint store and they cannot do anything at this point with this problem. I was told it doesn't matter how many phones they replace, until HTC comes up with a solution for the problem then it will continue. You can keep resetting your phone, trade your phone for another one which in my case just isn't an option since I love this phone, have people email the pictures/videos to your phone (Most carriers allow email so that shouldn't be an issue), or you can simply wait it out. I'm sure with as many people complaining about this issue that they'll be sure to jump on this and fix the problem pretty quickly.

Highlighted
Master

The phone came with HTC Sync software preloaded on the SD card to backup your info to your computer. If you wiped the card you can redownload it from www.htc.com

Highlighted
Journeyman

Went through every possible step with customer service the pat 2 days to try and have the issue resolved. Just like they have been for the past 6 years, Sprint customer service is really top notch!!  I did everything from updating firmwar, prl and profile to doing a hard reset of the phone.  I repeatedly asked customer service if this was a common issue they are having and they kept assuring me that they have had very few issues like this (I find it hard to believe). Anyway, I was told to visit my local corporate store and have my phone replaced with a new one, we will see if this fixes the issue or not.  I'll also probe the hell out of those guys to see what I can find out regarding this MMS issue the Hero seems to have.  Like I said before, I absolutely love this phone and the only issue I've had thus far is receiving MMS's.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The fact that Sprint told you they have seen very few issues with this issue is unbelievable, so you have every right to say it's hard to believe! When I went to the Sprint service center yesterday, where I've ALWAYS had great service with them as opposed to the corporate store, the lady looked at the phone and said they had all just gotten a company wide email concerning this phone and the MMS issues that it had, and that no matter if the phone was replaced you were still more than likely going to have this problem. I walked out of the store thinking "well I'll just wait it out and not reset my phone", however I ended up backing up all my contacts last night and did restore my phone. The MMS works now, although I'm not sure how long it'll work before it goes down again. Hopefully by then they'll (HTC) will have found the issue and made a patch to download. Not worth my time to go back and forth trying new phones when the issue isn't the phone, it's the software which is the same on all of the phones. I love this phone as well, and the MMS is the only issue and it isn't that big of a deal to be honest.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat