cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Journeyman

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Hello everyone,

I have been having a problem with MMS messages on my Hero.  It seems that when I am connected to a WiFi access point, I can neither receive nor send MMS messages.  In order to send and receive, I have to turn off the WiFi and turn on the 3G radio.  Then my MMS messages download and send fine.  However, since alot of the time I will be in WiFi range this is sort of a cumbersome solution, to have to turn off the WiFi antenna periodically in order to sync up my MMS messages and then switch it back on again.

Is there any fix in the works for this problem?  I would appreciate an answer from someone at Sprint.

Thanks a lot!

86 REPLIES 86
Journeyman

Re: MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Replace the Messages application with ChompSMS

Journeyman

I'm sorry, I want to clarify...

Is your phone/3G radio on and wifi on and you are unable to send and recieve MMS

or is your phone/3G radio OFF and your wifi on and you are unable to send and recieve MMS?

Journeyman

Both are the case.  When the WiFi is on, regardless of the status of the mobile network connection (i.e. 3G), I am unable to send and download the pictures from received MMS.  So I can see that an MMS has been sent and by whom, but the "Download" button for the media does not work under these settings.  It always says that the download was unsuccessful.

I believe that this is because data functions on the phone are somehow taken over by the WiFi connection when it is on and available, but since the MMS messages are sent over the Sprint network and not the internet, the WiFi connection is unable to download the pictures.  So when I turn my WiFi on and there is an available network, it ceases sending and receiving data over the 3G connection, making my MMS messages unavailable.  When WiFi is turned off and 3G communication resumes, the messages received become available and messages are able to be sent.  This is purely speculation, mind you.

Journeyman

That's a fair diagnosis.

Can anyone else confirm this with the same settings and/or on other phones?

Journeyman

Hey, the rep I was speaking with mentioned a workaround for that. Call in and ask for the "Advanced Tech Support department".

Journeyman

I had this problem, and went through hell and back to fix it over the phone.. Finally I took it into the store, and turns out something was wrong with a setting in my account. They fixed this at a local store. Only difference, my pic mail had NEVER worked correctly, but the first thing I did was hoook up my wifi from my house. So maybe you and I had the same problem. But It works now!!

Journeyman

I have this EXACT same issue, and can replicate it when connected to any WiFi network.  SMS sends fine, however, if I am connected to WiFi and attempt to attach a media file (picture, etc), when attempting to send or receive the MMS message, it will hang indefinitely.  As soon as I disable WiFi the message sends w/o issue.

Can you explain what, if anything was done, to fix the issue?

I called Advanced Tech support, per the suggestions in this thread, but there were no known workarounds in the system.

It is not the end of the world, but very frustrating none the less.

Journeyman

You CAN NOT SEND AN MMS OVER WIFI!!!!  This is a network issue.  All sprint devices are like this.  An MMS has to go over the Sprint network.

Journeyman

I'm not sure where you came to the conclusion that I had any desire to SEND THE MMS OVER WIFI.  The phone should be smart enough to use the sprint network, regardless as to whether or not I am connected to WiFi, in the exact same way it can send SMS messages over the network, while simultaneously connected to WiFi.

Journeyman

I too noticed this when connect to wifi. I have been emailing HTC support ( don't know if its them or google that has to fix it ) and he claims it is suppose to engage the sprint network when you send/recieve a mms message. He had me try a bunch of stuff in the settings just to make sure i didn't have something set wrong and said everything is set right out the box and that it is suppose to still be able to send mms while wifi is on by turning on the mobile network for the time needed to do so. He said he forwarded the issue to the higher tech guys so I'm sure a fix while come at some point.

Journeyman

jsortino wrote:

I'm not sure where you came to the conclusion that I had any desire to SEND THE MMS OVER WIFI.  The phone should be smart enough to use the sprint network, regardless as to whether or not I am connected to WiFi, in the exact same way it can send SMS messages over the network, while simultaneously connected to WiFi.

That's not the same thing though because SMS doesn't use data like MMS does. SMS is sent over the same 1xRTT radio the same way voice is. Now, it seems that when the phone is connected to WiFi, it turns off the 3g connection which slightly makes sense because two high speed connections aren't needed at the same time, and might would drain the battery faster (pure speculation) and I "think" MMS has to be sent over a cellular network in order for it to work, and not WiFi. I could be wrong but it sorta makes sense. As of right now, that's how it is, until/if they release a fix for the WiFi to switch to the network when sending or receiving MMS.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat