ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Journeyman

Re: MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

Just to clarify, I truly believe that Sprint customer service is great.  After re-reading my post I kind of sounded like a smartass.  But in the 6 years I've been with Srint I've had zero issues with Sprints customer service.  They have resolved many issues with myself and my wifes phones and plans.  As far as getting my phone replaced, it does seem like a shot in the dark but I have a corporate store right down the street.  And there is a piece of fuzz/dust under my screen that is driving me nuts, so a new phone will at least solve that issue!!

So are you guys concluding that an update (firmware maybe?) will fix the MMS problem?

Journeyman

Sprint customer service IS great! I've only had one instance where I was on the phone for 3 hours with several people all of whom would not let me speak to a manager. When I finally got in touch with a lady that I could understand and that could understand me, she immediately put me straight through to a manager who took care of all the issues I had. I left my previous phone carrier (Suncom) due to their awful customer service.

According to what I've researched online, it IS a firmware/software issue. I have tried updating my firmware but if the phone is so new that no bugs/kinks have been worked out, then they just haven't had time to find the issue and write a patch to it. The lady at the Sprint repair store I went to yesterday said that it IS a firmware/software issue. The first time I called Sprint with this problem the guy told me that the phones were so new that they hadn't had a chance to really figure out how to fix the problem as of yet, other than resetting the phones. He was very helpful and even found a backup program online that I could download to my phone so I wouldn't lose my contacts. However, I did find that the Gmail does not sync my contacts for some reason, no matter how many times I've reset the phone or tried to Sync to Gmail. That isn't an issue as I have it all backed up on my pc at home.

Hopefully they'll come up with something soon.

Journeyman

I have the same problem with my wife's phone.

I use the Palm Pre and I can have wi-fi on and send her text/picture mail next her. She will receive it but gets the download error... Very annoying!!!

Journeyman

i did have issues with mms on several hero phones i had handcent and chomps downloaded and i could not receive anything mms so i uninstalled both and so far so good on three of our heros i guess these third party apps are just not working to well anyway thats my thoughts

Journeyman

Back to report since I got my new HERO three days ago.  I tried to stay off of here as long as I could in fear of jinxing myself but couldn't help it and had to report.  Anyway, since I've gotten my new phone I've had zero issues with MMS.  I've been able to receive every single picture that has been sent to my phone. Where before I was lucky if 1 out of every 10 successfully came through.  These are coming from Verizon, AT&T and Sprint phones.  My phone is set up the same as my old one, with the same apps and everything. I initially only used the stock messaging app and then switched to chompSMS, both worked fine. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to work out, and I would suggest those that are still in the 30 day window to exchange your phones and see if that doesn't help.  It worked for me.  Now my only issue is I already have some dust under my screen..........but thats for another thread.

Journeyman

Just wanted to update those who are still having this problem with the MMS for these phones. I've contacted Sprint several times and then I have also contacted HTC. Both of these companies lay the blame on each other and neither company is doing anything to fix the problem. HTC says "have Sprint replace your phone" and Sprint says "it's not the phone, it's the programming blah blah blah"...I have reset my phone 5 times which gets extremely old after the 2nd time (I've only had this phone since 2 days after Christmas!!) and is aggravating when you're trying to put all the awesome apps back on your phone that you had there to begin with. HTC tried saying that one of the apps were possibly causing this issue, but twice it's done it with no apps installed other than factory apps that come on the phone. I've tried ChompSMS and that worked for a minute, but then a picture would come through and immediately disappear never to be found again. Handcent was good and had great user options, but that eventually stopped working as well. I went back to factory MMS program and reset my phone, and so far it has not messed up again. However, I cannot get a lower case "i" if I'm typing without t9 on, and all the videos sent to me are coming through with no sound. I tried saving the video and then playing it through my albums, but it still has no sound. If I forward the video to my email on my computer, the sound is there and everything is fine. I guess I'm going to have to break down and just have this phone swapped for a new one although this one isn't even a month old.

Journeyman

(htc says)..Sprints fault..........

(sprint replies)..no, HTC's fault......................

(htc says)..na ah, Sprints....................

(sprint replies)..noway, its HTC.................

(both reply)..no wait......it's Google's fault, yeah, that's it.........

REDICULOUS!! .........I COULD GIVE TWO SH*TS LESS WHO'S FAULT IT IS.  JUST FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's like dealing with my children.  DON'T MAKE ME PULL THIS CAR OVER AND COME BACK THERE!!!!

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/147744#147744

Message was edited by: larryluv

Message was edited by: larryluv

Journeyman

HAHAHAH that made me LOL for real! Yeah, that's what I told them too and even after I was shunned after walking into the Sprint repair center, I finally complained enough and got a new phone. Less than 1 hour after getting my phone I was almost hit by a car and dropped my phone and the screen broke (just my luck right) so I called Sprint to see if they would replace it, which they told me there's nothing they can do and that I had to pay $100 to the insurance to have my phone replaced. I left them a not so nice email about how I've tried for a MONTH (I was at my 29th day when I replaced the phone finally) to have this phone replaced due to the MMS problems and they "couldn't help me"????? I did all the legwork and all they can say is "oh well, sorry about your luck?" Yeah, I wasn't happy with that.

Sprint usually has very good customer service, and this time they didn't disappoint me. They told me that if I went ahead and paid for the phone through the insurance company, they would credit my account the $100. That was fair so that's what I did. They credited my account yesterday and I haven't had a problem since with my phone (knocking on wood), although I have only had it for 4 days.

I called HTC as well and actually spoke to someone there, when I told him my name he knew of me due to the emails that I had written HTC. They informed me that it was in fact a Sprint issue and their MMSC or some type of format. That's also why some people can get videos but will have no sound with the videos....

Good Luck!

Journeyman

Its hard to place blame when 3rd party apps can also cause problems. Neither Sprint nor HTC can be expected to know how all of the apps that you may have installed are affecting your phone.

Journeyman

That would be true if there were any apps placed on my phone when it would malfunction. Three times I had to reset my phone and would place no apps on it, and it would stop working. I thought maybe the apps were what was causing the issue, so through trial and error I learned that it was not the case...the phone was malfunctioning on it's own with no help from any outside apps.

Journeyman

sillyg000se wrote:

Its hard to place blame when 3rd party apps can also cause problems. Neither Sprint nor HTC can be expected to know how all of the apps that you may have installed are affecting your phone.

Really?  I think it's pretty easy to place blame.  That seems to be the overall problem with the whole situation.  Nobody seems to want to man up and step up to take accountability and rectify the issue.  Each party wants to place blame on eachother, meanwhile, nothing gets done and it is us the consumer who gets the short end of the deal.  If you don't place blame on someone then what?  Be passive and sit quietly?  Sorry, I don't work like that.  I am held accountable for everything I do everyday, both in work and home.  Business or people, it doesn't matter.  Both should be held to the same standard. If people started taking the same stance, this world would be a better place rather than waiting for someone to do it for them.  I didn't buy the phone from HTC and I didnt buy the phone from Google.  I did, however, buy it from Sprint and I pay them $1500 a year for their service.  I expect them to fix it, not the others.  If my car breaks down, I don't run to BMW HQ and say, "hey, this thing ain't working".  I go to the dealership where I bought it and they are held accountable.  While I do agree with your point that outside sources can affect the performance, this is not the case in this matter.  Mine was working acceptable one day, and then not the next with nothing installed between periods.  Sadly, I say it worked acceptable which is pathetic in itself because accepting substandard performance from a product touted, advertised and promoted as being anything but substandard, is how this whole issue begins again and we are back at square one with nothing getting fixed, no accountability from any party and us as consumers being expected to just live with it.........I've preached enough......I'm dizzy this high on the soap box, LOL.  Sorry for the rambling.  I am just frustrated and want my Hero to work the way I expect it.........better yet, the way everyone should expect it.........oops, there I go again............I'm out!

Journeyman

I too was having the same issue, using default Messaging on Hero and not being able to view MMS. I downloaded Handcent SMS (new), and it worked great, I was able to view images.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat