Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS / Text Message Issues........"Download Unsuccessful"

Journeyman

MMS / Text Message Issues........"Download Unsuccessful"

I too have started having this "download message" issue when receiving any MMS message and it ends up saying, "download unsuccessful".  While I appreciate the suggested fix by users here (hard reset), I do not find that a suitable resolution.  I realize that I will not loose anything from the SD card but resetting every option, every app setting and reinstalling every app and loosing previous text messages, simply is not something I want to do, nor should I have to!

It is obvious there is an issue on Sprints end and they need to fix it.  To be honest, there has been issues with this phone and MMS since day one (stock messaging app and having to switch to handcent) and has gotten worse and a whole new set of issues appearing since the last MR.  Sadly, but typical, Sprint fails to even acknowlegde the issue.  While I love Sprint coverage, plans and pricing and have been a customer for 15 years, this is all starting to get a little old.  I have heard people say that it is just to be expected in a new phone and new platform and you should just automatically understand it and be willing to accept if you choose to buy it.  That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.  Your telling me that if you go buy a brand new car and 1st year of the model that you should automatically expect to have issues and the car to not work properly from the time of purchase.  I don't think so.  Consumer protection laws and advocacy groups simply would not allow this happen yet in the wireless carrier and wireless handset business, it is considered acceptable.  That is just rediculous.  I just find it sad that I can go buy any cheap phone and get messages just fine and everything else on the phone functions as it should.  As I said, I love Sprint and I think these issues and complications are not subject to just them as a carrier.  I have heard enough complaints about every carrier out there to know that Sprint is not alone in these issues but asking that a company stand behind thier product, their service and be forthright in issues and providing customer service to visably and compentantly correct issues and such should not be something that is difficult.  You wouldnt expect any other form of business to operate in a different fashion and consider it acceptable, so why do it here.

Bottom line, I love my hero but these shortcummings are getting old.  The length in time that a problem is actually acknowleged and a fix is released is unacceptable.  I shouldnt have to go out of my way to login to this site to go through a lot of forum posts to see if others are experiencing the same problems which would mean that I am not alone.  Sprint should have the issue right on the front post as a sticky telling me that there is an issue, they realize it, they are working on it, here is the date it will be fixed.  Period.

For Sprint and any Sprint employee reading...........FIX MY PHONE AND THE MMS/TXT ISSUE!.........and no, I am not going to hard reset to do it.  If that is the only fix you can come up with (of course you haven't even acknowledged the problem yet, let alone a fix), then YOU can take the time to do it and put it back just the way it was when I dropped it off to you.  My time is money, and I do not have the time to spend doing it unless you plan on paying for my time by adjusting my bill.

Message was edited by: larryluv

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: MMS / Text Message Issues........"Download Unsuccessful"

I have had the same problem, it is usaully because the pic your downloading is a bit to big, i recomend downloading and installing handscent sms on your hero, I have it and it works wonders, it will automatically resize the file to fit your phone, also try an app called "save mms" it allows you to save any mms to your sd card

Highlighted
Journeyman

I typically have this issue if I have too many texts on the phone. I've noticed a ton of speed difference on my hero by keeping my texts cleared out... sometimes this means I have to do this every day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same problem last week. Couldn't download several MMS messages.  None were very big and I had NO texts on my Hero.

Then, yesterday, they all showed up again & downloaded fine ....including one from Dec 12!  I think Sprint must have some kind of gremlins in the back end somewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I ended up completely moving to Handcent, between all the weird issues I've had with the stock app... But I still get the download issue when I let my texts rule my phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The issue has nothing to do with size of picture sent.  I have tried everything, small to large.

The issue has nothing to do with using a different app besides stock to fix because I use handcent.  The stock app blows and have always used handcent.

Bottom line is, it is a Sprint issue.  There are NUMEROUS posts about this same issue all over this forum and many other forums.  It is not an isolated problem.  HTC says it is not hardware and blames Sprint according to other posts I've read and Sprint, well, Sprint does what it always does and just sits quietly never even acknowledging the problem outloud.  I have, however, seen posts that there was a company memo that went out to Sprint people saying there is an MMS issue and it is a HTC issue so replacing the phone is pointless unless HTC makes a fix.  Now, wether there is any truth in that, who knows.  I don't care either way and I don't care who is to blame.  Bottom line, get it fixed and until then, I will hold Sprint accountable because that is who I bought the phone from and who I pay a big chunk of change to every month.

Like I said, same song and dance.  Everyone blaming everyone else and no accountability.

I hope you are right imboguss about it just being gremlins and will work itself out.

My issue popped up overnight so maybe it will go away by itself too.

Message was edited by: larryluv

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess i dont understand why it just stopped all of a sudden last night,my MMS inside handscent was working fine for the last month, now all of a sudden no pictures will download into the phone...

Highlighted
Journeyman

it is bull  and its getting old i hard rest once  and that is not a fix it is a bandaid sprint i love this phone. my cousin had the droid erios which is basicly the same phone and has no issues  so whats the deal i dont wanna go to verison but no picturemail is bull and i will go if i have too

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also am having this problem. Well back to the top of the heap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having problems too I have the stock app. Starting about 1 week ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have the same issue.  I use handcent, not the stock app.  Still the same issue.  I know several others that have Hero's  (including my wife)  Everyone has had the problem at LEAST once.  It's really annoying and I wish it would get fixed.  Maybe with 2.1?  Or whatever version that we may never be getting....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well this is at least ten people, Sprint. Are we going to see you do anything about this. I know that you use a third party server for your MMS service, but this problem needs to be cleared up befor it becomes a huge problem.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat