cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major HTC Hero Program Compatibility Issue???

Journeyman

Major HTC Hero Program Compatibility Issue???

Please help me, I'd love to be wrong, but.....

I think I've found a major program Compatibilty issue with the Sprint HTC Hero.  I have found a number of programs, that when installed run just fine.  But, when you reboot the phone, numerous crash errors come up, like

"The process com.android.phone could not be started"

and about 5 or 6 others.  When the phone finally finishes booting, it runs just fine, but there is NO voice or data service.  If you try to launch the dialpad, you get the error

"The process com.android.acore could not be started"

I have about 70 MB of free internal memory, so I do not think that is an issue.

Can someone help me out?  These are some good, and very popular programs that I'd love to run, but I can't.

Or, if its some other problem can someone help me track it down?

the programs that give the errors on re-boot (so far)  are:

"Java/J2ME Manager"
"Video Player"
"My Coupons"
"Gtasks"
"Handcent"
"CompSMS"
"Taskpanel X"
"Astrid"
"LocA"

24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

Re: Major HTC Hero Program Compatibility Issue???

I have most of those apps and have not had any such errors.

Try a factory reset.

Journeyman

I've done a factory re-set twice!!!  and I still have the problems.

Journeyman

Could there be some other app that is inderiectly causeing these problems?  how would I go about finding it?

Journeyman

Almost all of us are using either Handcent or Chomp, and haven't had your issue. So, I'd take those off your list. I also used taskpanel X for a while with no problems. I have no experience with the others.

Be careful, though, about using the "auto kill" or "kill all" functions in task managers...and if you're going to do it, you have to be prepared to exhaustively figure out which processes your phone needs in order to run, and to deal with issues the issues that come up when you kill something inappropriate. If you're somehow killing something that is essential to the phone, I wouldn't be surprised at problems like this. On top of that, a lot of task managers sneak themselves in as applications that start at boot and are always running...it's tricky to find a good balance. If I were you, I'd check to make sure that your task manager is doing what you think it's doing

Journeyman

Right now, I'm not useing any task amanger or auto-kill features at all.  The apps run ok, but the problem only turns up when I reboot the phone.  Then the errors come.

Is there some sort of a log file that might help me out?

How about a place to look for what programs are bing loaded on startup?

thanks

Journeyman

Those programs are on my list, because right now, if I install them and then reboot the phone, it will crash.  If I remove those programs, and reboot then it comes up just fine.

Journeyman

I installed a log collector, and then handcent, and rebooted. I immediately ran the log collector get a message with lots of this:

Jbmm10-26 15:10:25.185 D/IQServer(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet is failed... Will not release wakelock[ciq-backend]!
10-26 15:10:25.185 D/IQServer(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet is failed... Will not release wakelock[ciq-backend]!
10-26 15:10:25.185 D/IQServer(   50): Reset the timeout to 3000(ms) for AlarmSet retry...
10-26 15:10:25.185 I/HtcLocationService(  194): onDestroy
10-26 15:10:25.185 D/LocationManager( 194): removeUpdates: listener = com.htc.htclocationservice.HtcLocationServiceAgent $7@434b5830
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQJavaJob(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet: Java job client is not connected now!
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQServer(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet is failed... Will not release wakelock[ciq-backend]!
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQServer(   50): Reset the timeout to 3000(ms) for AlarmSet retry...
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQJavaJob(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet: Java job client is not connected now!
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQServer(   50): JavaRequestAlarmSet is failed... Will not release wakelock[ciq-backend]!
10-26 15:10:25.195 D/IQServer(   50): Reset the timeout to 3000(ms) for AlarmSet retry...

any ideas???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Install the apps 1 by 1, or space them out. I seemed to only have that problem when installing 5-6 apps at a time. Installed some of the same apps again but spaced them out, and it's been fine since.

Journeyman

I was just thinking that was the problem.  I sent a crash log to a helpful developer.  He said it looks like a lot of the programs weren;t installed properly.  I installed mine in big batches.  Then, i installed atrac-dog, and it found a bunch of updates that Market didn;t find.  When I went to the market it said no update available, when clearly there is.

I'm going to try un-installing those apps, and re-installing fresh.

Journeyman

HTC ISSUES or IS IT JUST ME?

Hello,

I just purchased an HTC Hero over the BB Tour am I crazy?  It doesn't seem that seemless in functioning.  I had the Curve and it was by far the best.  I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to which is really better so I dont have to spend all this money and time trying to figure these phone out.

With the Hero, I always here static and a click during calls - weird and my email are delayed whereas with bb they were instant.

Please help.

Nigeria

Journeyman

Re: HTC ISSUES or IS IT JUST ME?

I have never heard any static.  You might need a new phone.

Check your mail settings, and set it to get email "As Items Arrvie".  It defaults to check mail every 15 minutes.

If you are on Pop, you just have to live with the delay.

Message was edited by: ngc2000

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat