Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major HTC Hero Program Compatibility Issue???

Journeyman

Major HTC Hero Program Compatibility Issue???

Please help me, I'd love to be wrong, but.....

I think I've found a major program Compatibilty issue with the Sprint HTC Hero.  I have found a number of programs, that when installed run just fine.  But, when you reboot the phone, numerous crash errors come up, like

"The process com.android.phone could not be started"

and about 5 or 6 others.  When the phone finally finishes booting, it runs just fine, but there is NO voice or data service.  If you try to launch the dialpad, you get the error

"The process com.android.acore could not be started"

I have about 70 MB of free internal memory, so I do not think that is an issue.

Can someone help me out?  These are some good, and very popular programs that I'd love to run, but I can't.

Or, if its some other problem can someone help me track it down?

the programs that give the errors on re-boot (so far)  are:

"Java/J2ME Manager"
"Video Player"
"My Coupons"
"Gtasks"
"Handcent"
"CompSMS"
"Taskpanel X"
"Astrid"
"LocA"

24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

Thanks for your feed back.  I changed the settings....Thanks a bunch.  As for the static - I just got the phone yesterday.  So are you happy with the phone overall?  Features, calls, etc.  Also, does the camera phone have a flash all the pictures are coming out dark (the box says 5 megapixels)?

Nigeria

Journeyman

no flash.  Those help a little, but not much.  Camera phones, even the 5 MP ones, work best outdoors, during daylight hours.

And yes, I like the phone a lot.  It should be a lot more capable of doing more things than any BB

Message was edited by: ngc2000

Journeyman

drat!

I un-installed the problem programs, and re-installed them slowly, one by one.  Reboot, and crash!

This is getting very frustrating.  I have been able to determine, that its not any individual app that is causeing the crashes.  I have some up and running that were causeing crashes before.  Any help is much appreciated.

Journeyman

for some reason, when I re-installed the apps from the market, I did NOT get the latest version.  Something funny is goign on here, and I think I'm closer to the solution.

Journeyman

for me the "hypnotic spiral" program was causing my phone to crash and lose service upon restarts. When I deleted this it fixed the problem. This is a really annoying problem and needs to be addressed by google and/or sprint ASAP.

Journeyman

More on this bug here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/23826

The Hero has problems upgrading and re-installing apps.

Journeyman

Posted this on the other thread, but am wondering from everyone:

Just wondering is this happening just on phones that have "with Google" on the back, the HTC backs or both?

I'm having the same issue with Where, Handcent, and Movies. Handcent seems to function normally, but Where and Movies crash out when I try to do a location aware activity like finding a theater near me, otherwise they seem to function normally too. But the icons for all 3 of these have changed.

Edit: I have the "with Google" back and no Rev. 0 bug.

Journeyman

is this issue going to be fixed when 2.0 is released? I am having this issue more and more now. I download an app, then reboot my hero, when it reboots there are a bunch of force closes and then there is no service. Is this going to get fixed or should I return the phone? Is this problem even acknowledged officially by htc?

oh by the way here are the applications this is occuring with for me (im sure there are more too)

Hypnotic spiral

chompSMS

Handcent

FxCamera

Breadcrumbz

Message was edited by: ejhasan

Patron

If uninstalling that app fixed the problem what is there for them to fix?

It was obviously a faulty app.

Journeyman

It is not just a faulty program. Many people are using the program with no problems on other andriod devices. Also it is not just occuring with a few faulty programs, but with a bunch of apps It is a real problem because if I download multiple programs at once and the phone stops working I dont know which app is the problem. I have to download each program one by one and power cycle the phone, thats not good. Also this problem is getting worse and worse, its like every other program I download and install now breaks my phone...

Message was edited by: ejhasan

Journeyman

I just got this from HTC

I have good news.

HTC is aware of this issue and it will be adressed in one of the future updates that are coming soon.
I apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced.

Please feel free to contact us with any inquiries or concerns you may have in the future.

HTC Technical Support Team

Patron

Thank God! Finally someone with the same exact problem as me.  All the Sprint tech support people on the phone and in the store told me they have never seen this problem before.  I am on my 5th Hero this month because they don't know how to fix it and resetting it doesn't work.  How do you fix yours????

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat