cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe no 2.1 update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Maybe no 2.1 update?

Saw this post.   Probably rumor!  I would be fine with this if they just give me the good upgrade price to an EVO for all HERO users.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/2010/04/08/no-android-2-1-update-for-htc-hero-reader-claims/

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Maybe no 2.1 update?

Maybe a class action lawsuit is in Sprint's future if they don't come up with solid information on the update. This is just rediculus. When I bought the phone in Feburary I was assured by the sales rep that an update was coming to the Hero in March. I asked because my work phone is the Motorla Droid and at the time it was at firmware 2 and it updated last week to 2.1. So now I was given wrong information so that I would by a phone and sign on for another 2 years for something that is falling behind quickly.

You shouldn't be looking for a "good" upgrade price you should ask to upgrade to a phone for free that they can keep up to date with all the other android devices or allow you out of your contract with no early fees so you can go to another carrier.

Journeyman

It is very clear that the article is based on false/misinformation. Just look to the title "reader claims"; an anonymous reader that can't even pin down a source. If you read the comments on the article, you'll get a better perspective on the entire thing. I would list the reasons that we all know it's a fake, but I would just be repeating what the comment posters already said, and that would be wasting everyone's time. Don't worry. It's coming. Also, the update from 2.0 to 2.1 on the Droid did not go smoothly. Verizon missed their own release dates by over a month. When they finally did move up, it wasn't that much of a jump because it was already on 2.0. The move from 1.5 to 2.0 is a bit more drastic, so it makes sense that they are taking more time to make sure everything works. Aside from that, the Droid does not have the Sense UI or the other enhanced features provided by HTC. To be honest, the Droid is even missing some of the standard 2.1 features such as the 3d rotating App grid that is part and parcel of 2.1. In that respect, it's a stripped out version of 2.1. Taking all of that into account, it is understandable that it would take longer to do testing, bugfixes, and implementation on an OS that will have all of the 2.1 features plus Sense UI. I'm awaiting the update as eagerly as everyone else, but I understand that OS updates can be a disaster if rushed and not tested fully. Unfortuantely, there's nothing for me to do but wait. They've assured us that it is coming.

One last thing. We are really, as a community, only complaining about this because we know that 2.1 is there, and they have promised us the update. There was a huge frenzy when Sprint announced that they were going to skip 1.6 and give us 2.0. Then everyone nearly lost it when Sprint announced that they were, in fact, going to give us 2.1. To be perfectly honest, none of this would be an issue with any other phone OS. It's just that Google is SO good at what they do, that they have managed to release 4 iterations of the OS within the last year. That is unheard of. For all the other phones, the OSes take forever to be updated, if they get updated at all. Look at the iPhone. It's a wildly successful smartphone. Yet, it has only had 3 OS updates in 3 years, with the 4th, (which isn't that great because the multitasking isn't true multitasking, and even the faux-multitasking won't be available on anything but the latest hardware), coming this summer. I think we need to be a bit more patient. We're not being left out to pasture. Our phones are not being EOL'ed, ("End of Life" meaning no more support for the phone.), like the poor Droid Eris. We just have to sit tight and wait for the update which, if we listen to those brave souls who have rooted their phones, will make us very happy and improve our phones even more.

Journeyman

The article is clearly speaking on the European Hero, not Sprint's (both are different, GSM vs. CDMA). In my opinion, wait until Sprint says something and don't listen to anyone else. Your just going to get frustrated. I've already reached the point of...whatever! I don't even care anymore about any 2.1 update. I've learned to live with the Sprint Hero's flaws and expect nothing more, cause I'm so tired of the rumors. I'm just waiting to get my hands on the Evo 4G and once it arrives I plan on dumping this Hero.

Journeyman

No.  I am past the update as well.  Just want to get my hands on a EVO.  I am now a premier customer so i think that means i can upgrade every year.  Hopefully i understand that right.  I would prefer a update schedule more like the Iphone to simplify things.  Also i think the HERO is flawed with a slow processor.

Journeyman

Your right, you get to upgrade yearly. I wish we did get the same type of set up like the iPhone folks, but that's wishing to high. They'll tell us to get a iPhone if you want that.

Journeyman

well as of the end of this month we are switching carriers, this is typical of sprint, sell the phone and have problems with this and that and wait till the end of time for an update to correct this. I think people should get tired of of paying for all these services and not get anything fixed. and for all the people waiting on the EVO, whats gonna happen when problems arise? guess you gotta wait till android 3.0 comes out and we hope that will fix it. 2 friggen months of problems with the mms and still not a fix, the only iphone killer is a new iphone and not on the so called now network!

Patron

Just wait, once you get the EVO it wont be until 1H 2011 that it will actually run well.. Kinda like the HERO!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat