cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Network Sharing

Journeyman

Re: Mobile Network Sharing

USB buddy. You will need to download the SDK if you haven't done so already.

Journeyman

So, you gonna post instructions?

Journeyman

Give me a sec. And before I start, know you'll be limited to firefox unless you can configure a socks proxy for your other browsers.

Journeyman

I tried one of those methods and couldn't get it to work. Guess you had better luck.

Problem is I need VPN connections too so a Firefox only solution doesn't quite help me

Journeyman

1. Go here on your Hero's browser and install the Tetherbot app. If unknown sources are not enabled on your phone (under Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources) do that first. You can also download it to your computer and transfer it to your phone and install if you'd rather do that.

2. Turn on USB Debugging under Settings -> Applications -> Development and connect your phone via USB.

3. Get your Android SDK set up. If you're on Windows, you'll need to download and install a driver.

4. On your phone, fire up the Tetherbot app and tap the "Start Socks" button.

5. Now, the SDK incantation. In a terminal window on Mac or a run window on Windows, navigate to the "tools" folder within your SDK directory and then type the following:

Mac:

./adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

Windows:

adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

6. Now, in Firefox, go to Options -> Advanced -> Network, and click to configure how Firefox connects to the Internet. In the window that pops up, choose "Manual proxy configuration" and clear out everything that might be there. Under SOCKS host, type "localhost" and change the port to 1080. Make sure SOCKS v5 is ticked. Hit Ok. Then, in the address bar, type in about:config .If a warning message pops up, promise to be careful it’s ok.In the filter, type in network.proxy.socks_remote_dns. When it shows up in the list, double click on it to change the value from False to True. Now close, and restart Firefox and you should be good to go. Need any help, let me know.

Journeyman

PDANET  Google it.

Journeyman

rrhodes1970 wrote:

PDANET  Google it.

They do not support Mac's.

Journeyman

PDANet doesn't work for Mac, which I just so happen to use.

Journeyman

I guess this method does work for me (forgot to restart Firefox before ).

Alas, still not what I need. I need mail and vpn.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to add my two cents, I think the trick here is to use the existing Power Vision connection to do phone as a modem.

Sprint has configured it to hang up the existing data connection and 'dial' back in to signal it's phone as a modem and checking the account to see if it's enabled, and permitting the account. I'm pretty sure some geek can configure it to dial the existing Power Vision connection instead already used for celluar data.

Personally, any solution that doesn't reconfigure the phone to use the existing Power Vision connection has us dead in the water.

--Atleast that's been my experience so far on Windows Mobile.

Journeyman

A thousand thank-yous! You rule! I am up and running, thanks to your excellent instructions. There are only 2 things missing from this excellent recipe for success. Here's what I would add:

step 3a)  After downloading the Android SDK, read the Readme file. It will tell you that you downloaded an empty "platforms" folder, and you need at least one platform installed before you can do anything. In the interest of being more safe than sorry, I followed the instructions in the Readme to open the SDK interface, and downloaded some stuff. Not hard, but I had to be online to do it, of course.

step 5)  Instructions for using a terminal window and command-line interface -- don't be intimidated! The 1st command to know is "ls", which displays the contents of your current folder (ls = "list"). Once you know your options, you can type "cd [folder name]" (without the square brackets) to switch to a different folder (cd = "change directory"). When you have navigated to the /tools folder, paste in or type the appropriate adb command from the instructions above.

<rant> This is not difficult to do, and I encourage all Android users who are frustrated and outraged by Sprint's policy of blocking Mobile Network Sharing (or Phone as Modem [PAM]) to give this a try. I've tried everything else, including PdaNet, but all other options ultimately rely on Sprint allowing you to use your phone's Mobile Network Sharing feature...which they do not allow! This method bypasses Mobile Network Sharing entirely, empowering you to give Sprint the finger for their ridiculous policy. Granted, you can only use it with Firefox, but that's a whole lot better than nothing, esp. if you rely on a webmail provider. Sprint doesn't want phones competing with their 3G USB cards, which they can sell as separate gadgets with separate plans, so they've gone to great lengths to devise a way to block smartphones from doing something they were designed to do. I bought my phone (HTC Hero) and renewed my so-called "Everything Data" plan (ha!) with Sprint precisely because the phone is capable of things like this, and then Sprint intentionally cripples it with a short-sighted business decision. This is cripple-ware of the most asinine variety! Those 3G USB modems are already obsolete; most road warriors are already carrying smartphones that can do the same task just as well. Sprint, I have overcome your devious designs, and my "Everything Data" plan is once again what I thought it was. </rant>

Journeyman

There is a Mac version of PdaNet now, but it won't help you because Sprint probably blocks all usage of the Mobile Network Sharing feature on your phone. There's a slim chance that you have an Android smartphone and some kind of plan that allows tethering, but as far as I know, the only plans that allow tethering (if there still are any) are totally inappropriate for smartphones and heavy data usage.

Your best bet is the instructions from ajones1989 on 10/13/2009 (plus my addendum from 3/12/2010), which bypass the Mobile Network Sharing feature of the phone entirely.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat