cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple issues with the HTC Hero -- DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Multiple issues with the HTC Hero -- DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!!

1. I do not receive all of my text messages.  My boyfriend is on Verizon and I will have him send test text messages to my phone and I will get about 50% of them.

2. When the phone rings, it will only ring for 5-6 seconds before going to voicemail.

3. The battery life is horrible

4. My phone does not tell me I have voicemail's, so I just have to call my voicemail multiple times a day to see if I have anything.

5. It doesn't sync my contacts together... so for instance, I have my boyfriends phone number, emails, home address, etc all in SEPARATE contacts and the HERO wont sync them together.

6. The phone doesnt put my facebook friends into my phone, I have to manually link each contact with their facebook account.

I am returning this phone tomorrow.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Journeyman

1.) Update profile and PRL

2.) A few people have this issue, but I don't so I have no experience with it.  Perhaps it's the fact that I have it set to vibrate first?  No idea

3.) Bad battery life?  Really?  Try the Moment, then you can complain about battery life on a smartphone

4.) Sounds like you've got a setting screwed up.  This isn't an issue I've ever heard of.  Check your settings.

5.) It won't sync them together because you didn't PUT them together.  The Hero thinks you put them into different contacts, which you apparently did.

6.) Of course it doesn't sync the contacts to facebook automatically.  What if you've got one contact named Richard Johnson, but 7 facebook friends named Richard Johnson?  Or a contact named "Mom", but no one on your facebook named "Mom"?  If the phone tried to automatically sync your contacts with your facebook friends, there would be hundreds of people complaining that it was syncing the wrong friends.  For example, mine would have tried to sync my contact named "Chris" with one of the 5 facebook friends named "Chris".

Sounds to me like you just don't like the phone.  Get a Moment, and then come back and complain about that phone as well, but don't tell me what to buy or not buy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Look, I'm not totally inept.  I have updated my prl and profile and it has not changed anything.  I've read on multiple forums that if you have your wi-fi on, it can affect getting your text messages.  Also, I've heard that having a task killer can screw things up.  Or, I've heard that its possibly due to sprint trying to block out ppl sending mass texts as adds, so you can text 9999 the msg "all texts" and it will fix the problem.  None of these things have worked for me. And text messaging is a HUGE part of my business, I cannot afford to miss any more!!!

The phone ring length problem is not just a vibrate problem.  I have three issues here. 1- its because the phone rings for such a short time that I cannot get to it in time.  and 2- when I do get to it, the screen will not unlock to answer (both are incredibly frustrating) and 3- Sprint phones only access the network every 3 seconds or something like that, so when your phone rings, it may have already been ringing for up to 5 seconds.  The maximum amount of time your phone can ring INCLUDING you voicemail is 30 seconds... so most of the time, you have about 7 seconds to answer your phone without it going to voicemail.  If you can get the screen to unlock...

The battery life is an issue, but I suppose you have a good point.  Any smartphone is going to have issues with this.  I just wish I could make it though a 8hr workday.  Its irritating to have to carry my charger around with me everywhere. I have downloaded battery managers before but I haven't had any luck.  I guess its better than my old palm pre.

I use the stock voicemail with the default settings, so I'm not sure what I could change.  This is very irritating.

The syncing thing is annoying bc I came from the palm pre that was very wonderful at putting all contact information together.  I don't have any friends with the same name, so I'm not sure how that could be an issue.  But I see your point.  I just wish there was an option to sync one contact with another (because mine are coming from my old phone) And I wish it would sync the facebook ppl because I have close to 500 friends and I'm not into going through every single one... that's crazy! And when you look up a contact, you'll see 3 or 4 with the same name, and you wont know which one has the right email or number, etc.

One thing I didnt mention is how laggy and slow this phone can be.  I have 0 applications downloaded on my phone right now (as I just did my 3rd factory reset) and it still cant pull up a name in my contacts under 2 seconds.... Also, it has a really hard time switching from one application to the next...

I've had a horrible experience with this phone.  I would not recommend it for anyone, ever.  This is probably the worst phone I've ever owned.  Maybe I just have a bad one, but really, I wouldn't recommend it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i sure hate it for you if ur having soo many issues.  i simply think the phone is wonderful, and so do a host of android users over at androidforums.com.  i can say i've had some of the problems you are having with the phone, but some i am not.  i haven't had any issues with the text messaging on my phone to date.  i can say i'm not a heavy texter, but believe i've gotten everyone of them.  i was getting lag from time to time on my phone and couldn't stand it.  i have many apps and about 20-25mb of internal storage left.  my understanding is that is not a lot left when the many i've spoke to have about 30-50mb left.  one thing that helped that a guru told me was to turn the phone off periodically when this starts to happen, and give it a fresh start.  he used all the technical jargon why, but you get the gist.  my phone has flowed smoothly ever since.  yes, the facebook thing has to be done person by person if you so chose to do it that way without going through Google, better yet, Gmail.  i believe you have to open up a gmail account for the phone anyway, or at least i did and others i've spoken with.  i didn't do it that way because i didn't want all of mine sync'd, but have heard friends say that if you download your contacts to the gmail acct., that it will sync to facebook.  hey, worth a shot with 500+ of 'em.  i saved the best for last, or it was at least for me, and irritated the sh*t out of me...the visual voicemail.  i loved this feature on my Instinct, and was giddy that the Hero was suppose to have it, until it wasn't working right for me.  What was worse is that Sprint didn't seem to be able to do anything about it.  Well at least he took me to the right spot.  First you have to make sure you have the latest software for the program.  you can easily find it by looking up visual voicemail in the search.  goto upgrade visual voicemail and follow the instructions on the page.  once you have the updated version, update your PRL and profile.  even if you have the updated version make sure you follow the last step in triggering the voicemail, because this is the key.  i did this a few times without triggering the account and was still frustrated until i did.  once i triggered my account my voicemails just started downloading to the phone on the spot.  i must say it's not an easy phone to own, but once you get the hang of it, it's simply one of the best i've owned.  i always say you pay for learning curve.   GL, and hope you stay with the Hero.

Highlighted
Journeyman

if texting and lots-of-contacts for business are your thing - then i would recommend a blackberry...

the hero has problems that youve found - and almost EVERY device has problems...  decide what items are critical, what are medium, and what are not required altho nice...  buy/judge based upon this list and you will have maximized your satisfaction...

gl, h.

btw - "if someone promised you the world, then where would you put it?"  😉

Highlighted
Journeyman

Welcome to the Hero, the POS phone that Sprint won't even comment on anymore.

I agree the phone has some major issues...  Ring and touchpad lag are my two biggest gripes and Sprint/HTC won't even say if they know the bugs exist and if they are fixing them.   Of course if you call customer service Sprint will first tell you to reset your phone and then when that doesn't work, Sprint will then replace your phone pretending that the problems you are having are isolated.

SPRINT/HTC FIX THE PHONE!

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you are synching your contacts to gmail, you can merge contacts from your PC in gmail and that should fix it.  Unless all of your contacts are of type "Phone" than it becomes a bit more of a pain.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with the OP...the Hero is the worst phone I've ever owned. In fact, I've told several people that it is the single worst piece of technology I've ever purchased...and that encompasses a lot of things over a lot of years.

I've experienced all of the problems listed by the OP, and I am a very tech-savvy person (I've worked in IT for over a decade). The biggest problem is with SenseUI...buggy, buggy, buggy. The AOSP builds I've flashed to the phone don't have many of these issues, but they do introduce their own...having to disable my camera and bluetooth to get a "usable" phone is by no means a solution.

I was looking forward to this phone immensely and even purchased it "early" at Best Buy. Worst mistake I've made in a long time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with the users who said that this phone is the worst POS phone ever. This phone has the worst lag!!!!!!Sometimes it rings sometimes not, vibrate then not or no ring and vibrate at all. Battery......unplugged the phone this morning @ 630.....@ 930, the charge had less than 50%. WTF? Had no apps running except the phone, chomp and a couple more. This really is a POS phone. Don't buy this. Any other Sprint phones that you can recommend? I'm stuck with ****** sprint until next year due to this POS HERO!

Message was edited by: izzyks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, really?  you guys are having that many problems with this phone?  I don't care if you were in IT for a decade.  If you can't figure out how to customize your phone to make it fast enough for you, go back to a damn Razr.

I don't know a heck of a lot about programming, but I know enough to be able to dig into the phone and get rid of the stuff I don't need.

It's not Sense that's buggy, or slowing the phone down.  It's the apps like Nascar, NFL, Stocks, and Peep that are slowing it down.  A lot of them actually run in the background and kill your processing power.

Stock (after the update), my phone had very little lag.  The only lag it had was in dialing, which I never did anyway since I called saved contacts 99% of the time.  Since I've rooted and put on a ROM and kernel, I have NO lag, except the occasional glitch in the browser.

There's nothing wrong with this phone, minus the few that get dust, and the paint chipping.

If you want to complain about battery life, try a Moment, then come back and you'll realize just how good our battery life is compared to the other Android phone on sprint.  By the way, with moderate use (by most people's standards...under a hundred texts, couple dozen calls and emails), I can get over 24 hours on a single charge, in a low service area (using WiFi more often than not).  If I'm in good service, I can get 36 hours out of a charge.  No idea why you guys aren't getting decent battery life, except that the Sprint apps are probably running in the background, and shouldn't be.

The Hero is a great phone.  I know people with Iphone's that are jealous of my Hero.  Of course the Hero has it's issues, but so does every other phone.  Other than the Sprint apps, the majority of the Hero's issues come from using android 1.5, which is hacked to pieces in order to work on CDMA networks.  2.1 is CDMA native, and should run far better than 1.5 does.  Not to mention the new Sense that's coming should be far better optimized than the current version.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To fix battery problems, do a battery refresh. You should do this about once a month. To do it, drain the battery 100% without charging it. Make sure its to the point where the phone won't come back on. Then put it on the charger and don't touch it until the green light comes on. Basically, charge it full without turning it on is optimal. You can turn it on, but I think it works best to just let it sit. You will notice significant battery life increase. I did it to mine a while ago and it helped a lot. Also, root it. Get gumbo rom with kernal, get setCPU and underclock your cpu for extra battery, get minfreemanager and use the aggressive preset. This will make your phone dizzyingly fast, power efficient, and more capable. Use the Android community. That's the beauty of open source.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Only issue I have with my HERO is a little bit of dust under the screen. Everything else runs perfectly!!  I get all of my texts, mms, voicemails and have zero issues with missing calls due to the ringing lag that some claim to have with their phone.  My phone does get a bit laggy from time to time. When this happens I simply do a soft reset and it again is running quick and smooth.  My battery life was initialy pretty bad, but once I learned that I didn't need to update numerous apps every 15 minutes, it improved dramatically.  I can now go a full day (7-11) without having to recharge my phone, this is with moderate texting, calling, web surfing and playing games that need mobile network access.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat