Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Conversation With HTC About the HTC Hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Conversation With HTC About the HTC Hero

In order of occurance:

ME:

I have recently gotten an HTC hero on Sprint. I am having a slew of problems with WIFI Detection, Connection, and internet. My MMS rarely works and IF I can get a picture to download it will only open for 2 seconds. The battery drains super fast just sitting there with no use, and phone and messages are always running. Email app is shoddy. I have multiple Gmail accounts and can only set up one. Then even though it should work images rarely display in email. Sometimes it has a show images button and sometimes it doesnt but it only sometimes shows images. It is not recognizing .GIF or play .wmv files. When it plays .wma files it can take up to a minute to load while MP3s are instantaneous. Widgets practically brick the phone it slows down so bad when I use them. I keep being told an update is coming, when??????

THEM:

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Assistance Center. I understand how frustrating it can be to have several different issues with your Sprint Hero. I will be more than happy to help resolve the issues your device is having.

Since you’re Sprint Hero is unable to access the Sprint network and having issues with MMS messaging. I unfortunately do not have the settings to trouble shoot the Sprint network on your device.  I would suggest contacting Sprint Technical Assistance to trouble shoot the network on your device. You stated when you receive a new picture message, the message will only show for 2 seconds and disappear. Sometimes it may take the device a period of time to display a picture message. Your Hero will display blank boxes until the picture message has loaded up.

Let me see what I can do assist you with the WIFI connection on your device.  To help better the WIFI signal on your device, you can have the device detect a WIFI Hotspot.  On your device Hit Menu> Settings> Touch Wireless Controls> Touch WIFI Settings> Then Touch the WIFI Hotspot you which to connect to. On this screen you will see the signal strength of the WIFI signal you are receiving.

Here are some steps to help improve the battery life on your device. When you do not need the 3G services on your device, you can disable the services by going to Home> Menu> Settings> Wireless Controls> Mobile Networks> Select Use only 2G networks. Also when your device is not in use, you can set the idle time on the screen to a lower setting. To adjust this setting on your device go to Home> Menu> Settings> Sounds and Display> Brightness and Screen Timeout> Adjust the Screen Timeout. Also when you are not using the WIFI on your device, make sure it has been disable to improve the battery life on your device. When you are not using the GPS satellites on the device, this feature can also be disabled temporally. Go on your device to Home> Menu> Settings> Security and Locations> Enable GPS Satellites. Also close the camera on the device when not in use.

Since your device is having issues running sluggish and freezing up, here is some steps to follow to help resolve the issue. Hit Menu> Home> Settings> There will be four options listed on this screen. Clear Cache, History, All Cookie Data, and Clear Form Data. Once all options have been cleared out this will keep your device from running sluggish. Also if you have any type of third party software on the device, you may want to consider uninstalling the software to keep your device from running sluggish. To clear third party applications off the device you will have to place the device into Safe Mode. To place the device into this mode you must have your device powered off. With the device off hold Menu while holding Power, the device will boot into Safe Mode. Once there navigate to Settings> Applications> Manage applications. Then you will be able to clear off any un-needed applications on your device. If this does not work to resolve the issue, the device may have to be hard reset. This operation will delete all data off your device back to factory settings. With the phone turned off, press and hold the HOME and BACK buttons. Briefly press the END CALL/POWER button while continuing to press the HOME and BACK buttons. When you see the screen With the 3 Android images, release the HOME and BACK buttons, and then press the TRACKBALL.  After doing so all data will be deleted off your device, before performing this operation make sure all data has been synchronized from your device to your computer. This will resolve your issue.

Thank you for contacting HTC today I hope I have addressed all your needs and concerns today. If you need any further assistance please feel free to reply to my email. Check out www.htc.com for any information about your device. Be sure to check out our online customer satisfaction survey located at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide and www.htcwiki.com.

ME:

I just want to point out again that my issue with Email was not addressed. I receive a lot of email with images. Lots of emails with attachments also. So lets say I get an HTML email with embedded images, sometimes I will get a "Show Pictures" button. Sometimes it will display a placeholder where the image should be with a tiny white box with a red outline and a red X in the center. Either way the images only sometimes work.

I know how to search for WiFi networks and connect to them but thanks anyway. The issue was if I was standing next to the router my Palm Pre would detect and connect to the network and my Hero would not even detect the network.

The picture mail solution you offered neglected to address my issue. When a Picturemail is sent to my phone it will show up with a "Download" button. If I am connected to WiFi (EVEN WITH THE SPRINT NETWORK AVAILABLE) it will not download. Instead I have to disconnect from the WiFi then click Download Now and then it will tell me "Downloading" for a while often followed up by an error message.

I have to try multiple times to get the download to complete. Once the download does complete it will show a thumbnail of the image and have a play button on top and say "slideshow" EVEN IF IT IS A SINGLE PICTURE. I have tested this with picture mail from a Palm Pre, Palm Treo Pro, and a Samsung Instinct M800. I always get the same response. When I click on view slideshow it will open the image for EXACTLY two seconds during which I am forced to frantically save the image and then pull it up in albums so I can view it.

The phone is not recognizing .GIF files either, as far as I know it should.

As far as the applications go I am using HTC Widgets not aftermarket ones. I have hard reset my phone three times. I know perfectly well how to do that. I have taken the phone to it's limits and back and I am not complaining about the effects of my heavy usage. I am wanting to know why when running only three HTC widgets on my home-panels and backing out of programs using the back button (not using task killers). THe phone is still slow. If the phone was intended to not run widgets and internet then why have pre-intalled widgets and a web browser. Why have an application market if you do not want us to download applications.

I am asking that you attempt to make sense and assist me with my issues. I am not technically inept, I am quite the opposite. Your advice was appreciated but really did not help me at all.

NOW I WAIT....

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: My Conversation With HTC About the HTC Hero

What especially interesting about this back and forth is that i don't even have some of these options on my hero...there are no 2g/3g options for example...hmmmmmmmmm

I don't have the wireless issue though...

Journeyman

My WiFi appeats fine too. It does seem that the signal is less then full even while next to my wireless router. However, it does autoconnect and run quickly.

Wizard

For the wifi signals, seems a bit silly, but this helped me get better signal.  Don't cover the bottom back part of the phone with your hand while using the wifi, or don't set it down on a table.  The radio must be right there in the back.  You can test this by holding your phone tightly at the bottom and then holding more in the middle of the phone and you will see the bars go up and down for the wifi.

A lot of this is just getting used to how the phone behaves.  They can't always put the radios in the most ideal place.  It is pretty amazing to me that they stuff everything in there as it is.

Second if you are having so many problems with your phone, then take it back.  I can tell you that my phone works awesome with no sluggishness or lag at all.  I first thought the widgets would slow everything down, but I have a lot of widgets running and they don't slow me down in the least.  In fact it is faster than the 3GSs I have set them next to and scrolled around.  I also have one of the first units without the Google symbol on the back.  I think you have a lemon, just return it.  If you get the same behavior, get a different phone.  A lot of these things are all relative for each person's opinion.

I have 4 gmail accounts linked up through the phone, my main on through the gmail client (awesome), then the remainder linked up through the IMAP/POP accounts.  They all send me notices, etc. Don't over manage your phone with the Task Managers.

Journeyman

My device is not a consumer purchase. I cannot take it back or exchange it. Eventually (a few months from now) I will be able to claim insurance on it, but I have taken very good care of this device so I would rather not get a refurbished phone. I am not the only one having these issues, other people on the forum have reported similar problems and I posted this more for them to see what HTC suggested to me thus far.

In regards to exchanges: many times the reason a phone is being exchanged is because it costs less time for the sales associate and the customer to exchange the phone. However in many cases with some dedication, a phone's issues can be resolved. I have had my Hero for a while. It is running on an earlier build of the software. It is not one of the newest "with Google" devices (which I very likely could not get if I placed an insurance claim) so it is best that I just attempt to fix it.

Journeyman

I have multiple Gmail accounts and can only set up one.

Setup your Gmail accounts with POP3 in another Gmail account. The Gmail app only works for one Gmail account because it syncs with the Google account you signed into under your phone. This is how I setup my phone.. I have 5 email accounts checked by Gmail. Gmail labels them however you want so they are differentiated. Very good feature.

The picture mail solution you offered neglected to address my issue. When a Picturemail is sent to my phone it will show up with a "Download" button. If I am connected to WiFi (EVEN WITH THE SPRINT NETWORK AVAILABLE) it will not download. Instead I have to disconnect from the WiFi then click Download Now and then it will tell me "Downloading" for a while often followed up by an error message.

PictureMail requires the mobile data network to send/receive. When you're connected to WiFi, your mobile data network is disconnected automatically. As long as your mobile data network is not connected, you won't be able to use MMS, Sprint TV, etc properly. Imagine the battery drain if you connect to two networks simultaneously.

Journeyman

PictureMail requires the mobile data network to send/receive. When you're connected to WiFi, your mobile data network is disconnected automatically. As long as your mobile data network is not connected, you won't be able to use MMS, Sprint TV, etc properly. Imagine the battery drain if you connect to two networks simultaneously.

I blurbed about this in another forum, but I believe the phone is suppose to connect to the mobile network to send (and receive?) an MMS. If I'm on WiFI and send an MMS, my "Mobile" EV icon pops up briefly then disappears. To me its attempting to send, but fails.

Journeyman

I have multiple gmails that each have multiple contacts and calendars. Having one set up as POP3 does not sync that info to my phone. My Pre Syncs them all.

Also on the WIFI thing, I know... but it is trying to disconnect from wifi and connect to regular data to send and that does not work. My Pre and Treo Pro  do this fine. If you send it you can see it try, but it fails. This is an issue HTC needs to fix. It is in the processes but is not working correctly,

Journeyman

"Hit Menu> Home> Settings> There will be four options listed on this screen. Clear Cache, History, All Cookie Data, and Clear Form Data."

are we talking about the hero?? because i cant find this.

Journeyman

It was not stated, but these settings are the browser settings.  You need to be in the browser, then hit Menu, More, Setitngs, then scroll down to the Privacy Configuration section.

Journeyman

now it makes sense

Journeyman

Second Response:

HTC:

Hello XXXXX, Thank you for your response concerning the Sprint Hero and MMS. I understand how frustrating it is to be unable to receive your messages. I have checked with our headquarters, to see if anyone was able to replicate your issue receiving MMS when connected to Wi-Fi. It appears that there was a problem with the Hero, where it would not suspend the Wi-Fi connection in order to connect to the Sprint network in order to receive and download messages.

To address your issue of the phone connecting to Wi-Fi, it appears that your Hero will connect to some networks, although it will not see another. Is that what you have experienced? What are the properties of the network that your Hero is not seeing? What is the visibility, the authentication, the encryption, and the model of the router? What Wi-Fi networks have you successfully connected with for the Hero?

I have a few questions as well concerning your email with images. Is the behavior consistent from the same source? For example, if you receive an HTML newsletter, are the images consistently replaced with placeholders? What else can you tell me about when an email does not display the image? What email account are you using? What is the size limit you have set for your emails?

For .gif files, I tested our Hero and was able to view a gif image without issue. What is the source of the gif image that you cannot view? I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. The information that you supply may assist us in resolving some of the issues that you have brought up. Thank you, Ryan HTC Technical Support www.htc.com/us www.htcwiki.com

ME:

The Wifi Router I am specifically having issues with is a Linksys WRT110 N/G/B router. It is WPA-PSK, 128bit encryption. It is only a year old. I can connect to it fine with numerous laptops, the Palm Pre, and the Apple iPhone. However unless I am standing right next to it (and sometimes even then) I cannot connect to the router. This is the only N style router I connect to. Mostly I connect to older B/G Linksys routers or B/G 2Wire routers and have only mild issues with some delays in connecting when unlocking the phone.

As far as the email images go, it is on and off. I have more success pulling them if I use an aftermarket email client. But using the standard gmail or email clients on the phone I have problems pulling both imbedded jpeg images and html emails. Sometimes they take a while to load, other times they never do. In which case I just see a little question mark inside of a blue box, wherever the images belong. If I restart the phone and attempt to load the email again, it will often open the image. Also I seem to have more luck while connected to wifi getting the images to load. It may just take a very long time to download the images sometimes; however, since there is no “loading” indicator in the email application, I could not tell you. I have two Gmail accounts, a Ymail (yahoo), and MS Exchange account.

I really wish I could Sync both my Gmail accounts to the phone (calendar/contacts).

I have switched this phone (the HTC Hero) recently to my primary device. I have been receiving a LOT of complaints that I am not getting calls or texts. Recently I started testing the device in my spare time with my other devices. I call the device and it will go straight to voicemail when it is not being used. (IE the device is locked, not loading any web, not doing anything, and should receive a call). In my tests about 1 out of every 5 calls will fail to go through. Also, The times of day and my location seem to have no effect. Even if my phone reflects full signal the call will not arrive (when my other Sprint phones work well). Also, on the texting, I frequently am being told “message not sent”. I often find myself having to send the message multiple times. Other times I will receive the messages much later than they were sent to me (ie hours later). Also I have a couple of colleagues who need to bypass my email to contact me for urgent issues. They do not text so they email my text number (XXXXXXXX@pm.sprint.com) . On my other devices I can click reply and reply back via text. This works fine when emailed text from a Gmail, however if they email me a text from a MS Exchange account I cannot reply (even though the phone can identify that the message came from one of my address book contacts). I will have to have a separate text conversation for me to send text to that email address and another conversation where what they send me is shown. This is VERY frustrating especially when you are in a hurry and have to go start a new text thread to reply to their urgent message.

Also I have noticed when I unlock the phone, sometimes if I have more than one notification, it will take me 5 or 6 tries to pull down the notifications menu. The phone may just be waking up from being unlocked but there should be some option to unlock into the notifications menu, as I do not always have time to wait 30 seconds to glance at my notifications. When you are at a stop light, in and out of meetings, or working with people every second counts.

So far that is all the problems I am running into. I will keep the lines of communication open.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat