Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My HTC Hero has become unusable in the last 4-5 days

Highlighted
Journeyman

My HTC Hero has become unusable in the last 4-5 days

In the last four or five days my HTC Hero has "developed" the following issues:

1. Dialing has become so unresponsive that it takes anywhere from thirty to over ninety seconds for an initiated call to spawn the connection.
  2. Voicemail resets the phone (after a long, long delay at a blank, black screen).
  3. Call history comes up blank (every time).
  4. Well, as I am writing this, dialing no longer works at all, delivers a black, blank screen, and then delivers a Force close dialogue complaining that android.process.acore is not responding.

This phone had been working fairly flawlessly for several (three or more weeks) after my successful 2.1 update.

I have gone as far as a hard reset, and still this thing is no more a phone than is my Nissan.  This is my second HTC Hero (the first one could not hold a charge for more than four hours under any situation/settings) and I cannot say that I rate HTC very highly as a first-time customer.

Phone:  Hero200

Firmware:  2.1-update1

Kernel:  2.6.29-bc0d2cff htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build number:  2.27.651.6 CL169236 release-keys

Software number: 2.27.651.6

Browser version:  WebKit 3.1

PRI Version:  2.20_003

Tomorrow (Wednesday, 18Aug2010) I am heading to the Sprint Store to see if they can fix this.  A smartphone that isn't a good PHONE (first and foremost) is nothing I can afford to deal with and this is a nightmare.  While I know that Sprint is working on this situation, I cannot afford to wait; this is my ONLY phone.  A trip to the Sprint Store means taking the day off so I can deal with this.  That is a lot of money lost for something that should be able to make and receive phonecalls innately.

Sprint, this hurts.  I should not be alpha testing HTC hardware for your network, and my experiences are clearly pre-alpha thus far with HTC and Android.

If a hard reset won't fix the problem, I fail to see the usefulness of this type of phone in the field, and that is where I work/live:  in the field.

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: My HTC Hero has become unusable in the last 4-5 days

What apps did you download recently.... if the phone was working and then all of a sudden doesn't, what has changed.  sounds like a newer app is interfering with the dialing and vm funtions or too many programs are trying to access the same resorces when you try and use the phone's funtions.

Journeyman

The Maps update, the Facebork update, and the Rerware backup pro update.

Neither Facebork nor Maps will uninstall, and rolling them back does not fix the problem.  Re-boots don't fix the problem.  I am in the middle of seeing how well hard reset #2 pans out.  Reset #1 did not fix a thing.

There are no newer apps right now.  In fact, I am expressly going to disallow _any_ apps at this point.  I am tired of having to be sysadmin on my phone as well as my computers (at least on my computers I have a command line).  I mean, the entire concept of "too many apps" is exactly how many?  Three, four, nine?  I had nine apps, the majority of which were highly praised by professionals and n00bs alike (and they also cost money).

It's just far more cumbersome that a phone should ever be (please forgive my whining).  Living without my virtual magic 8 ball is going to be a dreary prospect.  LOL

Journeyman

My HTC Hero also took this same downward sprial, I removed all but 8 apps, backed up those to the SD memory with ASTRO, exported my contacts to the SD memory and did a hard reset. I've been good for about the last 4 days so far. Outside of what comes with it, I have installed Google Voice, Timeriffic, TV.com, Scanlife, ShopSavvy, Ringo Lite, Facebook and Astro. The one thing I did not put back that I used to use religiously was Advanced Task Killer, I heard too many negative things about using apps to end running apps on a linux based OS. I had the com.htc.bg blues for a bit but that's gone after my back-up, hard reset and restore.

Journeyman

I've been going back through my notes and I see some potential issues with (at least) one app.  I'd written down two observations about my contacts being flooded with 10+ duplicates of FB contacts in my "People" address/phone book (per FB friend/contact) after the Facebork update.   No more FB via their app...certainly no more "sync'ing" of contacts, ever.

Message was edited by: justwally

That should say (more clearly) that I won't be allowing sync operations between my phone's address/phone book and that of Facebork or through any other social network API's.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat