cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My biggest problem with my Hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

My biggest problem with my Hero

So I switched from a Instinct to my new Hero a few months back. My bissgest issue with the Hero is lack of Bluetooth dialing. I'm in California where it is the law that while driving you must use a headset, which I have no problem with. my instinct was great, tap the bt and tell it who to call.

My Hero, nothing? I left the instinct due to lack of support, I had the Ver. 1 and never had an issue with it. I wanted a phone that could do more and help with business mided apps. Seems HTC and Sprint want me to get into a accident or get a ticket, rather that market a phone that will abide the laws we have to live with.

I'd really like to see someone step and take care of this quickly, I have read posts where there is a blame of the OS and "it" should be fixed with next update. I think "it" has to be fixed or allot of us might have to look elsewhere for service/devices that help us with beign safe and following the laws.

Anyone else have a problem with the lack of BT support or any incite on this subject?

Happy Holidays!

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: My biggest problem with my Hero

Personally I gave up on bluetooth headsets.  I have a couple still, but I now have resorted to the wired kind like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACKBERRY-STEREO-HEADSET-WIRED-3-5mm-earphone_W0QQitemZ280419259475QQcmdZVi...

I got sick of the constant charging and the power going off in the midst of a conference call.  They are also never loud enough.

Although this says for blackberry, it works fine w/ my hero.  Louder too (since you can plug in both ears, but I recommend only one during driving).

Journeyman

Remember when you were picking on the nerd in Junior high and High School? He is our boss today so enjoy what we get

They have the BRAINS to step up. Not that what we do is less important but it may be less important to this issue. Thank you for what you do, but in reality we depend on others to fix these things, just as they rely on us to do our jobs. Give them time and have patience. ty

Journeyman

qrius, thanks but I will stick with BT. Again I never had an issue with my instinct...

ww2157, Not sure what you are trying to say in your coded language and maybe if it were not so coded people might get it. (Don't worry I get it, just makes no sense with the issue) I know we have to wait, do you see me starting a death squad on the issue? I just want them to know due to the laws we have we need this ASAP.

Journeyman

I bought the BlueAnt Supertooth hands free unit new for $30, paired it with my Hero, use the included voice dial, works fine.

Journeyman

Interesting possiblilty, I'd rather use my BT headset instead of paying for another one. But thanks for the info I will keep that for possibilites if they do not make the phone updated by today's BT standards.

When you say included voice dial, is that software that comes with it?

It states:

Use your voice to make calls (if your phone supports voice dialing over Bluetooth)

My impression is the hero does not that is why I can not dial via BT?

http://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-Supertooth-Bluetooth-Speakerphone-Black/dp/B001953NGS

$96 is far more than $30

Journeyman

BlueAnt Supertooth Light Bluetooth Handsfree Item condition: New Price: US $35.99 FREE shipping   This is the one I purchased on eBay, I do not think that the Hero is able to use all the features of the more expense unit.      The voice dialing feature is already on the Hero, from the home screen select "all programs" and then select "voice dialer"  I have installed it on my home screen and it works well.

Journeyman

The voice dial feature included is ok, but it's not bluetooth. Again my problem is that the heo does not have a simple feature that is on most phones for years. The ability to dial a call by using any bluetooh headset, by pressing  the button on the headset only then speaking.

Journeyman

I have the same problem. I recently moved over from a Samsung 550M that worked just fine with my Motorola Bluetooth head-sets. I have a Motorola 700, a 710, and now a 715. My old Samsung had a built-in voice dialling application that "Just worked". I pressed the headset button and got a series of voice prompts to dial my phone without ever touching it. Obviously I've gotten spoiled and had the mistaken conception that this was industry standard. Boy was I surprised when I was forced to upgrade my phone to one that could get email for my support job. I really liked the Hero and its interface so I went with it. I paired my bluetooth headset with it and took a call. Great. However, when I was driving and atempted to dial via headset, the phone just sat there, no prompts, nothing.

I have a support job and am on the road a lot. I also live in California and it is against the law to dial your phone while driving. This is a very serious ommision for those of us here in Cali.

For this problem, the built-in voice dialer will not work for this situation because I would have to manipulate the phone while driving, a big no-no.

I do wonder if Sprint is working on implementing this. ETA would completely subjective on how dificult this would be to code and test. It would be very nice to know if the problem is getting attention.

Journeyman

paulusbd glad to hear I'm not the only one here. I have seen talk about this on other forums, but I wanted Sprint to see HERE that this needs to be solved.

Journeyman

Yep,

The company who is selling the phone needs to be aware of the problems. In my mind, they are ultimately responsible because they marketed it and sold it with some specific use models. Lack of hands-free dialling in California is not a good thing. I really like the Hero, and I happen to like Sprint. I've been with them for about 5 years and will take them any day over AT&T. I was originally with Pac-Bell, that became Cingular, that became AT&T. Sprint is more like the Pac-Bell I started with, which is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure Sprint is aware of this problem and is working on a fix. They released the phone without this feature as a business decision so that the phone was not stalled waiting. Android phones are new turf, Apple has a couple years jump on Android phones since the iPhone has been in people's hands for a while. Given time, Android is going to become a great product.

Cheers

Journeyman

Android doesn't allow voice dial through Bluetooth.  Neither does Palm's WebOS.  The trouble is Sprint lists the Hero's features in a misleading way -- saying that it has voice-activated dialing.  I guess it's technically correct.  I live in a hands-free-only-while-driving state, too, and am confounded as to why such old technology is absent on "cutting-edge" phones.  Far cheaper and older phones have the technology.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat