cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never ending Voicemail upgrade download...

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

Never ending Voicemail upgrade download...

I visited the voicemail app and got a message to check for upgrade. I clicked to upgrade and it's been "Downloading" with a green circle of death for hours now.

I can use other applications on the phone by going to HOME and can even check my voicemail by calling my own number, but that application seems frozen. Anyone else having a similar problem or solved it and can help?

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Never ending Voicemail upgrade download...

Yep, I started a thread called 'First issue' yesterday.

In the Settings > Application screen, select 'Unknown sources' and it will allow the upgrade to install.

Patron

I've done that, but it still says it's downloading. Should I have done that first? Is that "Unknown sources" setting something that I can switch on for the install, then off after it's installed completely or does it have to be on at all times to use?

...and thanks for the reply. I did see that thread, but I am still having trouble with it.

Journeyman

Sorry, I didn't read close enough.

I had that happen once with Google Market.  Clicked 'Install' to install an app and it never downloaded.  Eventually, I cancelled the download and restarted it and it came right down.

So, my guess is you need to restart the download.

Patron

That worked!

For anyone else having this trouble and looking for the solution, make sure you go into the settings and allow the unknown sources to be installed in applications BEFORE you start the download. If you forget, simply turn off the phone on your HOME menu and then restart the download after you've allowed the install.

FYI, make sure you carefully read the warning that comes up with the visual voicemail application, as you must allow the application to access some sensitive data (nothing TOO sensitive, but it isn't a warning for nothing!). Also, I've since turned OFF the "Unknown sources" application setting without having any problems using the app.

I hope this helps someone else. Kudos to Malachi!

Journeyman

Malachi wrote:

Sorry, I didn't read close enough.

I had that happen once with Google Market.  Clicked 'Install' to install an app and it never downloaded.  Eventually, I cancelled the download and restarted it and it came right down.

So, my guess is you need to restart the download.

Yea that happened to me what I first got the phone. Had a bunch of apps that weren't downloading so I stopped and restarted them and it worked.

Journeyman

Here are some helpful instructions for others having trouble with the voicemail upgrade process.

During the setup of your visual voicemail, you should receive an upgrade prompt,  "An upgrade is now available."

·        Click "Upgrade" button.  "Checking for upgrade" window will pop-up.

·        When you receive a message saying "Install blocked" pop-up that reads: "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market." , Click "Settings."

·        Check the "Unknown Sources" checkbox to enable download and click "OK" at the Attention pop-up (personal data message).

·        Click the back hard key  (arrow pointing left) to return to Visual Voicemail inbox.

·        Click the menu > Settings > Check for Upgrade" and then click "Upgrade"

·        Once found, select "OK" at Replace Application screen and then click Install, and when its finished, click "Done".

If you are concerned with having the Application Setting > Unknown sources checkbox selected, you can remove this setting by going to Home> Settings > Applications > Deselect Unknown sources.

Finally, if you are unsure whether or not the upgrade was successful, you can Click the voicemail icon > menu > Settings > Check for Upgrade.   If it says "No upgrade is available at this time" you are good to go.

Journeyman

Same story with me.  Thanks to this thread I am now allowing 'unknown sources'.  Thanks guys!  I'd love to know how a day old phone can already need an upgrade???

Journeyman

I had the same problem, I cancelled the download restarted and was able to get it installed.

However now when I have a new voicemail the application shows "No Voicmails"

Anyone else have this problem with the upgrade? What should I do??

Journeyman

Is the upgrade needed?  What did the upgrade do.  I have gotten what you all got and just have decided not to upgrade yet as I am not sure what it is for.

Journeyman

The upgrade is needed, an intermittent bug was discovered after devices were shipped.  If you have the bug, you will get notified of new voicemails, but they will not be sent to your client forcing you to call in to get the messages.

Carefully follow the upgrade instructions I posted above and to fix or prevent the issue.

After the upgrade, its a good idea to send yourself a voicemail from another device (or using the compose feature).  This will trigger the platform to immediately resend your previous visual voicemails to the updated client.

Message was edited by: voicemailguy

Journeyman

thanks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat