cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service after installing applications

Highlighted
Patron

No service after installing applications

I am having a big problem with my phone. It is not for every app downloaded but after turning the phone off and rebooting it after I have downloaded apps my phone comes back on with No service and almost every Android app (gmail, maps, phone, etc..) errors on startup up and forces me to close it. If I go back and uninstall every app I just installed (I use appmanager cause the market is disabled without service) and the reboot the phone I get service again. I really dont want to have to reboot after every single app installed but it seems like that is the only way. Please help I have tried searching but cannot find any other topics concerning this.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Patron

Ok I take it that I am one of the only people really experiencing this problem since no one else seems to reply?

Message was edited by: hakudoshi

Highlighted
Journeyman

this has happened to me twice now and for no good reason i was a good 3-4 days without installing anything and now i get no servie and EVERY app crashes during boot and some menu items i can not even access.

this is most frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i did not check the earlier-link, but i assume it is the link that explains (based on user feedback) if you install a grand-total of 70-80 apps, then you are going to have problems...  the number seems to be slightly variable - but the gist seems to be the same...  if you go over 70 apps, then be cautious because you are prolly gonna run into problems...  the apps-themselves do not matter much (assuming of course that they do run/install on hero), but rather the total number...

my guess about the mystery-start-to-problem is that you had/have an app that auto-updates and/or auto-installs a sub-component when it is used...  because to install 70+ apps and to use them all at once would be kinda surprising to me...

if folks are having this problem and NOT having/using/installing 70+ apps, then i dont have a clue...  gl, h.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I removed 5-7 apps, just games I rarely played and rebooted twice.. that fixed my problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I experience this issue every few days when i install or update apps.  I remove a few apps (not necessarily the ones i just installed) when this happens and upon reboot my phone has service again.  The no service problem happens whenever I have 24MB or less of RAM free.  It seems when there is less than that some of the necessary services can't start and subsequently started apps/services including android.core die upon reboot.  I'd love to see a fix for this issue, or at least an automatic check to test if there will be enough free RAM left for the system to run after upgrading/installing apps.

I imagine this will become a non-issue when Android 2.something includes app2sd support by default.  I hope that firmware upgrade comes soon, Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a really frustrating problem. I doubt it has anything to do with the remaining space on the phone. I have a 4G and have like 3616MB free and I still have the problem. I have read all you guys' comments and I don't think there is one absolute explanation for this problem. Sprint doesn't even know about it or how to fix it. I went to sprint and actually got a new htc hero phone like a month ago but same problem. There are some apps that i know 101% that they always cause the problem for me: "Where" and "Movies". These two for sure always cause the problem. I read about downloading several apps at one time may be the issue. However, there has been times where I have gone days without downloading anything and then all of a sudden my internet stops working. When I restart then I get the "No Service" message and the other "Forced Closed" messages. I hope an update to Android 2.0 will fix this problem. Otherwise, the hero is really useless. If its a match for the iphone (that has an advantage because of apps) and it has this problem then its really wack. Anyway, please keep commenting on this so those of us that have the problem will be updated on any possible solutions. Thanks guys!

Highlighted
Journeyman

A 4GB micro sdhc card is nice (I have an 8GB class 6 card), but in the current stock rom versions your apps aren't installed to the SD, they're only installed to the RAM.  After a reset that's about 140MB of space for apps/memory.  You can watch the free space numbers change in Settings > SD Card & Phone Storage > "Internal phone storage" if you look before and after you install apps.

Google knows this is not ideal, and they are planning to add native app2sd functionality in future versions of Android.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks tmuka for the clarification. Yeah, I uninstalled an app and saw that it only affected my internal phone storage and not my SD card. That kinda sucks because that was one of the reasons I bought the 4GB. Anyway, thanks again and hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so glad i found this post. i am having this issue but i can not delete the apps or uninstall. i cant get into market to uninstall and it wont let me deleted from programs list. how can i delete and reboot?

Highlighted
Journeyman

maybe try removing apps from home > menu > settings > applications menu?  hope this helps!  while you're there in settings perhaps check how much free storage you have in settings > "SD Card and Phone Storage" > Internal Phone Storage.

Highlighted
Patron

So it seems to me that you can only have 72 applications installed (Not including the default ones that came pre loaded) at anytime. I installed a few different applications one at a time and then rebooted each time and go no service each time. After I deleted one of the other apps installed and tried installing one of the apps I got no service with my phone rebooted just fine. grr... Having an app limit is a major downfall I say if the android system is trying to compete with iphone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased the HTC Hero on March 10, 2010 on the Sprint Network. I was experiencing the same "out of service", "no Voice Mail", "force close", no android system found" issues. If you were fortunate enough to have installed "AppRemover v1.1.0 before your problems began then you can simply use this program to uninstall apps according to the Date of Installation which is really convenient. In my case, I uninstalled every app that I downloaded on March 25, 2010. I performed a soft-reset and wallah! My phone has service again, the android system files loaded just fine with no force close warnings, and most importantly I didn't have to perform a hard-reset.

I'm not sure which specific app are causing these issues but I really don't have the time to investigate it thoroughly. I just want my phone to work.

Members Nak131 and cgfour makes a good point stating that there may be an issue with downloading too many apps on the same day or without rebooting between a certain number of apps when downloading. I started having my issues the day after I downloaded like 10+ apps. It is my hope that HTC's new firmware and software updates will address these issues.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat