cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issues with HTC Hero touch screen (laggy/unresponsive)

Journeyman

Odd issues with HTC Hero touch screen (laggy/unresponsive)

On occasion my HTC Hero's screen will have trouble responding to touch commands. When this happens I am unable to drag across the screen to unlock it - the slider for that responds but snaps back to its starting position. Same thing after I unlock the screen using the menu button: if I try to drag down the notifications - the window slides down but snaps back. It feels like the touch response is all laggy and something else is eating way to much processor power to allow the interface to operate properly. Sometimes (but not always) this problem resolves if i kill the Touch Input process, turn off and turn the phone back on. It seems that starting to charge the phone aggravates the problem if it is getting to this point.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Is there a known cause and maybe even a solution?

Cheers,

SE

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Odd issues with HTC Hero touch screen (laggy/unresponsive)

Welcome to the club, Sprint and HTC keeps saying "it must be your phone because nobody is complaining about the problem"

That's a load of crap, there are problems with 1.5 and that is only one of them.  Hopefully one day soon Sprint and HTC will get of their derrieres and fix some of these bugs instead to keeping silient about the problems.

Sprint your customer service SUCKS, FIX THE PHONE!!!!

-TL

Journeyman

Download TaskManager, and without stopping anything, what is your free memory (2nd value, top left) when you see this lag/unresponsiveness?

Journeyman

Thanks for your responses...

Sometimes it is not possible to *start* a task manager because the screen does not respond, but when it is, memory is usually okay - 30 MB or so available, plus killing browser and other memory hogs does not resolve the issue.

Are there any known issues with the Android version that would lead to this? Still not sure if anybody else is seeing this problem.

Cheers,

Stefan

Journeyman

YESSSS, RIGHT HERE!!! at first mine was doing it at the same time everyday. ~10:50pm. shut it off completly, restarted, closed every app via advanced task killer. nothing. didnt get a response till midnight. talk about frustrating.  with in the past week it has been doing more often.  and at random times. just now it did it. i came on to here and read your post. glad iam not the only one. i read an article about 2.1 android coming out for us hero's but they could easily push it back like they have been doing for months now.  love the phone..... when it works.

Journeyman

Thanks for responding - it is good to know I'm not the only one :-) It is a strange issue and a total showstopper when it does happen.

First I thought it was the presence of a task manager with auto kill that was doing it - but it can happen when no such software is running as well.

Hoping an Android upgrade could do something about this...

So far the things that have resolved it when it doesn't resolve itself (neither foolproof): kill "Touch Input" or reboot the phone.

Things that appear to aggravate the situation: charging the phone (you'd think that was mostly hardware...)

-S

Journeyman

I am having the same problem! Been having it for about 1 -2 weeks. I've talked to customer service who told me I needed to clean the screen! Like I hadn't already thought of that. I've done soft resets, updated firmware and profile and let the phone completely die before charging it again. Today I became so frustrated that I used an app (BackupandShare) in the market to back up my contacts, photos, videos, etc and then did a hard reset. Only to still have the problem. I only have 1 extra intstalled app. There is definitely a problem with this phone. Sucks because I love my hero. Might be upgrading to the HTC HD2.

Journeyman

Here's your solution: Factory Reset. Then don't load too many applications at a time. Reboot after installing a set of apps. Reboot the phone once a day. DO NOT USE TASK MANAGERS! I'm dead serious about this one. Never even load one on board. As soon as you start using one, you will start to cause system glitches which after a while cause Android to grind to a halt. Read this for more information: http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/. This article is by a well respected Android developer. Read it if you don't believe me about task killers. Android will take care of your memory better than you can. It knows which processes can be killed. It isn't a matter of simply if an app is a core system app or not. Killing an app that is performing some function will cause system wide issues. Don't think you are smarter than Android or you will cause problems. If you really need things to run smoothly, root and install a custom rom. I recommend Fresh's 1.5 roms. You can find them at the site mentioned before. They have a bunch of optimizations.

Journeyman

I think that is too simplistic (not using task managers). You need it for some applications that have no other way to die. I can see how a tug of war could bring down the phone if a task manager is killing an application about as fast as the OS is brining it back up again, but that would only happen if you are using an autokill feature without thinking. My phone has had this happen when no task manager was running...

Rebooting every day seems absurd - what is that if not a substitute for killing unwanted processes?

-S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you read the article? There is a lot about how Android runs that needs to be understood before deciding if task managers are a good idea. For a power user, make sure you understand Android on a deep level. If you are an average joe, don't use task managers at all as you probably won't understand when its ok. It is always a good idea to let Android do things the way it was designed. If you want to exit apps that you can't hit exit or won't turn off when you back all the way out of them, then use commantalb. Its on the market and you can use it to tell an app to exit. Big difference between killing and exiting. Think red x in windows versus process manager. Oh yeah, I forgot in my other post, the way to exit apps in Android is to use the back button, not home. Only use home if you want to leave an app running. If you use back, it will exit the app. Some apps have an exit option either on screen or in the menu. Of course, some apps are designed poorly and the back button will not exit. If it is one of those apps, use home and then use commantalb to exit it. I hope this helps. In Android 2.1, you will be able to monitor non-essential services. You can stop those if you want, though they will break their corresponding apps if you aren't careful. But stay away from process managers, even the ones that monitor only 3rd party apps. They can still break stuff. Read the article. It goes into depth about this.

Journeyman

Yes I have read the article in it's original form over at android.com - basic android process management. I disagree that it goes into detail as to why task managers are bad for you. I find it hard to trust the judgement of a programmer who does not know the meaning of "hard coded".

Thanks for the "commantalb" tip - it asks for permission to restart but maybe that means permission to request a finish for the activity.

There is a killProcess() call but it is limited to processes associated (same uid) with the process making the call so I am not sure that this is actually what the task managers are using...

I have no doubts that a task manager can be abused to cause instability in the phone, but it does not seem to be the fundamental reason for why my phone is having these issues as they have occurred when the task manager was not running (and the reason I looked into process management in the first place).

-S

Message was edited by: sengstrom

Journeyman

Ok well that's good. I'm glad that the commantalb suggestion helped. I have had problems just from using a task manager a couple of times and then uninstalling it. Eventually stuff got really bad. I have noticed a difference when I don't even install one. To each their own. The absolute best way to deal with memory is to root and edit the memory manager. There are many ways to do it, but I think the easiest way requires the Gumbo kernel and the app minfreemanager. Anyways, hopefully the official 2.1 build will manage memory a little better. If nothing else, there's always the Evo! . Have a great day.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat