cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issues with HTC Hero touch screen (laggy/unresponsive)

Journeyman

Re: Odd issues with HTC Hero touch screen (laggy/unresponsive)

my hero is about to take a trip out my window. when i start to use it, it becomes unresponsive almost instantly. i cant even dial!!!!! what if i had to call for help? iam screwed.

Journeyman

Just call Sprint's customer service, they'll tell you that they've never heard of the problem before and have you reset your phone.  The problem may go away for a day or two but come back, when you call them a second time they'll say "it must be a hardware problem, we'll swap the phone for you"  Of course the problem will come back with the new phone as its a software bug not a hardware fault.

WAY TO GO SPRINT WITH YOUR EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

-TL

Journeyman

I've had 2 Heros since October 2009. The laggy response time to your touch on the screen is nothing new.  The only solution the "tech" guys have at the Sprint store is to provide you with another "new" Hero. My cubicle mate in the office rooted his Hero with the 2.1 firmware (unless you know what you're doing, I'd suggest you not try this or risk having your Hero turn into an expensive paper weight). For lack of better words, let's just say that a Hero on 2.1 seems to respond quicker and perform better with apps than my phone with 1.5. I asked my cubicle mate if he could root my phone and I'm getting the "I don't have time, but I will eventually." We're running on 1.5 and it just seems that this firmware was "forced" to work with the Hero on a CDMA network. We'll just have to wait for the upgrade via OTA soon. When? Who knows.

Journeyman

Time Lord, stop being a jerk. That answer was definitely not helpful and all I ever see on your posts is criticism for Sprint. When Sprint's customer service fails to fix the problem, then people come to the forums. Rather than ranting (please see the Rants forum), why don't you learn some tricks and share actual advice to fix the problem.

Now back to the issue:

First thing may sound stupid, but have you tried rebooting? Sometimes, people don't reboot often enough and the system starts to slow way down. Try to reboot once a day.

Next, if rebooting isn't the issue, it may be background processes. I highly recommend against task killers, and if you've been using one, more than likely that's your main culprit. If this is the case, the damage is already done, so uninstalling won't help you. To fix this, back up any data you don't want to lose, I recommend keeping contacts and calendars synced with Google or Exchange at all times. Once you have a backup of your personal data, do a factory data reset. This will actually fix lag regardless of what is causing your phone to lag. After doing this, reinstall apps one by one, rebooting after a couple. This will make sure they install correctly, and should show if there are any issues with specific apps. Don't install too many apps, as this can slow down the system, and 70 can make it completely unstable because of a bug. Never install a task killer.

Always exit an app by hitting back until it closes. A handful of apps won't let you back out of them, so look under their menu to find an exit button. Hitting home just minimizes the app to the background. Android should eventually kill off these background processes, but only use it if you need the app to run in the background. Something that helped me a lot is Commantalb. This app doesn't kill processes but lets you end applications that are running, as well as show you which apps (not processes) are running. Use this for apps like the browser that never actually exit, even with back.

The other thing to do is root. The process is painless, just follow the instructions to the letter and nothing will go wrong. The place you have to be careful with is when you flash a Rom, radio image, kernel, etc. Go to forum.xda-developers.com and go to the CDMA Hero section.Only use stuff from that site, as the devs usually have good documentation for their stuff and there is plenty of feedback on how it works and what to do about any bugs.

Here is a link with a lot of how-to's for our Hero:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=CDMA%20Hero%20Guides

Hopefully these things will fix any issues you have. Just remember to always back up your stuff, so when something like this happens, factory resets will be less of a pain. Actually, from flashing roms so much, I actually got used to wiping my phone every other week and have no issues. I never care about old messages and all my contacts and calendars automatically sync with my phone within 10 minutes. Then I go to the market and download my favorite apps and I'm good to go.

Hope this helps. Don't pay any attention to people like Time Lord. They basically just troll the forums, ranting on and on about Sprint. It like the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." That is good advice, (I'm looking at you Time Lord) and the only exception is in the Rant and Raves forum. If you have any more problems with your Hero, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Cheers.

Journeyman

Is it wrong to expect a company to deliver on what it advertises, and above all else have a reliable PHONE where I could receive incoming calls consistently?

Lets see I did a full reset on the phone and was using a 100% stock phone with zero apps loaded other than the ones supplied by Sprint/HTC, remember once I move away from what Sprint supplies they can simply walk away and say you changed the software its now your problem plus not being 20 something years old any longer I don't always have the patience or the time to sit there are try every little tweak somebody comes out with.

Bluetooth is broken - won't reconnect reliably with multiple different car kits (other phones work 100%), I can accept the fact that the bluetooth stack is limited but at least make what is included work.

Keyboard lag - sometimes its so bad I have no choice but to power cycle the phone.

Biggest grip is the ring lag.  You suggest changing the slot cycle, first Sprint set it to a specific value for a reason so I am loath to change it, plus if you had you read my other posts where I pulled a debugging report from the phone after I received a phone call that had a severe ring lag you would see that the phone had been notified of the incoming call (which is all the slot cycle would improve btw) but that the phone waited almost 11 seconds before starting its "ring cycle" by lighting up the screen and then let another ring pass before making an audible sound.

Others have compaired the headaches of this phone to those of the iPhone, and by what I have read the iPhone had its problems too, the difference is Apple provided software updates on a relativily quick basis to attempt to resolve the problems.  Sprint has issued one patch early on and has then been silent.  I think even Verizon has issued 2 or 3 patches for the Motorola Droid, and this was for a phone that came out after the Hero.  Keep in mind Sprint's MO is issue one patch and forget about the phone.

Do I think the Hero has the potential to be a good if not great phone?  Absolutely and that's why I bought it, I got it within a week of it coming out.  If Sprint and HTC don't start dealing with some of the problems you can be sure there will be defectors.

All I am asking Sprint to do is to acknoledge these problems and that a fix is forthcoming, but of course in Sprint's poor reputation of customer service I don't expect them to say anything.

-TL

Journeyman

The thing is that Sprint has acknowledged many of these issues. They are busy working on 2.1 which is a major upgrade. I think they are trying to get it out as fast as possible, hence they aren't working actively on minor fixes. I think they're goal is to get 2.1 out quickly and include as many fixes as possible. I'm just saying, chill. The update will come soon and will fix things. Just give it time. Also, like I've said before rooting and flashing won't hurt anything, you can always go back, and as long as you don't do something that isn't part of instructions, you will be fine. I screwed up my PRI once and that was easily fixed. There's actually very little chance you will brick your phone, unless you don't follow directions or start making up your own fixes without knowing what you are doing. Just go over to forum.xda-developers.com. There is tons of support, and people who have bricked their phones have gotten help there.

Journeyman

I don't think Sprint has acknoledged any of these issues, you call their customer support and they act like you are the only one with the problem and then simply swap your phone for the same make/model saying "that will fix it" or have you set your phone back to factory defaults only to have the problem re-appear within 24 hours.

I still feel the Hero has a lot of potential and I'm willing to live with some minor annoyances but being unable to reliably receive an incoming phone call?  I would think that is embarassing to Sprint.

Personally I don't care if these problems are fixed in 1.5 or 2.1 but the problems NEED TO BE FIXED.

Lastly, the writing is on the wall for the Hero's demise, the HTC EVO has been announced, we'll be lucky if we get one more update before Sprint makes the Hero go away.

Journeyman

That is just the life of new technology... it has been six months, I cant remember a time that I didn't have lust for another phone right after upgrading to the something new.  I bet less six months after the Evo drops there will be another beautiful centerfold coming out.

Journeyman

Hi,

I agree with a lot of what's been said here.  I've had the issue where at the same time everynight, the phone would slow down to an unusable point, and after about 20 minutes, it would be fine again.  I have weird touch screen issues as well.  I also have apps that have been shut down, and two days later (without reset) they relaunch all by themselves (Sprint Navigator is the biggest culprit). I've been promised that 2.1 would fix most of my issues.  I even got the Hero over the Palm Pre because it was supposed to have voice dial (we all know that it really doesn't), and I expected 2.1 to be out within a month of my purchase (by 3/15) - in fact, I was promised.  The simple fact that I don't hate this phone really surprises me because I have such high expectations (was really upset about the voice dial and bluetooth lies), but I seem to have gotten over them.

The touch screen issue I've noticed recently is that the screen is much more responsive to my thumb than my index finger.  Has anyone else experienced that?  The difference is huge.  The phone is almost unoperable with my index finger... and typing text messages with your thumb just doesn't work.  Anybody else with this one?

Thanks!

btw, former WinMo user (3 different HTC models) with ATT.  The WinMo phones really did everything... just not well.

Journeyman

The 2.1 update effectively fixes all unreasonable lag issues that I've noticed.

The phone is still a lot slower than something like a Nexus One or Droid, but it also has a much slower CPU.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat