cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps an update on the 2.1 upgrade...

Highlighted
Patron

Perhaps an update on the 2.1 upgrade...

I've been on the site for a long time and have used this forum since the release of the Hero after buying five for my business.  Like all of you I'm really excited to get the update from Sprint/HTC.  My best friend is a executive for Sprint and honestly he isn't someone that is always in the know but he is at a company meeting now and is texting me that they are being told by HTC reps that the 2.1 update will come on April 9.  I know that date has been thrown around before and I'm not here to tell you that I can guarantee you that date but he said all reps there say it's April 9.

Not trying to stir things up or pretend that I have some definite inside news but I wanted to pass on what I was just told.

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey guys, as someone involved in project management for applications I can tell you the answer is pretty simple.  If you know for sure something will take longer than 2 weeks to finish, but you're not sure if it's 4 or 6 weeks away yet then you can definitely say it WON'T be ready by a date 2 weeks out.  However, also as a PM I have to say this is pretty poor project management if they can't by now define their implementation, testing, and release timeline.  A year after Android is released and being a company with people who are experienced building cell phone software, they should have a pretty good handle on the release timeline within a couple of weeks at worst.  Either that or there just aren't dedicated resources assigned so the work keeps getting pushed out for higher priorities.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just read over the last 10 tweets. It's obvious their priorities are elsewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Of course they are. Especially with the EVO coming... I mean, what's more important? Releasing an update for a phone that's already out, or getting ready to launch the "next big thing" that will surely mean a huge increase in sales/profits?

Think about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Evo will fall flat on its face. In Normal Sprint MO they will let the Buz die and someone else steal the thunder with another device and their pride and joy will flop around for a bit and die. I for one have my money on the N1 with sprint they cant mess that up cuz its outside their control beyond providing the activation and service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's like the title of a thread I posted here:  Sprint doesn't care about the 2.1 update.

And from the looks of it, it's sure as hell true.  You're right:

1.  They're tweets/threads don't seem to make any implication that it's prioritzed or being worked on.

2.  They ignore questions/demands from the general public.

3.  They havn't passed around the right communication about the update to their local stores or customer service reps.

Everything Sprint is doing currently implies that 2.1 is NOT IMPORTANT!  They are not taking this update serious but for me, and others, it's extremely important for the basic functions of our phones to work as they should!

I'm sure someone will chime in and troll this thread just as the others have been, but I don't think we should stop until we get answers!!

I saw this in another thread.. Look at it this way:

1- You have a consumer base that gets piss poor support from you. These consumers are vocally outspoken to as many people as possible about how their phones need an update. This kind of negativity dissuades further customers from purchasing your product...
Q. In response, do you allocate more resources to fix the problem? Or allow them to continue to promote bad publicity for your product?

2- You have a consumer base that gets piss poor support from you. These consumers shut up and take it when they do not get any support. There is no negative publicity, and in fact, the deafening silence may lead you to think that there isn't even a problem in the first place...
Q. In response, do you allocate costly resources to fix a problem that is not effecting you in any negative way? Or do you just let it slide, and divert resources from that product to another with a huge outcry from that consumer community?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm thinking about statistically a company is at a disadvantage when it comes to reputation with customers. For every one person who has a bad experience, they will tell 11 other people about that bad experience. That same person, if they have a positive experience, will tell 5 people on average about their experience because positive experiences are expected.

So they can release the iPhone on Sprint and I dont think it would matter because they are hacking off their current customers, who leave Sprint, go to another carrier, and talk bad about how Sprint doesnt take care of it customers. This highlights the biggest reason why Sprint is loosing subscribers year after year. They want to turn it around but havent put forth any respectable effort to stem the tide of defecting customers. 30 day guarantees dont cut it and only will serve to erode any unwitting new customer retention rates. Meanwhile the only people sticking with Sprint are finding it more and more difficult to stay.

So which would you choose to focus on? I for one would do what I could to support the people that got me there and keep me afloat. If I do that, the new customers will follow on their own.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Highlighted

If Sprint really wants to build their customer base, then instead of worrying about the next best phone, shouldn't they be sending the message that if you, the customer, buy a phone from us, we will make sure that phone is upgraded regularly to provide you with the best and most up-to-date firmware available. To me, that's a bigger seller than we have the best phone (for now).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exactly, and that's what makes Android so popular. It's designed to be upgradable, but so far the only phone getting upgrades is the Palm Pre and Pixi and I suspect those updates are coming from Palm not Sprint.

Dont sell us a phone that's designed to be upgraded and never offer an upgrade. That's deceptive.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why don't you all stop complaining, root your phones (takes about 3 minutes) and get on with it. I have been running 2.1 for weeks now, and it's great. The latest version came out yesterday, it's fast, stable, and runs circles around 1.5

Seriously.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=643034

Highlighted
Journeyman

After the most recent leak obtained by damage over at XDA, it feels like this update will be pushed out sooner than we think. The latest version fixes 99% of the bugs and seems to be as finalized as it's going to get before it reaches the consumer. I'm betting we'll see it officially released within two weeks at the latest.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I should not have to root my phone to get the proper fixes, besides it seems some of those roms always have something not working on them. I have enough problems with my phone now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I suppose you shouldn't have to tune up your car either, but you do.

In any case, it seems that hundreds of complaint threads about the same issue are silly when there is a solution which is free, easy, and it works well. It takes as much time to complain in these threads as it does to root your phone. Just saying.

(and like the previous post says, the latest 2.1 versions are super stable, twice as fast as 1.5, battery life twice as long, etc.)

Help yourself.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat