ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps an update on the 2.1 upgrade...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Perhaps an update on the 2.1 upgrade...

infamousjax wrote:

It's like the title of a thread I posted here:  Sprint doesn't care about the 2.1 update.

And from the looks of it, it's sure as **** true.  You're right:

1.  They're tweets/threads don't seem to make any implication that it's prioritzed or being worked on.

2.  They ignore questions/demands from the general public.

3.  They havn't passed around the right communication about the update to their local stores or customer service reps.

Everything Sprint is doing currently implies that 2.1 is NOT IMPORTANT!  They are not taking this update serious but for me, and others, it's extremely important for the basic functions of our phones to work as they should!

I'm sure someone will chime in and troll this thread just as the others have been, but I don't think we should stop until we get answers!!

I saw this in another thread.. Look at it this way:

1- You have a consumer base that gets **** poor support from you. These consumers are vocally outspoken to as many people as possible about how their phones need an update. This kind of negativity dissuades further customers from purchasing your product...
Q. In response, do you allocate more resources to fix the problem? Or allow them to continue to promote bad publicity for your product?

2- You have a consumer base that gets **** poor support from you. These consumers shut up and take it when they do not get any support. There is no negative publicity, and in fact, the deafening silence may lead you to think that there isn't even a problem in the first place...
Q. In response, do you allocate costly resources to fix a problem that is not effecting you in any negative way? Or do you just let it slide, and divert resources from that product to another with a huge outcry from that consumer community?

I have been going back and forth with HTC and Sprint about my HTC Hero. I have had my device replaced twice, my screen replaced once, and I have hard reset 5 times. Still no one will admit that there are issues with slow downs, freezes, dialer, youtube, email, or anything else.

The last response I got on my STILL open 6 month old HTC help ticket they prepared a list of alternate apps I could download to use for messaging, email, and dialer. They also suggested I try a file manager to delete system files. I refused. This has gotten out of control. I haven't downloaded any apps since my 5th hard reset and I am not going to start. I have it stable enough right now that it really on freezes once every three days.

HTC made a crappy phone under pressure for Sprint. Sprint doesn't dare put the pressure on HTC to fix it. I cannot believe in this entire "update testing theory" because every time I get an update for my Sprint phone it messes something else up that would have been easily caught if ANYONE had used the update on a primary device for 48 hours. Like when I updated my Palm Pre to 1.4 and got the volume toggle issue where it was constantly turning the volume up and down and was fixed weeks later by update 1.4.1.1.

I do not care if I get any new features. I just want my phone to work and work consistently.

Patron

Re: Perhaps an update on the 2.1 upgrade...

the response from REDEAGLE28 has to be the best... very nive call out

10. Apr 1, 2010 Posted in response to: izzyks

I've read one or two posts from the admins here in the recent past that there is no definitive date as to when android 2.1 will drop, the only confirmed time frame is early 2Q 2010.  My question, to izzyks or any other admin on these forums is simply, how is it that you can tell us there isn't a definitive date yet you're absolutely sure that we will NOT get 2.1 on 4/9?

I'm not saying I believe the 4/9 rumor but I don't see how someone that DOESN'T know when 2.1 will drop, DOES know when it won't!

... and its funny ever since that post.. no more sprint admins have said a word!!!!

and it is kinda true about all these admins really down playing april 9th.. i hope its true... i started a discussion about the april 9th maintenance release that was supposed to fix picture mail... and got this response from WILL

1. Mar 31, 2010 Posted in response to: Nikolas

1) It's not April 9.  We have not announced a date yet.  The April 9 was communicated in error.

2) We don't have a changelist yet - we'll also release that shortly after we confirm a date.  We can confirm that the base operating system will be upgraded to Android 2.1.

The release should be out shortly - we've commited to early 2nd Quarter 2010.

Thanks for your interest!

Will

soo yeah hopefully april 9th is true and we get updated to 2.1!!!!

april 9th is a tuesday.. and you all know who got thier updat to 2.1 on tuesday... yup big red verizon and the DROID

Journeyman

Re: root already

Are you serious ronnienyc?  A tune up on a vehicle is considered regular maintenance that MUST be done to keep the vehicle running properly and is required to avoid voiding a warranty.  That's pretty much a well known fact.  Rooting a phone is a modification and can void a warranty.  Pat76 is right in that he should not have root a phone and risk voiding a warranty to get it to work properly.  Can we stop these crap car to phone comparisons?

Journeyman

redeagle28 , of course you should not have to root, but when your choices are 1. waiting until the update, 2. whining in endless threads about when the update is going to arrive, or 3. rooting - I'll take rooting.

It is not productive to have a million complaint threads about "when is 2.1 coming", is it?

If you are serious about getting your phone working as it should, then root it. Or wait. End of story.

By the way, if anyone here wants help rooting and lives in NYC, I will do it for you for free. It's well worth it.

Journeyman

I agree. I've been running Fresh's new 2.0d release and love it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=643034

It's stable and fast. I am actually going to wait when the offical update comes out to see how it works and if the root window is closed. I will probably just stay rooted and running custome ROMs. It's way too much fun trying out different ROMs anyway.

Journeyman

Luna, how's your batt life? Mine is great now.

And everything works really, really well. Great reception - calls are loud and clear. I am no longer in a rush to get the Nexus honestly - mainly because I do not really want a larger phone, and this one is fast now 😉

Also the messaging is great now. I send myself a text to test, and it arrives in under 1 second! Rather than 30 sec to a couple minutes as it does with 1.5. Yep.

Journeyman

Battery life is awesome compared to 1.5. Actually everything is compared to 1.5. Like I stated above, now I've rooted I'll probably not go back.

Journeyman

I rooted on Friday. It's the first time I've ever done it to a phone. I used the latest Sprint 2.1 leak. I'm SOOOO glad I did. My phone never really had any issues with it. It locked on me a couple times, but when I started rebooting every night I didn't have any lag issues or problems with my text messages.

After updating to 2.1, holy crap. Everything is faster. Signal strength is better (and was good before that too). The voice to text option on the keyboard is surprisingly handy. It's pretty accurate too. I've only had a few issues with it when there was a lot of background noise and I was talking too fast.

After my wife saw it, she immediately wanted it. lol I told her we would wait a few days to see if there is some announcement from Sprint. I'd like to put the official one on her phone just to compare speed and stuff. If we don't hear anything tho, we will be rooting and flashing hers.

Seriously... All you people complaining about not having the update, this is the easiest way to get it early. If you make a backup of your phone, you can always restore the backup and un-root it.

Journeyman

Take this for what it's worth. I had a chat with a rep today and here's the jist of it. Not 100% convinced, but hopeful.

04/08/2010 12:28:29PM System: "Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Michael S."

04/08/2010 12:28:29PM Mr. *****: "Android update"

04/08/2010 12:29:04PM Mr. *****: "Hello. I was wondering if there was any new info about the Android two point one update."

04/08/2010 12:29:52PM Agent (Michael S): "I understand your concern about HTC Hero 2.1 update."

04/08/2010 12:31:22PM Mr. *****: "I didn't say anything about HTC Hero. I actualy have a Samsung Moment."

04/08/2010 12:31:49PM Agent (Michael S): "I am sorry for that."

04/08/2010 12:32:51PM Agent (Michael S): "But Next week we are going to launch HTC Hero 2.1."

04/08/2010 12:33:07PM Agent (Michael S): "Which is a Android device."

04/08/2010 12:33:37PM Agent (Michael S): "It will be the latest Android phone available with Sprint."

04/08/2010 12:33:54PM Mr. *****: "So your saying that the 2.1 update will the launched next week, for the Hero and the Moment?"

04/08/2010 12:34:17PM Mr. *****: "Or are you saying that a new phone HTC Hero will be launched?"

04/08/2010 12:35:34PM Agent (Michael S): "Yes, This 2.1 update is for all Android phones."

04/08/2010 12:35:50PM Agent (Michael S): "For Samsung moment too."

04/08/2010 12:36:27PM Mr. *****: "O.K. so the software update for all Sprint Android phones to 2.1 is next?"

04/08/2010 12:36:44PM Mr. *****: "next week?"

04/08/2010 12:36:49PM Agent (Michael S): "Yes,The New updated device will available with us by Next week."

04/08/2010 12:37:33PM Agent (Michael S): "Is there anything else I can assist you with today?"

04/08/2010 12:38:45PM Mr. *****: "See i'm still confused, because you keep saying device and not software. So I don't know what you mean. A new phone, or a software update release. Which is it?"

04/08/2010 12:39:40PM Agent (Michael S): "I am sorry, It is the Software which will be updated."

04/08/2010 12:40:09PM Mr. *****: "Ok. Thank you very much for the help. Have a good day."

04/08/2010 12:40:17PM Session Ended

Also, I just found this...http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/cellphone-pda/2623-samsung-moment-android-2-1-update

So like Ripley said, "Believe it, or not."

Journeyman

That is a leaked copy of 2.1 posted to XDA forums. Not the official release. http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/android-2-1-update-leaked-for-samsung-moment/

Journeyman

C'mon guys!

I see the Samsung Moment update has gone live on the www.sprint.com/downloads. Was that because the rom was leaked? Why can't you be nice and just post the offical Hero download there as well? We know it exists as brought to us by the Xda folks.

Journeyman

Re: C'mon guys!

All I see the Cl14 firmware update that's been around since February. Am I missing something?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat