cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me! My 5th Hero in 32 days...are you having the same problem?

Highlighted
Patron

Please Help Me! My 5th Hero in 32 days...are you having the same problem?

I am on my 5th hero in a month and I don't know what's wrong with it.  Tech support says they have no known issues of the same problem.  I never turn off my phone but sometimes when it gets sluggish...I reboot it.  Every single time I have turned it off the phone crashes.  I turn it back on and all the major applications of the phone force close.  Mainly, the actual phone app force closes and there is no service.  Then google force closes and then just a chain of the apps that came standard on the phone.  Then it never works again.  Hard resets don't work.  The techs at the store can't fix it and I end up just getting a new one.  They offered me a new phone but I love the phone except for this.  I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem and if they were able to fix it or know what I am doing wrong.

-Happens ONLY when I reboot the phone

-Force closes the phone and no more phone or internet service

-Force closes Google apps, NFL Mobile Live, and other apps already loaded on the phone

-No known fix

11 REPLIES 11
Master

Re: Please Help Me! My 5th Hero in 32 days...are you having the same problem?

I've never heard of that at all before.

It has happened on all 5 of your Heros? If so I would think the common link would be you. There must be something that you are doing at some point that is causing the issue to manifest. Are you using a task manager? What applications are you installing? Are you rooting the device? Installing custom ROMs?

Journeyman

It's probably because you have a lot of apps installed causing this problem. I always get this issue too when restarting my phone if I have a lot of apps installed. This something they need to solve soon, gets me pissed off when my phone restarts and I get no service because I have a lot of apps installed.

But yeah, go to Settings, Applications, and Manage Applications.

"This is the same issue I had. If you aren't rooted and running the Hero fully stock, after a certain number of Apps, the phone goes crazy after a soft-reset. Everything crashes, hence the pop-ups, and you have no service. Just uninstall the last few apps and soft reset again and everything should be back to normal.

I think the number of apps varies, I'm at about 97-98 apps and ran into this problem, but it seems to be only with some apps and not others. So it's all over the place, but if it happens, uninstall, soft reset and you are good to go."

Journeyman

actually this problem only occurs when almost all available memory on the phone (not the sd card) is used, so just go and clean out any unwanted apps and reset and you will be ok, think of it like your windows based computer to much crap on the harddrive the crappier it runs

Patron

Yes it has happened on all five of my heros.  So I think it has to be something I am doing.  Someone else said that it happens when all the memory is used up but I still have plenty of memory.  I have about 100 apps so my questions to your reply are:

What is the point of a task manager?

What does rooting the device mean?

And what are custom ROMs?

Lol...sorry I am not very proficient in the ways of these things.

I only download apps from the Market and don't allow outside downloads.  I downloaded the normal apps that people download.  Handcent, mobile banking, solitaire, recipe stuff, etc.  I have Lookout Security.

Thanks for your help!

Patron

My problem is that once this happens I can't do any of this stuff.  Everytime I try to do anything in the settings it wont let me.  And what is the difference between a hard and soft reset?

Thanks for your help!

Journeyman

i understand, press menu, then settings, then sd card and phone storage,  and where it says internal phone storage available space how many mb does it say

answers to your questions

task managers close programs close similar to task manager on windows dont use task managers they create more problems than they are worth because the force apps to close improperly and you could inadvertantly close something critical on the phone

rooting your phone is basically openning your phone for developement aka hacking your phone

custom roms are a custom version of the adroid operating system, some are very good while others are very problematic.  they are built by individual developers that expand on or modify the operation of the phone, there are some excellent ones out there but you do run the risk of bricking your phone (making it not work at all anymore) and requires rooting your phone, this does void any manufacturers warranty so try at your own risk

soft reset is simply pulling battery from the phone for approx a minute, while a hard reset is more detailed and restores the phone to factory settings aka you lose all data and apps on your phone, if you want to know how to do this let me know

Journeyman

I read somewhere that anything over 70 apps on a Hero can lead to erratic behavior.  On the phone, not you.

Patron

Lol...I guess I will have to find a different excuse for my behavior  However, isn't it kind of BS that we can get a phone with this cool app store but you can't download whatever you want?

Journeyman

I'm hardly an expert, but often simple deduction can solve a tech problem.  Since you've had this problem with so many phones and other users haven't had the problem at all, it must be something you are doing.  The odds of your being the only user to get five identically defective Heroes is nill.  While you have a point about wanting to download whatever you want, sometimes what you want can cause problems.  Memory on any device is finite, so if you want more apps than you have spacew for, you could end up with troubles.

Just my $.02.  Good luck.

Journeyman

nfogle82 wrote:

Lol...I guess I will have to find a different excuse for my behavior  However, isn't it kind of BS that we can get a phone with this cool app store but you can't download whatever you want?

You *can* download whatever you want.  But that certainly doesn't mean you can download indefinately.

Patron

Thanks everybody for the advice. I did something no one at sprint customer service or in-store could do...I fixed it. I deleted some apps and then did a soft reset and it works fine. I guess I will have to rein in my app downloading though.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat