cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Battery Life and Market Problems with 2.1 Update?

Journeyman

Poor Battery Life and Market Problems with 2.1 Update?

I've heard a lot of people saying that they have noticed improved battery life after installing the 2.1 update.  I am having the opposite issue.  Since the update yesterday, my battery is draining at an alarmingly fast rate.  I unplug my phone from the charger at 7am every morning and can usually get through until I plug it in again at around 2am.  Since the update, my battery is in the yellow by the time I get home from work at 3pm.  Any reasons/suggestions/solutions?  Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, starting this morning, all paid apps are missing from the Market.  The 'Paid Apps' tab is completely gone.  On top of that, I just tried checking it again and now the Market won't even load.  The header comes up but it just keeps saying 'loading' and nothing happens.  Any reasons/suggestions/solutions for that one?

Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Poor Battery Life and Market Problems with 2.1 Update?

I'm having the same problems not to mention the weather widget isn't updating properly....Waited for soo long and now this bs. Very frustrating!

Highlighted

Try powering off and removing the battery. That really should be part of the upgrade process documentation as I have seen a lot of users have had to do that (just makes good sense as well). Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After I read that suggestion, my battery hit the red line, so I did what was recommended and am now in the process of charging.  Once done, I'll note the time and what I do with the phone and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem.  At least with the battery.  I will try the suggestion.  By the way, why should I have to remove the battery to perform a firware (flash) update.  I am not sure how that is good practice.  If I had to take the thing apart then yes, but to dump data through a processor into flash and reboot?  The battery shouldn't be in the equation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, here's the latest...

Unplugged my fully charged phone at 8:37pm

- Received 20 texts (with pop-ups, I use Handcent)

- Sent 5 texts

- Clicked one link within a text message to view a pic on Tweetphoto

- Accessed the Market one time

- Restarted phone because Market access was slow

After that, I left my phone alone for a few minutes...happened to glance down at 9:21pm and the battery was now at 88%!!!

At this rate, my phone would be dead again in 6 hours time.  Seems like something is wrong here.

Anyone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Quick update:  In the 10 minutes it took me to get on the computer and type that last post, my phone (which I was nowhere near) lost another 2% of battery putting it at 86%.

This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exact same thing for me.  Checking th battery section under settings shows almost the exact same for awake time as up time.  Remindes me of last year when it first came out.  No idea what it keeping it awake. Some thing is though.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I, SPRINT!!!!, will find a fix and quick.  I need a phone that works longer then 6 hours.  Maybe I will have to root and go with a custom ROM anyway just to find a dev that knows what they are doing.  This is sad!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

10:21pm - phone has been untouched since last post and battery is now at 81%.  Lost 7% in an hour.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree.  This phone is more trouble than it is worth.

I bought the phone and signed up with Sprint based on 'promised' features of the phone and services.

Then I find I was charged overcharged $35.00 for activation, which was supposed to be $0 as part of a promotion with this phone.

Also, the sneaky $4.99 per month Spending Limit Program Charge (another $59.88 a year) added FOR WHAT!?  I have stellar credit and all bills require a cycle period to be paid. I have filed a complaint with both the FTC and FCC on this...you should too.  I am sure there is a class-action suit in the making here.  Its like charging $5.00 a month extra just because you breathe air.

PROMOTION was $99.00 for phone and $0 activation.  Walked out paying $160.00 then 1 week later got a first month bill for $167.00!!

Makes you really want to 're-look' METRO PCS, BOOST and the other 'Flat Rate' services that offer the same thing for $50.00 or less (except they don't have HTC Hero or EVO)

The battery life on this phone lasts me less than 12 hours and if I don't use the phone it falls into the yellow zone from full charge within 24 hours!

The fact that the whole world seems to be able to upgrade to Android 2.1 and now 2.2 EXCEPT FOR SPRINT HTC Hero customers!!!

I can't use half of the Google apps I bought the phone for because I am still on Android 1.5!!!!

ALSO, HAS ANYONE NOTICED YOU CANNOT READ EMAIL .PDF and .DOC ATTACHMENTS EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A PDF READER AND QUICK OFFICE PROGRAM INSTALL ON THE PHONE?!

I hope they will allow new customers to upgrade to the HTC EVO coming out on June 4th.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey DMasut,

I know what you mean about this phone...I've never had such a love/hate relationship with a phone.  I FINALLY get 2.1 after months of waiting and complaining, and it makes my battery so bad that I can't even enjoy it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Try letting it run dead and recharge. I remember after the 1.5 upgrade the battery calibration was reset.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat