Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly what our Heros will look like after recieving Android 2.1?

Patron

Possibly what our Heros will look like after recieving Android 2.1?

26 REPLIES 26
Journeyman

Doesn't look too bad.

I'm not sure how much I like the boxes around everything though.

Journeyman

I'm not too thrilled about the iphone-ish squares around everything either.

Journeyman

Make that 3 Nays for the iphone knock-off look.  Come on Google - iphone is good.  Strive to be better.

Journeyman

maybe on android 2.1 the messaging icon will have the little number icon next to it because I will actually be receiving the texts I get sent. oh snap, htc.

Wizard

Well, this answers my question to who made the IM app.  Clearly not Sprint if it shows up in this screen shot.  I can't wait to get this so I can root and get rid of all those terrible programs.  It really has me fired up, I have called HTC and Sprint like 20 times trying to get to the bottom of this, none of the reps seem to know anything.

If this isn't photoshop, I don't think it looks too bad, but it could very well be a photoshop or custom UI from someone.  At any rate, true or false, I don't like the iphone-ish bubbles of this custom UI (totally weak move), but I do like how the phone and people persist on the bottom bar through the program menu. The app tray should be a larger icon I have always thought, which it appears to be now.  The phone is a bit secondary compared to how many apps I usually use.  I hope that is a link to the people app directly on that bar as well, that would be convenient.  Never understood why they had an "add widgets/shortcuts" menu always accessible when long press gets it done (and you can just hit Menu and get the same options). That would free up some room on my main home screen for another icon or widget.  I am torn between the shades for apps and the new v2.1 Droid leak where they sort of fade in from never, never land.  I guess we will find out what HTC thinks in 1H 2010.

Journeyman

I agree about the iPhone-like squares...even Windows was a bit more creative - I know some people don't like the "honeycomb" start menu, but I think it looks great...

mmark - Why not root your Hero now? The only reason I rooted my device was to get rid of useless Sprint & HTC apps - no need to load a custom ROM. You will still be able to upgrade the device to Android 2.1 when the time comes.

It's not like Sprint can tell that you rooted the device (unless you actually take it to a Sprint repair center and have them apply the 2.1 update).

We already know that Sprint will not be pushing out these updates OTA. If you are savvy enough to feel comfortable rooting your device, then you will probably end up applying the 2.1 update yourself - so no need to wait

Wizard

wafowler4 wrote:

mmark - Why not root your Hero now? The only reason I rooted my device was to get rid of useless Sprint & HTC apps - no need to load a custom ROM. You will still be able to upgrade the device to Android 2.1 when the time comes.

It's not like Sprint can tell that you rooted the device (unless you actually take it to a Sprint repair center and have them apply the 2.1 update).

We already know that Sprint will not be pushing out these updates OTA. If you are savvy enough to feel comfortable rooting your device, then you will probably end up applying the 2.1 update yourself - so no need to wait

A) I am a big wimp. AND more importantly B and C.

B) I think that Sprint/HTC should have a legit option for removing applications.

C) I think that Sprint/HTC should be allow us to report directly to the developers for these applications like all 16,000 other applications in the market.

I would rather have accountability for all Hero users not just those that are savvy enough to root.  Which I am capable of and I have walked through the steps thanks to detailed forums, I just haven't touched anything.

[In all honesty, I was having some data recquisitioning problems with my account when my wife switched to her Pre, it took 7-8 hours total Sprint CSR hours through many calls to get that back working, which just happened about 2 weeks ago.  Therefore, I want to wait it out a bit to make sure that she is sticking with the Pre and that my account will continue to work properly.]

Message was edited by: mmark27

Journeyman

Ehhh, I have mixed feelings. I love what they've done to the bar at the bottom. Part of me likes the boxes around the icons. Hate how everything has to be compared to the iPhone though.

Journeyman

The more I see this the more I think it is just some kind of skin or something.

Even though the icons have the clear box around them, they are still 1.x icons and not 2.x, so is the wallpaper. Also the lock screen shows that you slide down and in 2.x you slide right to answer or unlock and left to silence.

Of course Sense UI could change all of those things but I'd think that HTC would just update and "prettify" 2.x rather than change some standard functions like the lock screen especially.

Journeyman

I believe those icons (and wallpaper) were made for HTC Sense, so basically they're HTC's icons. I loaded up 2.1 on my Hero and the icons didn't change. All you have to do is remove the HtcLockScreen.apk from system/app and you'll see the normal 2.1 lockscreen. Do the same on 1.5 and you'll see the other stock android lock screen.

Wizard

I am sure that you have all seen this by now, but here is that Espresso UI on a Euro-hero phone in action....

I just think the boxes are ridiculously ugly and obtrusive.  I like being able to see the picture behind my icons on my home screens.  I do hope that this is not what Sense UI will be like for our Heroes.  If this is the case, I will be forced to dump the Sense .apk after I root.  Again, this is just a rumor that this will be the Sense UI for the Hero.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat