cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProTip: Link Facebook Contacts to the Hero by HTC

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

ProTip: Link Facebook Contacts to the Hero by HTC

While the Hero doesn't automagically slurp contacts from Facebook like the Palm Pre, it does allow you to link your existing Exchange, Google or local contacts to Facebook or Flickr.

How do you do it?

View a contact, chose Menu - Edit

Hide the keyboard

Scroll down to the 'Social Network' section

Tap facebook to link to a Facebook contact; or Flickr to link to a Flickr friend.

Search for them in the list that pops up.

Choose to link photo and / or birthday information

ProTip from Thor Rudebeck -- to link all your contacts with their Facebook profiles, go to Updates, wait a sec, then tap the ' Link Profiles' at the top of the updates screen!

Why would you do this?

1) it keeps the photo updated with their profile photo

2) You can see notifications in the 'People' app  when updates happen in Facebook or Flickr.

Anyone have more tips for integrating your social network contacts with the Hero?

Message was edited by: wengla02  Added Thor's tip!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
9 REPLIES 9

Re: ProTip: Link Facebook Contacts to the Hero by HTC

I schlepped through the whole process of linking 80+ contacts to Facebook, and then accidentally flipped over to the "Updates" screen from the main People one, and saw "Link 11 profiles"... You can actually do them all at once that way.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Holy cow - look at that!  It *does* automatically match up FB and local / google / exchange contacts.  Sweet.  Updating main post.

Thanks!

(still doesn't have a way to import from FB that I've found.)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

It would be nice if it let you merge/save the information and picture it syncs. I've been using Google Contacts ever since they let you sync with Exchange ActiveSync on WinMo.. It'd be nice to import the birthdays and such.

Journeyman

Is there any way to get it to keep the photo for the person? Every few days it seems my phone logs out of facebook...which means all the pictures by people's names disappear. I like the idea of being able to glance at my phone and see who is calling by a picture. But half the time people call me, all I get is the green android logo.

Patron

vphokie wrote:

Is there any way to get it to keep the photo for the person? Every few days it seems my phone logs out of facebook...which means all the pictures by people's names disappear. I like the idea of being able to glance at my phone and see who is calling by a picture. But half the time people call me, all I get is the green android logo.

That's weird, my Hero never logs me out of facebook like that.

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem. My facebook rarely even stays logged in now. Sometimes when I log in it says the service is unavailabe.

Journeyman

Although this is great advice (Thanks!), what I noticed when first linking them one by one is that it didnt always know which account to link to, so you might have to do some individual linking in addition to the "mass link".

Wizard

Head up on the en mass linking of Facebook photos......

If you have google contact photos for people that you prefer and you link all the Facebook photos en mass (not one by one), then you can no longer go back to the google contact photo for that person.  If you add them one by one, you have the choice of using the photo and birthday for each one.  Learned that one the hard way.

Wizard

chompy wrote:

Although this is great advice (Thanks!), what I noticed when first linking them one by one is that it didnt always know which account to link to, so you might have to do some individual linking in addition to the "mass link".

you can always "unlink" the facebook account for that contact.  Just hit menu when in the facebook tab for that contact, it give you the option.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat