cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the Hero???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem with the Hero???

Just wanted to report a potential issue with the Hero.  Me and a few friends have experienced an issue where if you:

1) install an application
2) update it or uninstall and reinstall
3) reboot your phone

then on many applications, the launcher icon will be messed up as well as the name of the application under the icon.  In many of these cases, this renders the application unusable including Google Sky and Pandora.  If you then uninstall these applications and reinstall them they will work fine until you reboot your phone again.

The problem doesn't seem to exist if you install the application the first time.  Only does it exist if you update it and reboot or if you uninstall/reinstall and reboot.

There is a fairly lengthy thread on the Android Developers mailing list regarding this.  Google seems to think it is unique to the Hero itself since a stock Android device (ie: G1) doesn't have this problem. Other developers are experiencing the same thing.

Android Developer thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/3b7aced444a47425

Several of us have contacted HTC and have received no recognition of the problem nor any responses.

Mostly contacting you in order to see if there are any other users out there that are experiencing the same problem.

If this is a problem and there isn't any immediate fix in the pipeline I'm really inclined to return my Hero within the 30 day time limit and try out the new Samsung Android phone that's coming out.

Tags (4)
24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

Re: Problem with the Hero???

Yep. I got it. This is a nasty one. I feel like a Sidekick owner. Don't turn off your phone!

Okay, possible work around.

I was having this problem with Handcent so I tested it with this, I'll try it with some other things to see if it works.

I installed AppManager from the market and used it to back up Handcent while it was working. Rebooted and installed the backed up version over the broken one and it worked. It even saved user settings. I'm going to try it with the other apps that broke like Where and Google Sky Map.

Okay, backing up and restoring apps from SD works. It's annoying, AppManager free doesn't support batch installs, but there are apps on the market that do.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Patron

Mine does this as well. To be more specific, the ones that do it (for me) are these apps:

- Ustream

- Task Manager

- Movies

- Where

- And there's a couple more I'm missing.

This has to get fixed, come on. I can't keep reinstalling apps everytime my phone runs out of power.

Journeyman

Same thing happened to me (with Google Sky Map)! Luckily I have been using Astro for backing all apps up to my SD card.

Also had a strange issue where I updated a bunch of apps from the Market then backed them up. I looked again at my phone today and all the old ones were installed (with the newest ones on the backup.) BTW, I thought the Market was suppose to automatically inform you of updates to your apps? I keep having to look at my downloaded apps to see which ones have updates.

Journeyman

i was thinking it was coming from the updated app being that the creators are upgrading the apps to work on 1.6 and now 2.0 and were stuck on a modded version of 1.5 just my .2 cents

Journeyman

702DROID wrote:

i was thinking it was coming from the updated app being that the creators are upgrading the apps to work on 1.6 and now 2.0 and were stuck on a modded version of 1.5 just my .2 cents

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Journeyman

Nope.  This has happened on some of my applications that I'm developing for the under the 1.5 sdk as well as some friends.

Journeyman

Another "me too" post.  Having this issue with both the Google Voice App (still functions, just funky name after reboot) and Google Sky Maps (no longer functions after a reboot, app quits on a EULA-type screen).

Have attempted all sorts of installs/uninstalls/reboots without any success before finding this post.  Thanks for bringing this up...glad I'm not alone!

Journeyman

This sucks. The backing up and restoring doesn't work with SMS Popup. It seems to keep reverting back to an older version.

Wizard

Re: Problem with the Hero??? BUG - 3rd party applications failing after phone reboot

This appears to be a Hero specific problem, but everyone needs to contact the developers of the specific 3rd party application when you run into a problem like this.  I have been emailing the developers about the reboot problems with their apps and this allows them to track down the bug.  It isn't every application, so clearly there is some coding that could be worded differently.  The google sky map developers were very responsive and were trying to track down the bug (as were Movies by Flixster).  Contacting Sprint and HTC won't really get us anywhere, since they will claim they have no responsibility for 3rd party applications.  The google developers believe that this will all be resolved once HTC Sense gets the 2.0 update but are still working on a resolution in the meantime.

Also, if you want to report things as bugs or have anyone at Sprint see the threads, check out this blog.  Try to make the titles more descriptive of the problem at hand.

Journeyman

Just wondering is this happening just on phones that have "with Google" on the back, the HTC backs or both?

I'm having the same issue with Where, Handcent, and Movies. Handcent seems to function normally, but Where and Movies crash out when I try to do a location aware activity like finding a theater near me, otherwise they seem to function normally too. But the icons for all 3 of these have changed.

Edit: I have the "with Google" back and no Rev. 0 bug.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

Journeyman

The "with Google" and HTC phones are all the same phone.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat