cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems downloading messages

Highlighted
Patron

Problems downloading messages

I've had more and more messages come in with problems. I get a notification of a new message, and when I try to open it, all it shows is the sender, file size and "downloading." Then it reverts to an actual "download" button and hitting that repeats the cycle. Before this, any problem would give me an actual prompt saying to try again, but if I did, I would get another text message stating that that attempt at download failed...again vicious cycle. Anyone know if this is an isolated (me), the phone (HERO), carrier (Sprint) or sender (other) issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Problems downloading messages

I too am experiencing the exact same problem. The stock app will sometimes download it; sometimes it takes a day to show up. Handcent has a real hard time downloading pics also.

Journeyman

Three things you can try. I'll list in order from least evasive to most, so try one at a time in order. These should fix most of your issues, but know that there still are some mms isues with the hero that have not been resolved, as far as I know (mostly involving video msgs). O.k. first try a profile update.Tap menue/settings/about phone/system update/update profile. Let it run. If it says "update complete and is now being applied" that may have been your issue. Try it and see if that fixed it. Second you can "refresh you signal". This is basically re-activating your phone. I have codes for this but as I'm not sure if they are the same for every sprint hero it's probably best for you to have sprint walk you through it. Another term for this is to run the hands free activation on your phone in case you get a someone who's not so sharp and doesnt know what youre reffering to. After that run profile update and try again. Last resort, "Hard reset" or "factory wipe". Different terms for the same action. This is going to return your phone to the exact state it was in out of the box. No contacts, no scenes, the only thing you'll have left is whats on your sd card so make sure to back everything up that you don't want to lose. Then go to menu/settings/security/factory data reset. After thats done update profile and try again. If none of that works you have other issues. I had the exact same proplem with mms when I first got my hero and had to fix it more than once using all three of these methods at one time or another. One thing I can tell you is that it's not Handcent. Most people report (including myself) that Handcent handles mms much better than the stock app. Hope that helps.

Journeyman

Just an FYI... mms for some reason will not download if you are connected to WIFI at the time... if that is the case, disconnect from the WIFI and try downloading, then connect again when you are done...  if this is happening when you are not connected to WIFI, then I don't know what's happening...  Hope this helps

Journeyman

Thanks Archway. I never use wifi so I always forget to throw that out there as a possibility...

Patron

thanks for your suggestions, but i'm still not having any luck. I heard about the wi-fi/mms issue before, but it will do it to me while on EVDO. It's really annoying when you can see the message subject in the status bar and in the message details, but can't download the actual content. I don't want to wipe the phone and start over because I got this phone thinking I wouldnt have issues like I did with the Instinct. Oh well. I had no voicemail notifications for a bit too, but was able to fix that with the help of the forum. Let's see if a fix pops up soon...

Journeyman

Quick update on this. Whatever the problem is with this, it's a reoccuring issue. Ive gotten to the point where I've had to re-activate my phone (##3282#) every little while to keep mms working. It will work as it should for awhile then just stop. I've talked to two different "advanced" tech support guys on two separate occasions who pretty much gave up. Get this.... after being on the phone for more than an hour with both, they both said basicaly the same thing. That the problem was going to take awhile for them to figure out and they would call me back later that day when they had a sollution. Never heard from either one of them again. Not that I expected to, but still.... Is that something sprint teaches it's techs to get out of situations when they don't have an answer? I don't know. Anyway, I'm going to watch a little closer to see if I can figure out if it's a specific action thats causing me to lose mms again once it's been restored. Right now nobody seems to have a clue....

Patron

Tell me about it.. I did the reactivation ##3282#  with the sprint rep, updated everything and the only conclusion was to contact advanced tech support. What's really frustrating is that right after that I got 3 more messages yesterday that I couldn't view/download. I still can't believe all these "smartphones" can't do some of things a more inexpensive phone do. I remember hating the fact that my old Instinct couldn't display an animated GIF file, and now I'm not sure whether I'm any better off. Remind me why I pay for this...? :\

Journeyman

Why, it's the cutting edge technology of course! As frustrating as it is! Thats what sucks! If I didn't like everything else about the phone so much it would be a lot easier to just take it back and try something else, in stead of putting in all the time trying to figure this out! Speaking of which... I was reading where people were figuring that task managers were causing a lot of the unsolved issues with the Hero So I figured as I have tried everything else, what the hell.... might as well, right? So I uninstalled task killer,and did a hard reset, and reinstalled Handcent. At first it was the same story. Msg download unsuccessful.That was when using Handcent. Then I noticed that if I used the stock app before trying with Handcent I could access the picture msg. Hmmm.... problem with Handcent? Maybe, but for sure not the only issue. I've read were people who never used Handcent were having the same problems. The only other problem was I couldn't send with the stock app without cropping the pic (msg size exceeded). So I could recieve with stock and send with Handcent. O.k. kinda stupid, but at least functional. But..... after all of 1 day without a task killer my phone went to crap! Started getting force closes and lag like crazy! Took 15 min just to go to the market and redownload advanced task killer! I don't get how it is with this phone that people are having such diverse experiences. Use a task killer, dont use a task killer. It's seemingly working both ways as well as not, right? Some have email issues or 100% awake issues, others dont ever experience either. And this picture mail problem, obviously there are people out there that dont have it either, and people like us who can't get it to work no matter what we try! I dont get it! It's like there's 10 different vesions of the Hero going around out there......

Message was edited by: cdhern

Patron

I found something interesting, maybe another piece of the puzzle... I signed on to Sprint's PictureMail website and saw all my old pics that I sent with my old Instinct under the Albums tab. Under the Messages tab, I found page after page of all my "missing" MMS messages that my HERO couldn't download to my phone! Can Will or Sarah pleeease figure out what we need to do to get these on our phones?! Maybe reset/delete our picture mail accounts? I feel like I'm so close yet so far. And with all the holidays, it's really bad timing.. I know I'm going to get a flood of messages, which if I want to view, I'll have to jump through hoops online to retrieve, and Support will be at a mininum.. :\

Patron

UPDATE: After spending a good solid hour with advanced tech support, losing my data connection completely, restoring it, and multiple reboots... I was able to receive the sample pic sent to me by the tech! YAY. But that was short lived... 5 minutes later or so I asked my friend, a fellow Sprint customer, to send me a pic as well... As you can guess, that did not come thru, nor any other picture mail/messages thereafter. Again, looking for help/answers from Sprint/HTC or anyone tech savvy... thx...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat