cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: HTC Sync and logger.exe connection?

Journeyman

Q: HTC Sync and logger.exe connection?

I happened to be looking at my running windows processes today and noticed a "logger.exe" process running. I was thinking I had picked up a keylogger virus, but I've been running Norton and Malwarebytes for months and even did a full scan and nothing. Digging more deeply I found some files being logged under a Teleca Shared folder with Generic.exe and Logger.exe processes running (e.g., C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teleca Shared\Generic.exe) and in the user Application Data folder. I had no idea where they came from or how they got there, but tracing back to their creation date it appears they showed up during my installation of the HTC Sync software a couple weeks ago when I got my Hero and have been running in the background since.

I've done some googling, but aside from people reporting being mystified by getting errors with the processes, no one seems to know where they came from. But most of the places where I've seen people post their logfiles, they also have HTC Sync installed.

Anyone else with HTC Sync installed seeing this behavior? Anyone know what these processes are doing?

If you do a search of your installation drive (including system and hidden files and folders) for Teleca and/or logger you should see it. I've seen the same behavior and folders on both a desktop and a laptop, both created at the same time I did the HTC Sync installation. I uninstalled HTC Sync and killed the processes and they seem to have gone away, though they leave behind folders and log files. Some of the log files have "HTC" in the name and/or refer to HTC drivers inside the file, so there seems to be some connection.

I'm hoping it's all innocuous and it's just some HTC process waiting to see if you connect your phone, but they were still running even when I force closed HTC Sync. Of course, I've seen other software not really close when you tell it too also, and stuff left hanging around even after uninstalling software, so that wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing whether others see the same thing and have any ideas what might be going on. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Q: HTC Sync and logger.exe connection?

Dont worry, these processes are perfectly safe and are part of the HTC Sync install. In addition to logger.exe... capabilitymanager.exe, generic.exe, and fsyncserver.exe will run in the background on your pc.

Journeyman

hmm - perfectly safe?  lol...  yeah, i had these processes sitting around and approached them much like the OP did...  they are/were related to htc-sync and it seems that they are pretty benign, altho logger.exe is truly a disturbing filename to come across and telestra is a company id never heard of before...  afaict, these programs (and their processes) are fine - altho, interestingly, i removed them completely and turned off the htc-sync-when-windows-starts option and have not noticed them hanging-around since...  since this phone does most of its syncing via internet direct-to-google, then i have not found a need to keep the htc-sync running like i did with palm-sync for my treo on the pc...  mounting the sdcard as a drive happens automagically, regardless of the htc-sync software - i think...  have fun, h.

Journeyman

That is a huge pet peeve of mine with windows developers.  Why does every flea-bitten software/hardware company think everyone wan'ts their applicaion running in the background all the time?  Printer monitors, printer supply monitors, quick time launchers, messengers, updaters. auto-sync, adobe "speed launchers", the list goes on and on and on...  Every single one of these applications takes up more and more memory and CPU cycles on the average windows box, making the system slower and slower and slower.  I see all this crap-ware on so many customer's computers all the time, causing overall slowness, sometimes almost to the point of being unusable.

Companies need to start designing their software so that someone with an IQ above 50 can just click on an icon when they plug a device in and they want to sync, instead of treating eveyone like a complete idiot who want's their butt auto-wiped for them every step of the way.  If we wanted to be treated as imbiciles who want our lives micro-managed, we'd buy Apple products.

It's just one of the MANY reasons I don't/won't use windows.

Journeyman

Thanks for the responses. I think I agree with everyone - it does seem these are part of HTC Sync and thus are *probably* not hurting anything, and IMHO it is quite a *very bad* decision on HTC's part to have these processes named things (like Generic.exe and especially logger.exe) that are almost synonymous with "you have a severe computer virus!" and it annoys the heck out of me as well to have multiple processes running all the time that really have no business running at all. I'm really not clear why the HTC software "needs" to be logging every program I run either as part of waiting around on the off chance I plug in my phone. Is it bored? What's it planning to do with the information? Is it sent back to them for some reason, and if so, why? I'm sure there must be some disclaimer in the installation agreement, but there sure wasn't anything obvious that I saw, and I haven't been able to find any clear documentation for those processes. I suppose I could send an email to HTC and ask them directly.

I think I can live without the HTC Sync software.

Journeyman

BUT

I got here by searching logger.exe on the web. It could be a microsoft program, or the spyware keylogger, or htc's

For those of us not real computure savy, how do we decide which piece of logger we have.

Yes we have HTC hero, wife has installed sync, but with all the kids here, theres always something sneaking past the safety software. (mostly because the kids disable things to play games online faster- nobody admits to this either)

Journeyman

I also noticed logger.exe in my Task Manager processes, and I thought it was malware but I also do a thorough job of protecting my pc.  I also have HTC Sync. Thanks for the heads up, I was going batty over the source of this process.

Journeyman

I 100% agree with this poster.

I had zero problems with my computer until I installed HTC sync for my Evo 4g.

I logged into world of warcraft and got banned for having a keylogger.

I searched into it, come to find out the program in my system running was Logger.exe from HTC

I downloaded an additional virus protection and it found 3 virus on my computer.

They were all in the teleca shared folder.

Its way too coincidental that teleca would use all the same file names as a hack. Logger.exe generic.exe hooks and appstarts..

Journeyman

I have HTC Evo Sync software and was going bonkers like everyone else. Huge thanks for taking the time to research and post. I can't imagine what disecting I would have done if you hadn't pioneered the way since there isn't much out there on these processes. And, I am in complete agreement with everyone: horrible names, HTC/Google/ETC. should let us know what the heck they are doing on our computers, and who needs this crap running anyway. all this for some contacts and emails? i could have done this on my 2003 treo. Show me call logs, sms messaging on my computer and ways to do batch operations, customizations, etc. etc. if you're going to load so much garbage on my pc.

Journeyman

ya, I just got a HTC evo and noticed the logger.exe and several other alarming names in my process, this is complete bs... think I may have to uninstall, there's no way I can use my laptop and have that running in the background..

Journeyman

ok... so i got a reply from htc, didnt get me anywhere but here it is:

Dear D***,

I understand the importance of knowing what programs and processes are running on your PC. There are two main processes that run when using HTC Sync, logger.exe and generic.exe. I do not know why these names were chosen during the development of the HTC Sync software. The Logger runs a check of HTC Sync and the 5 communications ports needed to synchronize and logs then into a text file on the PC.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number **********.

Sincerely,

Jeffery

HTC

Journeyman

yeah I just removed my HTC sync program, I do not like the logger.exe program on my computer...how the heck would I know if the real virus one tookover?

I protect my PC very well with quality programs like Norton 360 but I still need to know what every process is on my computer..

To be honest I do not trust Google so much either with my Android software but it is what it is

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat