cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

Highlighted
Journeyman

Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

When I turn off my screen, I usually can get back  to it in the usual way (pressing the End button), Sometimes, especially after several hours in an idle state, turning the screen back on causes the phone to reboot. I don't know whether the phone  powers itself off during the idle period and pressing the button just  starts it up, or whether the phone remains in standby, but pressing the  button causes an unnecessary reboot. The former is far worse than the latter, since  the former implies that the phone turns off at random, making it a  useless and unreliable instrument. There is no notification  that either event has occurred, nor do I get the choice screen (which includes Power Off) when I turn off the screen.

This problem, which I never experienced  with my HTC Hero before the upgrade, needs to be resolved quickly!!!

5/24: Here is a little more information I have gathered.

1. The length of time the screen is off apparently has nothing to do with the problem. I just locked the screen then remembered something else I had to check. Clicking the End Button within 5 seconds of the screen lock caused a reboot.

2. Connecting the charger to or disconnecting it from the phone can also, by itself, cause a reboot.

3. Reactivating the screen after a timed-out (as opposed to forced) screen lock sometimes causes a reboot.

The problem actually seems to be the phone turns itself off whenever it feels like it. This morning, I did a screen activation (End buton) and observed a reboot. There were two calls and an email that I had missed. Since I received no notification of any of these while the screen was locked (and the phone was sitting about 2 feet away on my desk, set to maximum ring/notification volume), I assume that the phone was in an off state rather than a simple screen locked state (unfortunately, you can't tell them apart). The battery is good and fully charged. The problem is as likely to occur when AC power is supplied or when running on battery power. The only way I can use this phone now is to turn the screen brightness all the way down, set the timeout interval to never lock the screen, and hope the battery makes it through the day.

Had this issue been a "feature" of HTC Hero from the beginning, I guarantee not a single one would have been sold.

--- 5/24 @ 7:00 PM ---------------

Out of of desperation, I decided to try the recommendation in the fifth post in this discussion, i.e., backup all my data, hard reset the phone (complete erasure of apps and data), then reload the apps and data. I finished this about an hour ago and will let everybody know what happens. If it (appears) to solve the problem, I'll be back in a few days to report this. If it doesn't, I'll probably be back sooner. Here's hoping.

-- 5/26 @ 1:30 PM ---------------

The hard reset didn't fix my problem. I had two unexpected shutdown/reboot events in the 12 hours after reinstalling everything. To help tell if the phone powered itself off, I went to the Market and downloaded a free app called Grandfather Clock. I now get volume-controllable Westminster chimes every quarter hour and the hourly strikes. Since installing this app (which is a pretty neat app), I have not had any unexpected shudowns or reboots. My phone has been up for over 26 hours now, a new record since installing 2.1. The app has a fairly small footprint (900K) and uses no discernible battery power, so if you have having the same problem, try downloading and installing this app (set the chime volume to 0 if you don't want the chimes), and let me know whether that works for you.

Message was edited by: ridgecat

40 REPLIES 40
Journeyman

Re: Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

I updated my HTC Hero from 1.5 to 2.1 and I'm having the same problem.  I tried to reinstall 2.1, but it didn't fix the problem.  Did you find a solution?

Journeyman

I also "upgraded" today from 1.5 to 2.1 and have this same problem.  Has anyone found a solution?

Journeyman

I am having the same issue as well.  This needs to be fixed right away.  What if there is an emergency like you get in a car accident or witness someone being hurt and when you go to unlock your phone it reboots and takes a few minutes to come back up..... not acceptable.

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue today after upgrading this morning.  It is happening quite often (almost every time it goes to sleep).  Called Sprint and they walked me through resetting the phone.  No good.  Did all OTA updates (none available).  Now they are sending me a new phone.

So frustrating!

Journeyman

Hey guys,

I used to have this problem as well, after doing this (be sure to follow the instructions carefully and exactly) the problem has been resolved and I haven't had the issue since. I'll keep everyone posted if I come up with any problems or anything, but if you're willing to try again, try doing the above (click on the 'this' link above) and let me know if it helps out or not. GL guys and hope that your problems with the Hero get solved soon!!! It's very frustrating, I know.

-Androidious

Journeyman

I too am having this problem!!!  I spent literally all day yesterday with Sprint trying to get this issue resolved (in-store, online chat, customer service call) and they told me that they have no record of anyone else having these types of issues.  I am very glad I found this thread so I know that I'm not alone.  They will be sending me out a replacement device today, and I am hoping that resolves the issue, but we'll see.  I have done factory data resets and new installs of the 2.1 RUU numerous times.  The ROM seems stable for about 1 hour, but then after that it gets glitchy and starts with the reboots.  Very frustrating.  I'm just glad Sprint stepped up to the plate and is taking care of this for me.  Attached is my chat log with the Sprint rep yesterday.

Edit:  The chat log had some personal info in it, so I pulled it.  If you want to see it, let me know.

Message was edited by: dctex777

Journeyman

I would love to see the chat log, as would, I am sure, others who have the same problem. If my issue continues (I've had only one unexpected reboot since hard resetting the phone), I may opt for a phone replacement as well and your experience, as reflected in the chat log, may help.

Journeyman

I will run thru and edit it really quick then.  Will post it after.

Edit.  Posted chat log.

Journeyman

See 10:33:04

"There is no such known issue"

I guess that will change soon, hopefully.

Also - I never actually asked for or even wanted a new phone.  I was talking with the "advanced technical support" guy asking some questions about the latest RUU and the ability to return from the 2.1 to the 1.5 ROM when he transferred me to someone who said they would ship me out a new phone.  He gave me a ticket number and that was it.  Totally unexpected.  I am not upset with Sprint as a whole because I feel like they are doing the right thing as far as customer service goes, but this is obviously a very frustrating problem to have.

Journeyman

Thanks for the chat transcript. I guess the techs never look at what the community is saying, so they remain blissfully ignorant. Of course, without this forum we would have no idea of what problems other users are having and reporting to tech support. It would be interesting if Sprint would publish the tickets.

To find out whether the problem is an unexexpected shut-down or a superfluous reboot when the screen is reactivated, I went to the Market and downloaded a free app called Grandfather Clock, which does what you might suspect: chime on the hour (and at 15-minute intervals if you wish), and the volume is controllable and mutable during your sleep time. Since I installed it this morning, my phone has been working as it should, but we'll see. The hard reset didn't work since I had two instances of failure after a total of about 12 hours -- better, but not good enough.

Journeyman

Have fun with you Android phones with Windows syndrome.  I will keep on enjoying my iPhone.

Message was edited by: brian461oia

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat