cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

Journeyman

Re: Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

I brought mine in to a Service Center. First they replaced the battery and did a Hard Reset on the phone. Then I went home and the problem happened again. The next day I brought it back and they ordered a replacement.

Since replacing it, I have had no issues.

Journeyman

I took mine into the Sprint repair center yesterday and they tried reinstalling the update - it didn't work.  I also have the dust under the screen issue with my Hero, so for both reasons, they ordered me a replacement and it should be in my hands in 2-3 days they said.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received my replacement phone yesterday.  I charged it fully and then performed the upgrade first thing.  I have not had the rebooting issue once since I powered up about 12 hours ago.  It is looking like this unit does not have the same problem.

During the reinstall and setup I noticed that it went very smooth this time.  On my original phone it basically froze when I was going through the Flickr account setup.  I think I had to pull the battery to reboot, so I'm wondering if there is any relationship there.

Anyway, I hope everyone else has success resolving their issue as well.

Journeyman

For an update on the status of my experiments with this problem, please see the originating post of this thread.

Journeyman

I'm glad to hear/see that you're random rebooting experience is over with thus far! It's so frustrating!

I must say though, I am finding it hard to believe that this program/app that you installed is what saved your phone from the reboot/reset anomaly.

But, whatever did the trick for you, I'm really happy that it's working!!! Way to go yo!

Journeyman

I am far from an expert on the innards of this phone, although I did have a 40-year career as a systems software developer. The reason the app works (IMHO) is that it puts a Partial-Wait Lock on itself when it starts. This forces it to run all the time, but it isn't doing much: just waiting for the next time to chime. If this is done correctly (i.e., asynchronously), it will consume virtually no CPU cycles most of the time, but it will prevent the phone from turning off unless directed to do so by the user. To illustrate, the app has used about 57 seconds of CPU time in the last 30 hours or so, about 0.05% of the available cycles. It doesn't seem to use any between chime periods, so I suppose this represents the effort to create and play the chimes and hourly strikes.

THIS IS JUST A WORK-AROUND, IT IS NOT A FIX!!! There may be a firmware issue, in which case an MR issued by Android/HTC/Sprint will be needed. Or it could be an incompatibility between the new firmware and an older hardware rev level (after all, my phone is about 6 months old) which could be fixed by an MR or a new phone. I'm leaning toward the former because the randomness of this issue suggests to me that an uninitialized variable might be to blame. In any case, I can live with this solution for now.

Journeyman

if you turn the GPS off this fixes the issue

Journeyman

turn the gps off

Journeyman

I would recommend to anyone having problems to redo the update, then ise it for a while with no added programs and see if you are having the same issues.  If problems go away, then add your programs back ONE AT A TIME and use the phone for a few hours and see how it is. IF no problems the load ONE more program etc until you find the one or ones causing your particular issue.  Then try to reconfigure the offending program to work with your phone better. If it still causes problems get rid of it, and contact the author.

Loading a new operating system, and then dumping several programs into it by restoring backups is asking for trouble. those programs were configured for 1.5 not 2.1

Start bare and work your way up to more apps by reinstalling them from the market.

Journeyman

I went to Sprint and they did a hard reset and reinstalled the update. No need to say that it did not work. I took my cell phone back to Sprint a couple of hours later and they gave me a replacement. Now everything is just the way it should be. Back to loving my phone.

Journeyman

This is beginning to become a well-documented issue.  It has nothing to do with the GPS being on or off, installed applications, or any other random thing you can think of.  I know because I have tried them all.

Got my replacement phone from Sprint yesterday.  It was quite obviously a refurb, because when I opened it to install the battery, there was a pretty good amount of dirt/dust around the lip of the casing and in some of the crevices (documented with pictures).  I wasn't too happy to see that, but if the phone worked I would have been okay with it.  Sadly, the earpiece on the phone sounds like it has a blown speaker.  I took it into a Sprint repair center, the tech listened to it for about 5 seconds and agreed with me.  They are now sending me ANOTHER phone which should be in today or tomorrow.  Hopefully this one is in better condition than the first.  I haven't even bothered to try installing the 2.1 ROM on this one.

Patron

I upgraded to 2.1 yesterday and I have the same issue. It rebooted several times since yesterday.

I have yet to find the pattern. I think it is rebooting every other time I unlock it. Also happening when I hang up a call. It is really frustrating. I waited all these months for an update and now I wish I hadn't upgrade to 2.1 .  I am going to go to a  Sprint store at lunch.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat