cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

Journeyman

Re: Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

FYI - Make sure you go to a Sprint Store that have a Service Center. Most of their locations are just sales hubs, and can't actually service your phone or provide replacements. I had to go through that hassle.

Call ahead if your not sure.

Patron

Thanks for the tip.

This is crazy now, I am ready to go to Sprint store to show them the issue and now my phone doesn't do what it did all night last night and this morning. I was not able to duplicate the issue in last hour or so. If I go to Sprint store now I am pretty sure they think I am crazy. I hate these intermittent problems.

Journeyman

The reboot as you hang up on a call was especially annoying.  It actually disconnected on a call (to Sprint) in order to reboot which just added more fuel to the fire.

In other news, I just installed the 2.1 software on Hero #2 (replacement #1 that has a bad earpiece) as an experiment since I will be getting another one from them today or most likely tomorrow.  In my experience, the RUU is generally stable for around 1 hour before it starts rebooting randomly.  I will let you all know how it goes.

Message was edited by: dctex777

Journeyman

Print this thread, and I'm sure they will listen to you.

I didn't have to reproduce the issue, they simply took my word for it. I'm sure it's a pretty well known issue at their locations already.

Journeyman

Just to update everyone...my replacement Hero has not rebooted once since I received it, upgraded, and reloaded software.

It really appears that replacing the phone is the solution.  Something is getting corrupted during upgrades that doesn't seem repairable.  Just my two cents.

Journeyman

I agree. There have been a lot of irrelevancies introduced here. At this point, I am convinced that the update image itself is flawed. A lot of people got new phones, but were not helped. Others seemed to get it fixed on the first replacement. I wonder if the latter group is getting phones with the 2,1 release already installed at the point of manufacture, or the people updating are using a different image than the one we peasants download from the net. I've always been a big fan of posting SHA1 (or at the very least, MD5) checksums for critical downloads so we can verify them once they are received.

Anyway, I redownloaded the executable installer and reinstalled the update, did a hard reset afterward, and am now waiting to see what happens. I haven't installed any of my apps nor have I setup my Google mail accounts. If the platform remains stable, I'll do that later. The Grandfather Clock app work-around was effective simply because that app runs under a self-imposed PartialWait lock, which prevents the phone from ever sleeping. It does chew up battery life, however, because the awake time and up time are always the same. Normally, the awake time is a small fraction of the up time, so the phone spends most of its life snoozing, waiting for some external event to occur.

Next step after that is a phone replacement. I hate to do that if they are handing out refurbs. I take good care of my stuff, and I'm not interested in trading with somebody who doesn't!

Journeyman

Ridgecat,

The replacement phone I received from Sprint was refurbished, and loaded with the 1.5 software.  I updated to the 2.1 ROM almost 2 hours ago and it seems like everything went well as I have not experienced the reboot issues as before.  That being said, I will be giving this phone back to Sprint in the next 24 hours as soon as my next replacement comes in.

My theory is that there is a hardware fault of some kind that is marginally common amongst the HTC Hero phones...the phones that fall victim to this hardware fault are experiencing the reboot issue and those who do not have the hardware fault are not.  That's just my .02.

Journeyman

Notes to add to the loose ends ridgecat brought up...

I did the first 2.1 update from a computer at the my office, and immediately updated a co-workers phone as well. Same image, same application same computer.

After having my phone replaced, it came with the 1.5 OS, so I had to upgrade that to 2.1 when I got it home. Did the update at home and havent had a problem.

So I believe its probably a flawed memory location in the actual hardware (only on some phones) of the phone that just was never accessed by the previous OS. Just my thought.

Journeyman

Could very well be something along those lines. Just for clarification, when you did the update at the office, did your phone exhibit the problem, but your coworker's did not? If so, that makes the marginal hardware possibility very, very plausible.

It would be interesting if Sprint, or more to the point, HTC, would ring in with a policy statement on this issue. There has been a lot of time and effort expended by the user community on identifying and isolating this major failure. I've heard nothing official from the guys making the $$$.

Journeyman

After putting up with the problem for 24 hours, I took my phone to the Sprint store on Monday and they tried doing a hard reset and reinstall of the update.  It still did the same thing.  They ordered me a replacement phone.  It came already yesterday (Wed) and they performed the update to 2.1 at the store when I picked it up.  I've had it now for about 36 hours and it has not restarted itself even once.  I've installed several of the apps I use and still no problems.

For those of you who are trying to "solve" this problem yourself or use some wacky workaround, I would recommend giving up and just going to Sprint and getting a new phone - apparently there was a bad batch from HTC or something because it does seem like many of the people who are having this problem got their phone around the same time as me - Nov. 2009.  While I do suspect that my replacement is a refurb, it looks brand new to me and I see no flaws whatsoever with it ... and I'm pretty picky when it comes to that kind of thing.  I take very good care of my phones and they usually look like they haven't even been used after a year or two.

Good luck!

Journeyman

UPDATE:Replacement phone # 1 has not restarted in almost 20 hours.

MrNate,

You may be right about the "bad batch" theory...I got my phone around the same time - NOV 09.

Journeyman

I am experiencing the same random reboot issue.  My wife and I have the same models purchased at the same time (early Jan 2010).  I ran the update on my phone first to evaluate it as she is less tolerant of issues .  Luckily, I have not updated her phone yet!

So in summarizing what I have seen online, there are workarounds which keep your phone active but drain the battery.  If you choose not to use a workaround, you are stuck with the power issue until the next update (after waiting so long for 2.1, I won't hold my breath) or talk to Sprint and get a replacement phone.  In regards to the replacements coming out, are they being received with 2.1 already installed or is it still up to the user to perform the upgrade?  It sounds like most of the contributors to this thread are leaning towards a hardware batch issue instead of an issue with the RUU release, correct?  The closest Sprint service center is 1.5 hours from my residence, and I hate to drive that with out a good chance that things will work out in my favor...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat