cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring "lag" as some mentioned

Journeyman

Ring "lag" as some mentioned

I'm a programmer of small sorts and I'm learning the Android API slowly. From what I gather, the OS is built on "intents" in which applications listen for events that might interest them. For example, new SMS messages are broadcasted from the Android/HTC OS and Handcent, ChompSMS, HTC Messages, etc have listeners in place to receive them... or from a sports perspective, the "baseball" is the intent and all the players with gloves are the possible "listeners"...

Anyhow, when the phone "rings", Android/HTC OS (firmware) broadcasts the "intent" of a new call coming in. I'm wondering if the possible "receivers" for the new call are on a "queue" and even though the OS is multi-processing, it may not be able to have 3-4 proccesses handle the same "intent" all at the same time.

1) Panel Lights Receiver - Receive call Intent - blink panel lights

2) Screen Panel Receiver - Receive call Intent  - turn screen on

3) Incoming caller Receiver - Receive call Intent  - Show new caller widget or whatever it is

4) Ringer Receiver - Receive call Intent  -Ring the default ring tone

I've noticed that something all these happen quickly, other times... the lights flash for a good second.. then the screen.. then the ringer...more slowly.

Anyhow, maybe a worthless thread I've started, but I know I've heard a few rants on how some people are griping on how the phone "lags" when new calls come it.

Message was edited by: kenyu73

56 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Ring "lag" as some mentioned

You don't think the lag has to do with the slot cycle index? I'm thinking Sprint likes to have this set at 2 on most of it's phones.. Now I forget at the moment what that equates to in seconds between when the phone bounces the tower looking to see if there's a phone call, but I know it can cause a lot of lag, especially depending on other factors. I set my Mogul and Instinct to 1. Some set their's to a zero, but likely compromised battery life.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what the Hero is set to and how to find those settings. I imagine this will require the MSL, of which I currently do not have.

Journeyman

just out of curiosity, what's the " MSL "?  what does the acronym stand for ?

Journeyman

master subsidy lock.  this is the code needed and used by telcos to program a phone for activation, etc

Journeyman

mlblack16 wrote:

You don't think the lag has to do with the slot cycle index? I'm thinking Sprint likes to have this set at 2 on most of it's phones.. Now I forget at the moment what that equates to in seconds between when the phone bounces the tower looking to see if there's a phone call, but I know it can cause a lot of lag, especially depending on other factors. I set my Mogul and Instinct to 1. Some set their's to a zero, but likely compromised battery life.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what the Hero is set to and how to find those settings. I imagine this will require the MSL, of which I currently do not have.

No, he's talking about the lag between the time the phone begins responding to the incoming call and the time you can actually answer it. It's pretty bad on mine. First, whatever's going on seems to freeze or slow down. Then the indicator will flash. Then it'll vibrate twice. Then it'll ring. Then it'll let you answer it. Whole process takes a number of seconds and is kinda frustrating.

Journeyman

Any market apps installed that handle incoming calls would be more "Receiving" handlers too. I'm not sure if you say.. install the "AreaCode" app, Would that would be another additional "Intent Receiver" that needs to process before the phone can accually be answered....?

Again, it's only open speculation, but it does seem to go through all these "receiving" processes one at a time before it gets to the final stage where the phone can be answered.

Journeyman

I think i have that...the guy at bb who replaced my phone wrote all of these special lock code numbers down for me, we were having a heckova time activating it, and I was gonna use them on the phone if I had to.

I'll see what i can find

Journeyman

yepp.. this is very annoying!!!!! it takes 2-3 ring on the caller side until i see anything on my screen. sometimes just the screen comes on for a sec or two without any ringtone!!!!! WTF?

sometimes if i do something with the phone and the phone freezes for a few sec... i know i wil have a call.. then the buttons starts to light up then i got a call.. but it ringed like 4-5 times on the caller side already.

if i have the phone in my pocket and im sitting its almost impossible to answer the phone because the phone will go to voicemail

Journeyman

Yeah, I've got the same deal going in here. Light flash... Buzz buzz... Screen on... Ring.  Seems to take 2 to 4 secs.  Kind of annoying for sure. I have not been able to pinpiont any 1 program that makes it worse.

Journeyman

I have the same problem with the phone ring lag, also i have a lag when I receive some texts.  Im thinking that the phone is starting to have more cons than pros.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.