cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root and Upgrade your Sprint Hero to 2.1 NOW!

Highlighted
Patron

Root and Upgrade your Sprint Hero to 2.1 NOW!

So Sprint is probably going to flag me for this post, but those of you stuck with 1.5 on your Hero have no idea how crappy and slow 1.5 is compared to 2.1. Flipz over at http://geekfor.me/ has been working like mad for us Hero users and makes it super easy to root your Hero and upgrade to his ROM Fresh 2.0b that is an Android 2.1 build. He has built the tools to automatically root the phone with one easy click and he continually upgrades the ROM to fix glitches.

I just rooted my phone over the weekend and all of the instructions are there, but it does take patience (and yes it's a little scary at times). There are really five basic steps in the process:

1.  Backup all of your contacts and anything else you want saved that is stored on your phone. The SD card isn't affected.

2. Root your phone using Flipz "Fresh Pre-Kitchen 0.2" application. This is a program that automatically roots your phone so you can modify the ROM, upgrade the radio, etc. Detailed instructions on how to root your phone can be found here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html, and include both manual instructions for rooting or automated using Pre-Kitchen (starting about 1/2 way down the page).

3. Create a nandroid backup using the Pre-Kitchen.

4.  Wipe your phone using the root menu on your rooted phone.

5.  Install Fresh 2.0b ROM, which is based on an Android Nexus 2.1 build. http://geekfor.me/new-release/fresh-rom-20b/

The speed enhancement of Android 2.1 is amazing (it's like having a brand new phone), and the improvements in the graphics are a bonus. Not everything works perfect yet so be sure to read the posts for what does and doesn't work. You don't need to be a computer scientest to root your phone and install a new ROM, but you do need to be patient. Once you have mastered the ROM update, you can also update your radio in your phone for improved performance. http://geekfor.me/downloads/radio-241040203/

You might ask yourself a few questions like "If I root the phone will I void the warranty?" The answer is yes, but you can always downgrade to the stock ROM (see the first link for instructions). You might also ask "Can I damage my phone by upgrading?" The answer is maybe, but where there is risk there is also reward. Be sure to read the disclaimers on any of the upgrades mentioned here.

Now for my soapbox moment to Sprint: How many techs do you have working on rolling out the 2.1 upgrade? If Flipz and a few of his friends can roll out 2.1 over the period of a few days with only the donations from their fans as compensation, what is the delay in getting this out for the masses? I'm guessing that you want to have everything perfect, but that's probably never going to happen in today's world of daily changing technology. Imagine if you teamed up with Flipz and his friends, or hey, how about hiring him to do the roll out? I know there are Hero users that don't feel comfortable rooting and upgrading, so share the love and get the corporate version of 2.1 out the door for them.

56 REPLIES 56
Journeyman

Re: Root and Upgrade your Sprint Hero to 2.1 NOW!

It's cool and all but I can't recommend it at all for daily use. There's too much stuff that isn't complete or doesn't work.

Journeyman

I'd love to do this but I think it might be worth waiting for the actual release. I am with the sentiment about Sprint and their lagging behind on this. HTC is on the verge of releasing v3.0 of the firmware. They are on 2.7x already. C'mon Sprint get it together. At least release a statement about the status of this firmware. I am sick of it taking 2-3 seconds to end a call. I would also like to install Google Goggles and other new android apps that require v1.6 or higher. This is bordering on ridiculous!

Journeyman

ckennow wrote:

HTC is on the verge of releasing v3.0 of the firmware. They are on 2.7x already.

What are you talking about?

Journeyman

the_mig wrote:

So Sprint is probably going to flag me for this post, but those of you stuck with 1.5 on your Hero have no idea how crappy and slow 1.5 is compared to 2.1. ..................

In addition to some of the benefits there are also disadvantages that should be noted. Device rooting voids provider warranty, and can cause more serious issues like instability, breaking device functionality, and preventing future updates from Sprint. It's highly recommended avoiding custom ROMs and waiting for official, certified releases from Sprint.

Journeyman

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=671

It's the uk version but I don't see what the difference is.

Message was edited by: ckennow

Wizard

ckennow wrote:

It's GSM not CDMA.

Journeyman

ckennow wrote:

That's old, old news.

You can safely ignore the "ROM version" number. It's still Android 1.5. What you're looking at is the GSM version, which has a different HTC ROM numbering system than our CDMA version.

They're at 2.73 (not 2.7) and we're at 1.56 (not 1.5) on the HTC ROM. They're both Android 1.5 with the same version of Sense.

That ROM has nothing we don't have already.

Journeyman

the_mig wrote:

Now for my soapbox moment to Sprint: How many techs do you have working on rolling out the 2.1 upgrade? If Flipz and a few of his friends can roll out 2.1 over the period of a few days with only the donations from their fans as compensation, what is the delay in getting this out for the masses? I'm guessing that you want to have everything perfect, but that's probably never going to happen in today's world of daily changing technology. Imagine if you teamed up with Flipz and his friends, or hey, how about hiring him to do the roll out? I know there are Hero users that don't feel comfortable rooting and upgrading, so share the love and get the corporate version of 2.1 out the door for them.

People bring this up all the time, but it's apples and oranges. For some reason custom modders always get a pass from the impatient people for the laundry list of stuff that doesn't work.

Sprint could have had SOMETHING to us a long time ago, if they weren't on the hook for anything, or actually required to be DONE with 60% of the features because all we really want was for it to say 2.1 when you went to check the version, but that isn't really the point.

If you gave your friend and I a shopping list of things you needed and he returned 20 minutes later with half the items on his list, and it took me an hour, but I got them all, it seems like a bizarre reaction to be upset at me for "taking so long," when the only thing you even have to go off of as a reference of how long it "should" take is your friend's failure to complete anything, instead of questioning why your friend thought it was ok to only get half the stuff.

Journeyman

So it's okay that a multi billion dollar company is "slow". I pay this friend 80 bucks a month you'd think they would be able to put some more effort into making sure I have the latest software releases for my phone. it's been quite some time. Yah I may have been ignorant about the ROM thing but still Android 2.0 is out and all Sprint needs to do is tailor it to their service and shove it out the metaphoric door.

If I pay you 80 bucks a month I would expect you to have all the items in half the time. The ridiculous part of all this is that the people who aren't getting paid a red penny are shoving things out that, yes, may be broken...but at least it's functional. The sad thing is, is that Sprint should be able to put something out since I am sure they have access to the software before release and it's been, how long, since 2.0 came out? not to mention 1.6!

Journeyman

the_mig wrote:

Not to diminish the accomplishments of the independent devs, but Flipz and others have hacked together pieces of code that have been developed and leaked by the likes of HTC and Verizon.

They're not doing "actual" coding. They're not developing new Sense features. They're not writing camera drivers. They're not writing kernel modules. They're not developing new features for apps.

The 2.1 ROMs were barely-functional hacked-together pieces of code from other phones, and now they're mostly-functional hacked-together pieces of code from the leaked Eris ROM. They're not creating the code - they're pulling it from other places and putting it together.

They're still completely relying on HTC and others to actually write the code. They haven't actually done anything that Sprint and/or HTC haven't already done.

And, by the way, if Sprint released the current Flipz ROM, there'd be a freaking riot because so many things don't work right. Let Sprint and HTC do their thing, and we will have it when it's ready.

Journeyman

ckennow wrote:

So it's okay that a multi billion dollar company is "slow". I pay this friend 80 bucks a month you'd think they would be able to put some more effort into making sure I have the latest software releases for my phone. it's been quite some time. Yah I may have been ignorant about the ROM thing but still Android 2.0 is out and all Sprint needs to do is tailor it to their service and shove it out the metaphoric door.

If I pay you 80 bucks a month I would expect you to have all the items in half the time. The ridiculous part of all this is that the people who aren't getting paid a red penny are shoving things out that, yes, may be broken...but at least it's functional. The sad thing is, is that Sprint should be able to put something out since I am sure they have access to the software before release and it's been, how long, since 2.0 came out? not to mention 1.6!

"Quite some time."

Yeah, a whole almost two months to develop a completely new version of a modern smartphone OS with tons of new features and frameworks.

Give me a break. They're not slow. Your expectations are ludicrously high - much higher than your understanding of the software development process.

By the way, if Sprint is slow, which multi billion dollar company is not slow? No other carrier in the entire world has to date released a 2.x update for a phone that was first released with a 1.x OS. If Sprint is slow, so is every other mobile carrier.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat