cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRINT: HOTFIX NEEDED FOR HERO/MARKET/DRM ISSUES NOW!!!

Journeyman

SPRINT: HOTFIX NEEDED FOR HERO/MARKET/DRM ISSUES NOW!!!

The following is a quote from a respected android app developer who shall remain nameless unless he wants to identify himself.

This is a Sprint Hero issue not being able to find copy protected apps in the market. I suspect it's the same reason the verizon eris cannot see DoggCatcher either. Maybe this sprint OTA update get the sprint hero caught up to the same hero revision that the eris has...which already had the problem.

This problem would mean that any sprint customer that purchased a copy protected app would not be able to upgrade the apps or reinstall them if they wiped or switched their phones.

I don't think there's anything google can do here. I wish I could flip off the copy protection but that would break installations for existing users.

Once this comes to the surface, I'm sure sprint and verizon will have to address it. Thanks for all your help narrowing this down...I didn't have the devices to do it myself.

This is serious Sprint. Fix 5 issues and break another. I have paid for apps that I want back. Clock is ticking....

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: SPRINT: HOTFIX NEEDED FOR HERO/MARKET/DRM ISSUES NOW!!!

I couldn't agree more.  We Sprint customers are not pleased.   At best, you are badly limiting the usabillity of this device.  At worst, you are forcing people who leagaly purchased applications into piracy.  Android app developers are not pleased.  This will lead to fewer and lesser quallity applications for all.

I can tell you that word of mouth among my friends and many forums I follow is not looking good for Sprint (nor HTC).  They all agree that this is an inexcusable situation, and does not reflect well on Sprint.  That is just poor buisiness.  There seems to be some debate over whose fault this all is.  We don't care.  Yes, this is a Google phone, made by HTC.  But I bought this from Sprint and surely you can better work with them to solve this issue better than I.  We bought and paid for a phone that is highly customizable.  What I have now is not. We want to be able to access the same programs as every other Android user: End of story.  Please, please, please fix this!

Eyebeam -> off soapbox

Message was edited by: eyebeam

Journeyman

INDEED!

Journeyman

I do not understand at all how anyone can be upset with Sprint about this issue when it is clearly something that HTC needs to fix.

It is happening on Verizon's HTC Droid Eris too? Obviously not Sprint's problem. As soon as HTC has completed a fix I'm sure that it will be released immediately.

I'm a very satisfied Sprint customer and I think that it is important that your frustration is directed toward the right people Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Journeyman

You make some very good points, However - This IS Sprints problem.  Sprint sells this phone.  Sprint got my money by telling me I could download a wealth of applications.  Somewhere else here someone got a response from HTC saying that is is Spint's issue.  I've also seen the blame laid on Google.  I really could care less who created the problem.  It needs fixing now.  By cutting through the CSR runaround that I have dealt with Sprint can clearly pressure whoever created this to fix it more effectivly then I.

Further;  Having people asking about this phone and telling them how cool it is EXCEPT that I can't download a ton of the best applications nor do I have access to the ones I did buy is definitly a problem for Sprint, I would think.

Message was edited by: eyebeam

Journeyman

I believe you can take your phone back to any Sprint store and they can down-grade your ROM back to the original version.

You can then choose to keep that version  until the fix is available, or you can download your "ton of apps" then upgrade the firmware, since existing apps will continue to work, even though you will not be able to re-install them, should you uninstall or reset your phone back to factory.

Journeyman

Why would anyone take their phone back to the store except to get a physcial replacement? You just download the Stock ROM - reflash it and you're done. takes 10 mintues.

It's actually idiot proof I think. I had my cat start my 9th reflash 30minutes ago while I made some coffee. He told me to make sure that when I root the phone not to forget the su chmod /system/xbin part. Smart cat.

Journeyman

Vox,

LOL

I didn't realize you could get the download for the original (have had no reason to do so), however it's nice to know for future reference

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat