cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious ROM leak documented on video!! May cause fatal sms issue.

Journeyman

Serious ROM leak documented on video!! May cause fatal sms issue.

During the past few weeks my my Hero has been exhibiting signs of a ROM memory leak. It led to not being able to receive SMS messages even after hard resetting the phone. See these threads for that issue:
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12643-htc-working-critical-sms-voicemail-issue.html

Intermittent Text Message Receiving - Deals more with intermittent issue, but has some fatal sms isuues in it too.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12604-mms-sms-stopped-working-after-out-space-error.html

It appears a leak is being caused when rebooting or turning off bluetooth the phone when the phone is in a "connecting" status with bluetooth device. Basically the phone stays in a "connecting" status when it fails to connect properly, even though the notification in the notification bar says it is connected and your bluetooth device says it is connected. In actuality it is not and all calls and audio will be routed to your phone not bluetooth device. If you restart or turn off bluetooth while your phone with a "connecting" status active I have found when you reboot it will eat away at your ROM memory(not RAM). You may not ever notice the bluetooth connection failure if you don't get a call while when it should be active. The "connecting" status does not clear unless you  unless it manages to connect after a while which is rare (either does it within a few seconds or not at all). I made a video of this behavior because not a lot of people have been experiencing or at least catching on to it with their usage patterns.

Edit: It appears that the leak actually occurs even if you turn bluetooth off while the phone is in "connecting" status so a reset is not necessary for the leak to occur. The post has been edited to reflect this. This basically renders bluetooth use unsuable as there is no way I can think of to avoid a leak if it gets stuck with the  "connecting" status.

Sorry for the video orientation.

YouTube - HTC Sprint Hero ROM memory leak, possible SMS failure Part 1

YouTube - HTC Sprint Hero ROM memory leak, possible SMS failure Part 2

Message was edited by: elguapo76

14 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Serious ROM leak documented on video!! May cause fatal sms issue.

good video! i dont personally use BT but a friend of mine was having this same issue on his MT3G but his seems to have been fixed with a few updates.

Journeyman

elguapo76 wrote:

During the past few weeks my my Hero has been exhibiting signs of a ROM memory leak. It led to not being able to receive SMS messages even after hard resetting the phone. See these threads for that issue:
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12643-htc-working-critical-sms-voicemail-issue.html

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/22913?tstart=0 - Deals more with intermittent issue, but has some fatal sms isuues in it too.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12604-mms-sms-stopped-working-after-out-space-error.html

It appears a leak is being caused when rebooting the phone when the phone is in a "connecting" status with bluetooth device. Basically the phone stays in a "connecting" status when it fails to connect, even though the notification in the notification bar says it is connected and your bluetooth device says it is connected. In actuality it is not and all calls and audio will be routed to your phone not bluetooth device. If you restart your phone with a "connecting" status active I have found when you reboot it will eat away at your ROM memory(not RAM). You may not ever notice the bluetooth connection failure if you don't get a call while when it should be active. The "connecting" status does not clear unless you manually turn bluetooth off before restarting or it finally manages to connect after a while which is rare (either does it within a few seconds or not at all) . I made a video of this behavior because not a lot of people have been experiencing or at least catching on to it with their usage patterns.

Sorry for the video orientation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4BWVp6yJoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1QgIpURCl0

I can confirm I have the same ROM issue.  I'm also having about a 60-70% success rate connecting to the hands-free bluetooth in my car (which has literally worked with every other device I've tried - G1, My Touch, Instinct, etc.)

Could someone please add this to the fix list?

Sprint Product Ambassador

+1; reported since day one.  Bluetooth is HIGHLY aggravating on this thing.  I literally schedule 15 minutes in the morning to pair the phone.  (Ok, I'm getting coffee and booting the laptop too, but it sounds better that way...)

Hope it's sorted in the MR.

I'll send this thread in so it's noted (again)

will

Journeyman

Huh, that's odd.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a single problem with pairing.... after I paired for the first time (took about 15 seconds), now every time I turn on my bluetooth, it finds my earpiece immediately and works without a hitch.

Highlighted

Had to hardreset my phone this AM - I was down to 9MB of space.  Uninstalled EVERYTHING.  Didn't help.

I'll be agitating to get this sorted.  It's personal now.  :-)

Journeyman

That sucks! The only way out is to hard reset your phone to recover your storage memory. Whatever eats up at the phone does not report it so it's not possible to delete. Let us know if you are still able to receive voicemail and sms after hard reseting.

Anyone who is experiencing this please send an email to htc and sprint with the links to the videos. You can also try emailing the sprint CEO CEO at dan@sprint.com.

Also here is HTC America's Corporate Info.

HTC America
13920 SE Eastgate Way, Suite 400
Bellevue, Washington 98005
Tel: 425-679-5318

No SMS or VVM messages coming in.  Had 10 or 12 sent to me from a variety of sources, recieved none.  Working with a product engineer now...

Message was edited by: wengla02

Journeyman

Can you refer them to this thread and video documenting the ROM issue. Over time more and more people will experience this particularly if if their bluetooth connects 99% of the time it will drain storage memory very slow. Sprint will have a lot of returns, it is in their best interest to fix this.

Also it is interesting that the phone stops receiveing SMS even with 9MB left!!!  That's an issue in itself.

Message was edited by: elguapo76

Already have . . .