cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So LAGGY while listenig to MUSIC!

Patron

So LAGGY while listenig to MUSIC!

So without music playing, I think the speed/lag/performance of the phone is manageable. Not the fastest phone in the world but something I can live with. However, WHILE music is playing, its a whole different ball game. The phone noticeably slows down while i'm listening to music. It takes 3-4 more seconds to do things than when music is not playing, and maneuvering between home screens is sluggish.

I have an HTC music widget (smaller one) on the homescreen just left of my main home screen. If while the phone is sleeping, the current song ends and a different one begins, and I unlock my phone and swipe left to look at that music widget, it takes a solid 5 seconds for the app to change from showing the second it was playing BEFORE and start showing what is CURRENTLY showing. VERY ANNOYING.

Also, the Music app itself is very slow, and even more so while listening to music. So I click Music, and it takes me to a blank blackish gray page wich after about 5 secodns shows the cover flow and music options. I click the bottom-left list button, and it stays green for abuot 4 seconds and then takes another 4 seconds to go to the option of browsing artists, songs, playlists, etc. I select the song I want and escape out to home and see that again it takes like 4 seconds for the music widget to update and show the song I just switched to.

Not only that... opening up a text message, checking my email, checking the weather, setting a new alarm, checking to see if someone replied to a thread on my favorite forum via browser, i can go on and on - its all noticeably slower.

I am a big music person, and I really hoped to use the Hero has my primary music device (which you can't blame me for, since the Hero is advertised as a capable music player)

Now heres something to think about: the SD card that came with the phone is a 2.0 speed card. There are micro SD cards up to speed 6.0 that are available, but I believe HTC is claiming that the Hero only supports 2.0. Has anyone tried 6.0? Because my theory is that with a faster SD card, music would be accessed from the SD card by the phone faster, thus making the entire music function faster and better on the Hero. Any inputs on that?

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: So LAGGY while listenig to MUSIC!

i have been using a 4GB one since out of the box never had a problem and i too have an extra music app but i havnt had any problems so far

Patron

cts627 wrote:

i have been using a 4GB one since out of the box never had a problem and i too have an extra music app but i havnt had any problems so far

Your not experience ANY slowdown from playing music? None, zero, zip? And what do you mean by extra music app, like one you d/l'ed from the market? Or did you mean extra music widget.

ALSO do you know what speed your 4GB micro sd card is? Is it the standard (and lowest) 2.0? or 4.0 or 6.0?

Journeyman

I haven't had any problems that your have stated with my music player. I'm using the microsd card that came with the phone and the same widget your using. Maybe you have a few apps running in the background.

Message was edited by: Quezz

Patron

Quezz wrote:

I haven't had any problems that your have stated with my music player. I'm using the microsd card that came with the phone and the same widget your using. Maybe you have a few apps running in the background.

Message was edited by: Quezz

Nope. I made sure to kill all unnecessary apps before making a final conclusion about this issue.

Journeyman

I've also been getting some stuttering with music playing.

I bought a big old 16gb card, although supposedly its class 6

in fact, its this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-TS16GUSDHC6E-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B0026L7DGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255720905&sr=8-1

I could try the included card again to see if i notice a difference

I'm not 100% sure that some other app might not be running, but i ran taskiller a bit ago and tried to clean up stuff i wasn't using.

I do see that messages keeps showing up in my task list even though I have it disabled and am using handcent... and kill it whenever i see it up

(my awake time is still pretty low so I don't think its locking the processor at least)

Journeyman

I have a 16GB card, dont know the speed.  But, I use Pandora and it slows the phone to

a crawl if Im listing to music on it. In fact, when the screen blanks, its studders and takes

3 - 4 seconds to catch up.

Patron

Re: So LAGGY while listening to MUSIC!

I've experienced stuttering, but not necessarily any lag.

I am using the 2gb microsd card that came with the phone, and I haven't been sure if the stuttering is bluetooth related or not -- I've only listened to music over bluetooth as my workaround for the mono headphone issue.

What I've experienced is stuttering/dropouts where the music stops/skips for 1/2 a second or so.

Journeyman

Ah ok. To clarify, I am using wired headphones, not bluetooth, and I have the sutttering like you describe. I have used the headset toggle widget to force it to recognize them as stereo... I wonder if that is related at all.

Journeyman

Yeah, I use the headset from an Iphone. I just bought a 16GB Class 6 Card from Newegg. Ill see if that helps

at all, but honestly, I doubt it.

Patron

Lappie2010 wrote:

Yeah, I use the headset from an Iphone. I just bought a 16GB Class 6 Card from Newegg. Ill see if that helps

at all, but honestly, I doubt it.

Please keep us updated on whether or not the 6.0 micro SD card reduces the lag at all compared to the 2.0 that came with the phone. Thanks

Journeyman

I too have some slow downs with my older 16GB Sandisk. However, not nearly as bad as you are reporting. I have found with this and previous devices, a lot of slow downs occur due to album art that is embedded in the mp3 file. It makes a huge difference when album art can be pulled from a file versus pulling it from each mp3 file. Also, you may want to try updating your mp3 tag structure. There are automated programs that will do this very quickly. This can cut down on the time it takes to scan mp3 files.

Personally, I have tossed around doing some research and trying out another audio player to see if it helps. If I get a chance today, I'll report back if I see any performance increases.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat