cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update 2.27.651.6 (3.17MB) FOTA Available

Highlighted
Journeyman

Software Update 2.27.651.6 (3.17MB) FOTA Available

I just tried the HTC Software Update and found this 3.17MB update available!  Anyone know what's in it???

Hit Menu, then Settings, then About Phone, then System Updates, then HTC Software Update, and finally hit Check Now.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Software Update 2.27.651.6 (3.17MB) FOTA Available

I don't have a clue.  I take it that we're getting our updates straight from HTC?  Which I don't have a problem with that at all. 

I took the plunge.  Of course changed my version #.  Trying to see what's change or been added.

Message was edited by: budgetboy1

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have just installed as well (blind sheep).  Am following the thread on androidforums to see what some of the experts uncover.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/91019-system-update-2-27-651-6-3-17mb-fota-available.html

So far, the speculation is:

- Sprint desired a patch since 2.27.651.5 had been rooted

- HTC Evo (and Hero) suffered from a problem with SD card usage by apps

Highlighted
Journeyman

From what I've read it looks like it might just be a patch to fix the root exploit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have discovered one issue immediately following the patch install.

- Installed update

- Phone auto-restarted and the patch was applied

- At home screen, attempted to access Internet.

! No pages could load, received "Connection Failed" and "Web page not available" errors indicating that the data services were not available or accesible

- To fix this, I did a manual update for Profile and PRL (Home->Menu->Settings->About phone->System updates)

Highlighted
Journeyman

The way i fixed that problem was disconnect the network and re-connect it and everything works just fine for me

Highlighted
Journeyman

The way i fixed that problem was disconnect the network and re-connect it and everything works just fine for me

Highlighted
Master

It updates HTC Sense to fix security issues brought up shortly before the EVO launch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear halcyoncmdr117

Could you please tell me what security issues HTC had with its Sense?

Thank you

Highlighted
Journeyman

halcyoncmdr117 wrote:

It updates HTC Sense to fix security issues brought up shortly before the EVO launch.

lol, yeah, the only "security" issue it fixed was to patch the root exploit....instead of using a valuable ota update to fix the problems that 2.1 created (after 8 months of development, 2.1 is much buggier than 1.5 ever was)!  Truly laughable indeed.

btw.....root on 2.1 can still be achieved by simply running the initial 2.1 update 2.27.651.5 ruu, rooting once again, and then stopping the 2.27.651.6 ota update from redownloading by instructions on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694572

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is sprint going to wake up and realize that being able to root the phone should be the very least of there concern. They should be far more worried about making the best product possible to sell, Keeping the customers happy, and fixing real issues with the existing phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

troyboytn1972 wrote:

halcyoncmdr117 wrote:

lol, yeah, the only "security" issue it fixed was to patch the root exploit....instead of using a valuable ota update to fix the problems that 2.1 created (after 8 months of development, 2.1 is much buggier than 1.5 ever was)!  Truly laughable indeed.

btw.....root on 2.1 can still be achieved by simply running the initial 2.1 update 2.27.651.5 ruu, rooting once again, and then stopping the 2.27.651.6 ota update from redownloading by instructions on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694572

Well it is a security issue. If you can download an app from XDA that breaks into your phone to give *you* root access, it's possible to download an app from the app market that breaks into your phone to give *itself* root access and then phones home to report back your entire contact list, browsing history, and app data.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat