Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: uh oh

Also, is there any way to make sure the phone is sleeping aside from counting the Awake minutes?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ronnienyc wrote:

Also, is there any way to make sure the phone is sleeping aside from counting the Awake minutes?

Not that I know of unless you have the dev kit installed on a comp and are watching the debug monitor on a computer like I am. Because if it still accesses the phone then the phone is awake.

Basically the easiest thing you can do is pull up the Menu < Settings < About phone < Status screen and scroll to the bottom. Check the "Awake time" before you sleep the phone. When you turn it back on it will take you right to that screen. If the time has changed more than about 10 seconds then you know it's not sleeping.

There is no way of knowing when you actually have the screen off, but you will know as soon as you turn it back on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Sense UI the culprit?

I am using my phone for business purposes today so can't mess around with it too much, but:

Anyone know if this "no-sleep Phone app" issue is related to Sense UI or Android?

In other words, is the issue resolved by running the phone with Sense UI turned off?

(I would think that if this was a general Android issue that it would have been solved long ago with a tweak of some sort)

Highlighted
Journeyman

i hope one of you software gurus comes up with an app that extends battery while not messing up the phone's important duties? and is techno-dummy friendly? i am one of those, and would pay for it! or Sprint can buy it from you and give it to us free?

Highlighted
Journeyman

texts gone

By the way, those two lost texts sent with the Phone app are still missing after over an hour. And the phone has been restarted. New texts work fine, but the other ones seem to be gone for good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Source of Hero's poor battery life

I CAN CONFIRM that the dialer starts a partial wakelock the second you send a text message. Prior to that, the phone is great. So there's something going on in the text message sending that is screwing things up. Now how do we fix this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is Sense UI the culprit?

ronnienyc wrote:

I am using my phone for business purposes today so can't mess around with it too much, but:

Anyone know if this "no-sleep Phone app" issue is related to Sense UI or Android?

In other words, is the issue resolved by running the phone with Sense UI turned off?

(I would think that if this was a general Android issue that it would have been solved long ago with a tweak of some sort)

Application information: Dialer for Android. Version 2.00.0011.1.29.651.1. HTC Application.

So it appears to be a problem caused by HTC's dialer. Like I mentioned above, the dialer is going in to PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK which as defined by the Android API, it will not let the phone sleep. So it is a programming error that it's in that power state (or it's done for some reason unknown to us). But that is the exact reason that the phone can't sleep. Keep in mind that this is the very first CDMA device so it kind of makes sense that the dialer would have problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

THIS IS THE FIX!!!!

Go download ChompSMS for free from Marketplace. Use that instead, it looks just like iPhone SMS and works great. I've tried sending/receiving a bunch of texts and Dialer is behaving!!! I LOVE ANDROID. No other mobile OS could you just download a different SMS client!

Highlighted
Journeyman

mobilehavoc wrote:

THIS IS THE FIX!!!!

Go download ChompSMS for free from Marketplace. Use that instead, it looks just like iPhone SMS and works great. I've tried sending/receiving a bunch of texts and Dialer is behaving!!! I LOVE ANDROID. No other mobile OS could you just download a different SMS client!

More of a work around than a fix but you are 100% correct! Just tested and confirmed on my phone too. I don't really love the client heh. But My phone is sleeping properly after having sent a text through comp instead of through the original sms client. And I agree completely, no other phone would let you just do that.

Thanks for the app recommendation.

I am currently getting dual-notifications when I receive a text. One from chomp and one from the internal messaging system. I'm assuming I can turn off the internal system's notifications though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm sorry.. a little confused..

so are you saying my phones awake time will be lowered just by using chompsms?

or are there additional steps/programs needed?

thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmmmm, I'd been using ChompSMS and now using Handcent SMS.  Maybe that's the reason I've not been seeing the same behavior you guys are seeing.  I'd never checked the awake time until I saw this thread and it was already only showing 25% of uptime.

Highlighted
Journeyman

broncophil123 wrote:

i'm sorry.. a little confused..

so are you saying my phones awake time will be lowered just by using chompsms?

or are there additional steps/programs needed?

thanks.

Just switching to chompsms (or handcent as was mentioned) and using it instead of the built in app is a great workaround for the problem! The only additional step you need to do is to disable the internal notifications which I haven't done yet. Work is distracting me at the moment. Ha.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat