cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

Journeyman

Re: Source of Hero's poor battery life

So can someone please confirm if I've got this right:

1) When your phone initially boots, it will NOT go to sleep unless you kill the Phone app with Task Manager, which seems to re-start on its own (at least mine did, at which point the phone slept fine)

2) Once you send a text message, the problem returns, unless you use ChompSMS.  If not using ChompSMS, you have to kill the Phone app again.

Is that right?

Journeyman

DO NOT KILL THE PHONE APP. It screws things up completely.

When you start up the phone, make sure you are the one putting it to sleep and it's not auto sleep (screen dims). Then it sleeps.

Finally when sending/receiving texts use either ChompSMS or another SMS client other than the built-in Messages app and you will be flying high!!

Make sure you reboot (poweroff/on) your phone before you start using ChompSMS or another SMS app exclusively so any issue caused by the Messages app has been cleared.

Not only is the battery drain gone for me my phone is charging twice as fast!

Journeyman

drew879 wrote:

So can someone please confirm if I've got this right:

1) When your phone initially boots, it will NOT go to sleep unless you kill the Phone app with Task Manager, which seems to re-start on its own (at least mine did, at which point the phone slept fine)

2) Once you send a text message, the problem returns, unless you use ChompSMS.  If not using ChompSMS, you have to kill the Phone app again.

Is that right?

1) The phone will not go to sleep when it initially boots until you wake it up after it has fully booted and then put it to sleep again. If you do not send any texts through the internal messaging system then it will sleep fine without you killing the phone app.

2) The problem does return unless you use a 3rd party SMS client like comp. You will NOT have to kill the phone app in this case. The internal messaging client is what is triggering the Phone to open a lock. So if you don't use it, then you do not have to worry about killing it.

Journeyman

Ok, thank you for the clarification.  Glad I don't have to kill the Phone app every time I start the phone.  Is my alternative to getting the 3rd party SMS app to kill the Phone app each time I send a text message?  Given ronnienyc's lost text messages, maybe I should just get that 3rd party app if so...

Journeyman

flipz wrote:

mobilehavoc wrote:

THIS IS THE FIX!!!!

Go download ChompSMS for free from Marketplace. Use that instead, it looks just like iPhone SMS and works great. I've tried sending/receiving a bunch of texts and Dialer is behaving!!! I LOVE ANDROID. No other mobile OS could you just download a different SMS client!

More of a work around than a fix but you are 100% correct! Just tested and confirmed on my phone too. I don't really love the client heh. But My phone is sleeping properly after having sent a text through comp instead of through the original sms client. And I agree completely, no other phone would let you just do that.

Thanks for the app recommendation.

I am currently getting dual-notifications when I receive a text. One from chomp and one from the internal messaging system. I'm assuming I can turn off the internal system's notifications though.

Go to Messages (The app) > Settings > Notifications. You can turn it off there. I had been using chompsms since I got the phone, knew about it before I got it, and it's a great app. Only one thing, it will not send to an email. A couple people I know use an app on their iPhone call txtfree and the format is an email format ie. 1234564@txtfree.us and every time I used chompsms to reply, it would fail. Also wouldn't let me send a test text to my email; said it was an invalid recepient. So I emailed the chompsms guy and he said he will add it. He didn't even know that stock messaging could do it lol. So I'll be waiting for the update.

Journeyman

Thanks I didn't scroll down enough!

Journeyman

just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post..

Journeyman

Here's another situation where I found that the phone would not sleep.

I installed the free version of Power Manager yesterday and didn't like that in the free version I couldn't change the settings, so I uninstalled it.

I happened to uninstall it while it was on its usb profile. While on that profile, the screen will dim, but never turn off on its own. This is even after the program was uninstalled and the phone was rebooted.

There must be a setting (perhaps hidden) that Power Manager had set. To fix it I had to re-install Power Manager, start it, and then unplug the phone from any power source. Once that was done I uninstalled Power Manager again.

This seems like it cleared whatever setting was causing the phone to never sleep.

Journeyman

Yes, thanks guys, I'll use chompSMS (or some alternate) now. Also just to be safe, I used TasKiller to close the built-in messages app.

I'll share one other thing I got from another forum:

Go to Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Network Settings and uncheck the Enable always-on mobile data

I haven't had any trouble still getting notifications... my Gmail might not be instantaneous is all I've really noticed, and it seems to have had a big impact on my battery life. Then again, at my desk at work I don't get a great signal, and CDMA phones seem to run themselves down "looking" for a signal when they don't have one, so your mileage may vary. I don't mind email notifications coming a few minutes late as long as I can still use my phone at the end of the day personally.

Glad to see everyone sharing information on this, and I'm glad to know Sprint is watching these forums. I hope software patches will keep making this phone better because I do like it

Patron

You my friend I could kiss you, but I wont. You do something this cool again and I might have to. Worked like charm!!!!

Thank you

Journeyman

Installed chompSMS... phone app force quits, senseui force quits, settings force quits. You get the drift, right? Had to hard reset.

Journeyman

So how's it working after the reset?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat