cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint HTC Hero Android 2.1 software leaked (signed with release keys)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint HTC Hero Android 2.1 software leaked (signed with release keys)

Has anyone had problems with Live Wallpapers in the 2.1 update?  I can download them from the Market but I can't seem to get one installed.  Any insight?  Thanks

By the way, 2.1 is great!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgrade works GREAT. I updated 2 phones - went smoothly on both. 2.1 has a lot of nice features, more home screens, better Market, Voice Search and seems to be a lot faster.

A couple words of CAUTION:

1.) Be SURE your phone is in Hybrid mode (Mode of Operation) BEFORE upgrading. It seems that if you are in 1x mode when you upgrade, you're stuck there. One of my phones was in Hybrid, the other in 1x... the 1x is stuck there and the connection speed is abyssmal. Trying to find a way to downgrade - see #2.

2.) Follow the instructions for backing up your image. You cannot reinstall an older ROM - I've tried 3 already - all fail. Even tried using a recovery image I found online - no luck.

3.) Be sure you have a good charge on your phone (>60%) and do NOT unplug until the installer is finished

4.) Be patient on first boot - took my phones about 7 minutes to completely boot after upgrade. Subsequent restarts are very fast.

5.) Don't rely on the Sprint store folks to give you any assistance - this is not an official upgrade.

Just MHO.

Go ahead, upgrade! It's pretty safe and the new OS is much better.

***I would suggest if you are planning on sabotaging your phone, you do not discuss it on Sprint's Forums, by the way...

Message was edited by: danielwal4950

Highlighted
Journeyman

btalcott3115 wrote:

Has anyone had problems with Live Wallpapers in the 2.1 update?  I can download them from the Market but I can't seem to get one installed.  Any insight?  Thanks

By the way, 2.1 is great!

That's one of the features not supported on this phone/update. My understanding is the Hero processor is not powerful enough.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mmark27 wrote:

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THIS ROM or upgrading this way.  This isn't a custom rooted ROM.  This will be the EXACT way you install the "official ROM" from Sprint.  I would hedge a whole lot of bets that this is the final ROM too.  I haven't found a single bug in the software.  Everytime I think I do, there is an explanation as to why it is the way that it is. I have had no data connection issues and if you are, update your PRL and profile or reboot the phone.

I wouldn't worry about bricking your phone using this ROM anymore so than bricking your phone when the official upgrade comes out.  It will be the exact same process, exact.

DO IT!

I installed it to my daughter's phone. She loves it. It works great. I played with it for a while and like it too. Seems very stable and polished compared to what shipped on the phone.

The reason I'm waiting to put it on my phone is the worry of being able to install the "official" version once Sprint releases that. I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer that this ROM will not some how prevent me from being able to install the official one, or other future ones. Though I know this in fact may be the official ROM, no one from Sprint has confirmed that...

Highlighted
Journeyman

danielwal4950 wrote:

Upgrade works GREAT. I updated 2 phones - went smoothly on both. 2.1 has a lot of nice features, more home screens, better Market, Voice Search and seems to be a lot faster.

5.) Don't rely on the Sprint store folks to give you any assistance. Customer Service (Chat) is pretty nice, but the people at the store are clueless - the blank stares, the total lack of product/technology knowledge... you'll get better answers by using online resources like this forum and many others.

I don't mean to pick on you since this has been simmilarly expressed in quite a few places. But, at the risk of yet again being labeled a fanboy for leaping to the "defense" of Sprint, expecting them to know how to, answer questions about, support, or be willing/able to help you with an update that is neither out yet, and more importantly, that you aren't supposed to have, is a little silly.

You aren't rooting your phone, but in principle it's not a whole lot different than being convinced Sprint only employs dunderheads because they weren't able to help you install Fresh 2.0d on your phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

danielwal4950 wrote:

1.) Be SURE your phone is in Hybrid mode (Mode of Operation) BEFORE upgrading. It seems that if you are in 1x mode when you upgrade, you're stuck there. One of my phones was in Hybrid, the other in 1x... the 1x is stuck there and the connection speed is abyssmal. Trying to find a way to downgrade - see #2.

2.) Follow the instructions for backing up your image. You cannot reinstall an older ROM - I've tried 3 already - all fail. Even tried using a recovery image I found online - no luck.

3.) Be sure you have a good charge on your phone (>60%) and do NOT unplug until the installer is finished

4.) Be patient on first boot - took my phones about 7 minutes to completely boot after upgrade. Subsequent restarts are very fast.

5.) Don't rely on the Sprint store folks to give you any assistance. Customer Service (Chat) is pretty nice, but the people at the store are clueless - the blank stares, the total lack of product/technology knowledge... you'll get better answers by using online resources like this forum and many others.

Just MHO.

They may be giving you blank stares because the Sprint update is not officially released yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I knew that was coming!!  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hessitantly pulled the trigger on this last night and everything went smoothly.  Love everything about the update except one thing.  Listening to media over my bluetooth is unbearably choppy now.  Never had a problem with 1.5 and now I can't stand to listen to pandora or last.fm.  Anyone know what gives?

Highlighted
Wizard

jturnbowtoo wrote:

I installed it to my daughter's phone. She loves it. It works great. I played with it for a while and like it too. Seems very stable and polished compared to what shipped on the phone.

The reason I'm waiting to put it on my phone is the worry of being able to install the "official" version once Sprint releases that. I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer that this ROM will not some how prevent me from being able to install the official one, or other future ones. Though I know this in fact may be the official ROM, no one from Sprint has confirmed that...

Ha ha, way to sacrifice your daughter! 

Anyways, you will be able to update when the "official" ROM comes out the exact same way that you did this ROM on your daughter's phone.  This upgrade doesn't check what you have currently installed on your phone.  It just communicates with your Android device, then wipes it out and puts the new ROM on there with the signed release keys, etc. I would say that I am 99.999% sure of this, of course if you are skeptical of the 0.001% then wait. It does totally replace the bootloader from 1.5 which is preventing  people from flashing 1.5 back on their phones.

People with rooted phones are upgrading to this ROM and then they are losing their root, but the upgrade would happen.  If there would be anything to stop the "official" ROM from getting installed, it would have happened to them with this ROM.  IF this ROM gets pushed OTA, then potentially you will have an issue, but highly doubtful, it is accessing all my account information from Sprint without any issues.  My hardware IDs are no different for this version.  Since this is an OTW update, then I think all will be fine.  It will install the new ROM by wiping out all the information on the phone again.

It is also (potentially) very good news that there is now an additional update button in the About phone -> system updates -> "HTC software update".  That leads me to believe that HTC is working out this upgrade issue to future version of Android such as 2.2.  Time will tell though.....maybe its nothing.

Highlighted
Wizard

ozzie1p wrote:

Hessitantly pulled the trigger on this last night and everything went smoothly.  Love everything about the update except one thing.  Listening to media over my bluetooth is unbearably choppy now.  Never had a problem with 1.5 and now I can't stand to listen to pandora or last.fm.  Anyone know what gives?

I am having the same issue. Now my S9-HD controls the stock music app or Pandora randomly.Yes it's very choppy.

Not sure where the problem is but I can handle this until 06/04/2010

I can only think of software driver issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

My experince is it could be described for them in Sprint's documents and I would get blank stares, but I wouldn't expect them to install or help after the install of a unofficial version of the software.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ya, It's got to be a software thing.  It's a lot worse if I try to open other apps, webb, or even flip through the home screens.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat