cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

Patron

Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

All I want to know is, if there will ever be another firmware update for the HERO?  Its a simple question.  If the answer is "yes", then I will hold on to your Sprint because the HERO is a great smart phone.  If the answer is "no", just freaking tell me that, I can care less about the legal reasons why there wont be another firmware update, I just want to be told the truth so I can move on to a different carrier.  I'm a new customer Sprint and I left AT&T just for the HERO and you are currently making the decision to pay the early termination fee an easy one.

Is this too much to ask of your Sprint?

Message was edited by: DjD808

Tags (2)
20 REPLIES 20
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

Yes - we're committed to delivering a huge firmware update - Android OS 2.1 - in the next two months.

(I've moved this thread to the Hero forums - you can see all kinds of disuccsion about Android 2.1 in there)

Thanks for the post!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

wengla03 wrote:

Yes - we're committed to delivering a huge firmware update - Android OS 2.1 - in the next two months.

(I've moved this thread to the Hero forums - you can see all kinds of disuccsion about Android 2.1 in there)

Thanks for the post!

Just to follow up on that, the update is actually expected within the next 30 days.

Sprint has said recently that the update is still on track for an "early 2Q10" release, which puts it around mid-May at the latest.

But it's important to note that they have not promised this, and the most definite date they've given is "1H10" a few months ago.

Patron

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

2 months? is that starting today? or is there some caveat that means that this is not an official Sprint statement? Just another someone from some part of the company, formerly known as Sprint but now cdalled Snail, who is not in the "know" and can't be trusted? (from what I can tell from the postings, the "can't be trusted" group seems to include everyone in tier one and tier two technical support ). You must be tier 3?

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

zdrman wrote:

2 months? is that starting today? or is there some caveat that means that this is not an official Sprint statement? Just another someone from some part of the company, formerly known as Sprint but now cdalled Snail, who is not in the "know" and can't be trusted? (from what I can tell from the postings, the "can't be trusted" group seems to include everyone in tier one and tier two technical support ). You must be tier 3?

Sprint officially and publicly promised the first half of the year. There are about two months left for that. That's where the two months comes from.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

jonnythan518 wrote:

zdrman wrote:

2 months? is that starting today? or is there some caveat that means that this is not an official Sprint statement? Just another someone from some part of the company, formerly known as Sprint but now cdalled Snail, who is not in the "know" and can't be trusted? (from what I can tell from the postings, the "can't be trusted" group seems to include everyone in tier one and tier two technical support ). You must be tier 3?

Sprint officially and publicly promised the first half of the year. There are about two months left for that. That's where the two months comes from.

Oh...guess what....Sprint also officially and publicaly promised "early 2nd quarter" ....after that first half promise (in which that deadline will fall in 8 days, and we all know that aint gonna happen). I really want an EVO, but Im going to opt for the Nexus instead. At least the Nexus will receive important and timely updates (as forced by Google) whether Sprint likes it or not. As a Nexus owner, I will receive 2.5 st least 6-9 months before any Sence enabled device.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

troyboytn1972 wrote:

jonnythan518 wrote:

zdrman wrote:

2 months? is that starting today? or is there some caveat that means that this is not an official Sprint statement? Just another someone from some part of the company, formerly known as Sprint but now cdalled Snail, who is not in the "know" and can't be trusted? (from what I can tell from the postings, the "can't be trusted" group seems to include everyone in tier one and tier two technical support ). You must be tier 3?

Sprint officially and publicly promised the first half of the year. There are about two months left for that. That's where the two months comes from.

Oh...guess what....Sprint also officially and publicaly promised "early 2nd quarter" ....after that first half promise (in which that deadline will fall in 8 days, and we all know that aint gonna happen). I really want an EVO, but Im going to opt for the Nexus instead. At least the Nexus will receive important and timely updates (as forced by Google) whether Sprint likes it or not. As a Nexus owner, I will receive 2.5 st least 6-9 months before any Sence enabled device.

There is no reason "early 2Q10"  can't simply mean the first half of the second quarter.

That lines up with the internal memos we've seen about training and release, which indicate around the second week of May. Cutting it close to the first half of 2Q, but we're kind of splitting hairs here.

Hey, where's that 2.1 update for the Eris, G1, and MyTouch 3G?

6-9 months is also a completely fabricated range. You're looking at, what, 3 months since 2.1 for it to be released on the Hero? Give me a break.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

Every day that passes without 2.1, I am closer to rooting and flashing the most recent version of 2.1. The pictures look sick.    

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

sjprivitera wrote:

Every day that passes without 2.1, I am closer to rooting and flashing the most recent version of 2.1. The pictures look sick.   

I highly recommend it. There really aren't many reasons not to.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

I already did it on my Moment.

I don't know what other people were told, but we were unequivocally told 1st or 2nd week in May.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

jonny,

Arent there still some glitches with the 2.1 flash? I know it works for the most part.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint, will the Hero ever get another firmware update?!?

sjprivitera wrote:

jonny,

Arent there still some glitches with the 2.1 flash? I know it works for the most part.

Yeah, there are. Bluetooth, as I understand, doesn't work that much better than 1.5 (I don't use BT), there's a weird bug where if you push Menu twice to unlock to the home screen it acts as if you pushed Menu three times (the menu pops up - there's a fix for this, though), some people experience audio issues (again, there is a separate fix for this), and some people experience 100% wake times that appear to be caused by app-related incompatibilities, but not really sure. I had the problem and removing Slacker seemed to cure it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat