cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprints Handling of 2.1 in Hindsight.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprints Handling of 2.1 in Hindsight.

I know there are a billion discussions on 2.1, and I've said enough have been created.  Well, if people who complained a lot about unreasonable gripes can keep creating more (not all the complaint threads were unreasonable, but there were a lot that were), I'm going to create one that is just a statement of fact.  Sprint has done somethings wrong and others right.

1.  Sprints communication was on the low side of quality, but by no means were they ever in the wrong.

2.  It is highly likely that they thought they could hit early 2Q2010 with the definition of early being the first half of the quarter (since they only missed it by 4 days).

3.  It is unlikely that this release ever stood a chance of being released 1Q2010, except POSSIBLY when it was just to 2.0.  They should have just said 2Q2010 all along and not had half a year as a range.  They were definitely in the wrong on this.

4.  It came out within a week of verizon announcing the update to the eris, and just like the eris, the announcement for it was the same day as release.  Verizon announced people would be getting it sent to them over 2 weeks, some probably still haven't recieved it yet.  Most people I know got it in the last 2-3 days.  I think I still know some who haven't gotten it.  Sprint was on almost the exact timeline, and Sprint probably has it now available to EVERY HERO OWNER before EVERY ERIS OWNER has access to it.  So while Verizion decided OTA while spread out, and Sprint decided just to put it online where everyone could get it as quick as possible, it's a wash.  All that complaining last week was a waste of typing.

5.  The update is lacking a few big things, and it can't solve everything.  I believe ring lag probably did go down for most people, but I also believe it (and natural processor lag) is inherrent in the phone and not something that can be done away with.  That sucks.  I haven't noticed much ring lag since I tried the rom I tried.

6.  For pete's sake just download the keyboard apps that have the voice-text input button PROBLEM SOLVED! (it's better anyway).

7.   To make google maps navigator allow for much faster voice input of locations, download NAV Launcher.  It is seriously 2 clicks of buttons instead of about 7.

8.  And to all those that said it was all about the EVO.... yeah, completely off base.  That definitely wasn't the delay, not sure what it was, but obviously now, that wasn't it.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprints Handling of 2.1 in Hindsight.

immortalmoth wrote: ... I'm going to create one that is just a statement of fact.

LOL When are you going to do that? As I read the list you made:

1. Pure opinion

2. Speculation

3. Speculation + opinion

4. Fact(!) + speculation + opinion

5. Truthiness plus speculation

6. Recommendation + opinion

7. Recommendation

8. Speculation

Not saying that I disagree with all of your opinions and speculation, but stating flat out that you're going to lay down the facts of the matter and then proceeding to list a bunch of your opinions and speculation is (in my opinion) pretty funny. The one objective fact in there is that the official Sprint release of the 2.1 update to the Hero did indeed come about a week after the official Verizon release, and the availability to users is indeed consistent with an OTA vs OTW update. But as for the rest....

Highlighted
Journeyman

And the half arse version of 2.1 that we got still sucks balls.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alright Alright.. you got me..

Fact:  The word fact was not the best word.

Reality:  The point was to look at things realistically now that we know the date sprint released it.  Instead of blind speculation, it's speculation with a look at the result.  I think if you evaluate my opinions you will see that most are highly realistic compared to some of the wild speculation before.

And to Corona or whatever you want to name your self next:  Verizon did NO better than sprint on this.  They could have given vague dates, but chose not to give ANYTHING.  Instead people here complained they wanted MORE info that wasn't possible to give.  Sprint gave ranges that were vague yes, but it is still more info.  And the only promise they ever gave (from higher up sprint media, not from instore employees who should have not said a thing cuz they knew nothing) was 1h2010, which they hit, and when it was looking likely for the first half of 2q2010, they said that it was likely to be in that half of 2q2010 but never promised it.  Turns out it was only 4 days after.  So likely they thought it could be done.  That was WAY more info than verizon did.  And Sprints delivery vs Verizons delivery mode were the only difference between the 2 dates it was actually released.  Sprint released to EVERYONE in the middle of  Verizons range.

Oh, and the updates are the same, my roommate has an Eris.  Checked it out.   It's just as half arse of 2.1... which is due to the phone.  You bought a phone that could only handle 1.5, and it is given half arsed version of 2.1, whether you have the phone with verizon or sprint.

I don't see any way shape or form you could say verizon did this better.  They have the same complaints we do about the end result.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are correct, the Eris is as limited as the Hero. Did you happen to notice that this version is the same version that has been leaked for weeks? Why did Sprint sit on this? No changes were made. As for the phone not being able to handle speech to text.... that is just not true.

Either way I am going to V because of one reason.. customer service. Sprint screwed the pooch in their correspondence with me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The communication in this process was horrible. There were out and out lies and mistruths.  When they were pointed out Sprint redefined words to make it look not as bad on them.   I still think they need to explain the delay, and preemptivly tell us if this is the last O/S update for this phone.

They have been sitting on the release for god knows what reason, and my speculation is that the outcry of people contacting executive level customer service may have shortened the wait.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat