cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop using task killers. The End.

Journeyman

Stop using task killers. The End.

If you're having issues with your phone that you can't pinpoint, stop using task killers. Or at least stop using them until you're sure they're not the source of some of your problems. The only way you can verify this is by not installing them.

I've seen throughout these discussions where the two things in common with the people who can't seem to get something to work like the other 95% of people are 1) that they use a task killer (usually Advanced Task Killer) or 2) they don't hard reset their phone when advised.

I work in the technical support field and I know from experience that if someone doesn't think what you're asking them is related, they won't do it. Just try it folks.

I saw this video on android.com a while back http://www.android.com/videos/#video=appswithoutborders which is why apps shouldn't be randomly closed.

Message was edited by: capitalf

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Stop using task killers. The End.

Yes, if not careful you can kill critical processes. I used the "kill all processes" once and I stopped receiving text messages until I restarted my phone. I use one now but am careful to only kill third party applications that I know aren't critical to the phone operation.

Highlighted
Wizard

definitely don't kill the clock application, then you won't get your alarm the next morning!  Very bad, very bad.  I have started to leave my phone alone more and let it decide what is best.  I only kill apps that pop up for no reason at all, like the Sprint Navigation, NFL mobile live, IM, etc.  I know I don't need those, so those get killed.  Otherwise, you can kill processes that make your phone function, like HTC sense.  You can also set an ignore list though, which is what I have done for those that I have identified as important.

Overall, I think keeping an eye on your tasks is important if you are unable to get to a charger all day, fortunately, that is pretty rare for me as I know have chargers littered throughout my life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I saw this video on android.com a while back http://www.android.com/videos/#video=appswithoutborders which is why apps shouldn't be randomly closed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've stopped using task managers and it's made my experience a lot better.  No missing texts, no clock issues, widgets are updating properly.  I don't have to compulsively pick up my phone and kill all tasks every 15 minutes.  I'm letting Android manage the memory and kill programs on its own and it's great for me.  Most of the issues I have read, except for the 100% awake issue, always has someone running a task killer or task manager of some kind which probably contributes to their issue.  So, for the past couple of days I've been enjoying the phone a lot more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am doing someting similar. I only close those tasks that I open. So after browsing the internet, I simply switch to my Home Screen and then kill my browser. Or if I post on Facebook, I simply close it when I am done.  Seems to be working pretty well for me so far. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I guess I could try not closing anything and see what kind of performance I get.

Message was edited by: gregbridwell

Highlighted
Journeyman

Funny you mentioned this, I just performed a factory data reset and installed all my apps except task panel.  I did the sms fix for the awake time and now I'm going to see how the phone performs without the task killer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let us know what you find.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Weird, I have been using the free Green Robot icon Advanced Task Killer to much success. My phone is fast, I get all my texts and emails, and now after a week of good charges my battery life is now excellent.

The first task killer I downloaded (red robot icon), kept killing a bunch of stuff I was unsure of. This new one only closes the apps I choose, like gmail, browser, voice dialer, and what not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

atlbuc

I did the same as you last night.  I did 3 previous factory resets and immediately installed a task killer advance task killer to be exact. And all three times my phone would be back at 100% within 12 hours.  This last time, I didnt install a task killer and what do youknow I have been at 15% for 24 hours now.  So needless to say I am done with task killers.   i have not missed a text and my battery is fine.  I have installed all other previous apps as well and no issues.  I am not saying that ADTK is the key but it seemed to have worked for me thus far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do you kill off, or stop using the built-in messenger program after installing Handcent or ChompSMS if you have no taskkiller ?

I think I might try a factory reset tonight to try solve the missing SMS problem but am unsure exactly how the battery life 'fix' is meant to work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

2 separate issues are getting confused.

To fix the 100% awake time issue, just download either chompSMS or Handcent SMS and use those TXT messaging programs instead of the default messaging program. Be sure to turn off notifications in the default program or else you'll get dual notifications when you get a text.  Then set the third-party SMS program as the default application for texting by going into one of your contacts and press Send Message.  It will ask you what program to use.  Check the default box and choose the program you want to use for all future texting. 

The moment you send a text with the default messaging program is when the 100% awake time bug starts.

To fix all the other problems, don't install any task management programs.

Message was edited by: Tikerz

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat